Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:18 PM

16 posts, read 37,789 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our insurance agent has recommended we pay for a 'Wind Mitigation Survey" done on our home by a licensed general contractor. He says it will save us money on our homeowners insurance.

We re-did the entire roof less than 3 years ago. The company pulled a permit and so on, which is required for the insurance "discount" we may receive.

The cost is $100 for the survey.

At this point, I trust no one when it comes to homeowners insurance in this state. Have you read the newspaper lately? God, what a crooked state we live in.

Anyway, is it worth the investment of $100 to have it done?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,556 times
My father had it done as his house was +10 years old. He had a guy fixing his front doors - they like to swing open in high winds. He recommended that my dad get the study done. I can't remember all of the details, but the guy basically said if it doesn't dave you x amount on your policy, I won't charge you. My dad ended up saving $1200 a year. So it can definately worth it. Our home is brand new, so we wouldn't benefit from it.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:59 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
Yeah, we had one done a few years ago. It seems standard in Orlando.

Old 05-22-2023, 02:18 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
Hi,

Our insurance agent has recommended we pay for a 'Wind Mitigation Survey" done on our home by a licensed general contractor. He says it will save us money on our homeowners insurance.

We re-did the entire roof less than 3 years ago. The company pulled a permit and so on, which is required for the insurance "discount" we may receive.

At this point, I trust no one when it comes to homeowners insurance in this state. Have you read the newspaper lately? God, what a crooked state we live in.

Thanks.
Absolutely!

I've had them done after a re-roof or on a new home purchase. On average I would say they saved $400 off my insurance policy. Talk to your insurer and they'll be able to identify what they offer in the way of a discount with a wind mitigation survey.

Money well spent.

RM

Old 05-22-2023, 04:55 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
I had it done as part of the overall home inspection process when I bought my house. The agent gave me a price without the survey and with it. It was more than worth it. And, I paid more than $100 for that aspect of the inspection.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:55 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Definitely, 100% worth it!

Old 05-24-2023, 08:18 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
When my new roof was installed the insurance broker had me get the wind mit, which sounds crazy as the new roof was permitted. But the roofing company included the wind mit which of course can't be performed by the roofing company that installed the roof.

This was the first time, but not the last time different insurance companies are telling owners to have a wind mit performed. This almost sounds like a scam for newer roofs to require that.

But if that is what it takes to get the lower quote than you have not much choice.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:40 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
We recently shopped around for HOI. 6 y.o. house with 6 y.o. roof. Hubby called one company, they asked if we have wind mitigation papers, but husband said no as he didn't remember we had it. We got a quote. I called back few hours later and spoke with the person who provided the quote - explained that we have wind mitigation. He asked for info from the paperwork, told me where to look for answers he needed. Quoted price went down by $60. I couldn't believe my eyes and double checked. This is a joke when saving is less than the actual cost of wind mitigation inspection...

Old 06-04-2023, 07:27 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
We recently shopped around for HOI. 6 y.o. house with 6 y.o. roof. Hubby called one company, they asked if we have wind mitigation papers, but husband said no as he didn't remember we had it. We got a quote. I called back few hours later and spoke with the person who provided the quote - explained that we have wind mitigation. He asked for info from the paperwork, told me where to look for answers he needed. Quoted price went down by $60. I couldn't believe my eyes and double checked. This is a joke when saving is less than the actual cost of wind mitigation inspection...
That seems to be an exception and not in general. Most insurances go way down based on wind mitigation and roof certification and in your case you were missing the roof certification.

Old 06-04-2023, 10:40 AM

4,614 posts, read 7,535,442 times
A wind mitigation inspection (also called a windstorm mitigation inspection) is when a certified inspector inspects your home for wind-resistant features. These features can be anything from door/window coverings (hurricane shutters) to the way your roof is attached to your home to how your roof is sealed to prevent water from entering. The Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form is a standardized form that can only be completed by inspectors that are certified to complete the forms, not all home inspectors are certified for Wind Mit.

Many insurance companies now require both a wind mitigation report and a 4-point home inspection report (roof, electrical, plumbing, HVAC system) before they will quote insurance rates on older homes. Different insurance companies have different requirements for when you need to start providing these reports. I've seen as little as 5 - 6 years to 10 years as a starting point, but most seem to fall into that 5 - 7 year range.

As to why the wind mitigation inspection report did not yield significant savings for a home built in 2006, your insurance agent should be able to provide a definite answer. However, based on my recent dealings with insurance agents while searching for replacement coverage (previous company pulled out of our part of FL), it is probably because the insurance company is already factoring in most of the wind mitigation savings into your policy based on when the home was built and required building codes at that time.

The laws creating the uniform FL building codes went into effect in 2002 and require the building codes to be updated at a minimum of every 3 years. A 2006 built homes falls under the building code changes that went into effect Oct 1 of 2005. The next big changes were in 2009 and 2012, 2015, 2018 and the latest changes effective Jan 1, 2021. Most insurance companies use 1994 as a significant cut off year, with homes built before 1994 having the least amount of wind resistance and therefore the insurance rates are much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: