Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,340,302 times

Advertisements

I'm restoring an old cottage to rent out. Want to remove bathroom door which swings out into a small passageway and replace with a hanging barn door or some interesting wood hanging on barn door-type track system.

I could have gone with a pocket door but didn't want to move all the electric inside the wall. Plus I've got a blank wall outside the bath doing nothing but waiting for the bathroom door to swing open against it. A hanging door will make it into a functional centerpiece of the house as it is seen from parts of the living room and on the way to the bedrooms.

Hoping someone here knows of a store selling to the public recycled architectural products (where I might find an interesting old door or old wood to use) and also a store selling supplies for barn raising, um, I mean, barn construction. I could go new on the hinge but I'd like to find something rustic for the door hardware and would love to find an interesting older rolling hinge set with some wear to it.

Example of the type of product I'm seeking...

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 AM

Here is the before pic of bathroom when cottage was rented by previous owner for $600/month (years after housing prices and rents collapsed)...

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/bath.jpg (broken link)

The after pics (I guess the rents are gonna be going up)...

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/IMG_0736_1.jpg (broken link)

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/IMG_0735_1.jpg (broken link)

Hallway I want to clear out by replacing swing door with sliding barn door...

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/IMG_0732_1.jpg (broken link)

Wall space currently wasted by swing door...

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/IMG_0733_1.jpg (broken link)

Proposed replacement by sliding barn door (imagination required)...

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/barnbathdoor.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,138,808 times
Good job on the bathroom remodel. I noticed the vanity light needs to be improved upon in the after pic. Great job. I hate bathroom remodels, especiallsy when it comes to replacing a tub. YUCK. NOt sure if this is what you are looking for. Interesting idea using a sliding door. I got a feeling renters will either love it or hate it when they look at it. Good Luck!

Johnson Hardware® SLIDING DOOR HARDWARE

Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM

17,566 posts, read 39,222,969 times
You could try this salvage place in Deland:

FLORIDA VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURAL ANTIQUES | Vintage building & house materials and parts

Also, try your local Habitat Restore - although you aren't likely to find "barn" type building materials there. You also might check into rural towns like Dade City and see if they have salvage yards where you might find what you are looking for.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:33 PM

"You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself."~~Garden Party

Gots da lamp. But was hoping to find a better match to the faucet so haven't yet installed. Also haven't decided on whether to install backsplash. My friends told me to add it but I like the clean line of not having it there. Also undecided on towel racks. Might just go hooks or hoops. I think most people get lazy and only want to drape a towel instead of bothering to neatly hanging it on a horizontal rack after each use. And with hooks the bathroom would show off more tile and less towel.

I replaced tub with shower to reduce water use & ease entry. I thought a shower would reduce potential dangers like baby drownings, anyone slipping, the elderly tripping over the side, etc. The entire bathroom is cement boarded behind all the tile & on walls and floor & under the shower, of course, to minimize potential water damage to wood frame cottage. Installed nice combo exhaust/ceiling lamp.

Have issue with toilet paper holder. Space very limited. I'd rather not mount it opposite toilet where it would be in plain sight from outside the bath, if I can avoid that. Now you can see where toilet sticks out into doorway. So I was thinking the rolling barn door could solve that problem as I can mount the hardware so that when the barn door is open it only goes as far open as to cover the toilet seat from being seen from the living room--and then, ok, this is where I get weird--leaving enough space to mount the toilet roll on the back side of the rolling door.

When the door is open, the paper is right next to the toilet seat, easy to reach but not too close to be uncomfortable. When the door is rolled closed, the paper travels only a standard arms length away. It will be a rolling roll of toilet paper. Now who wouldn't love that?

Would like to have gone with pedestal sink but needed to add storage. Found that great little unit with both door & two drawers. Thought was perfect for that space.

Fun with photoshop

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/photoshoppedbathbarndoorb.jpg (broken link)

Already had found or knew of some out of area places to shop (hate shopping, really) & online such as Sarasota Architectural Salvage : Historic, Antique & Unique Building Materials : Sarasota, FL &
Barn Door Hinges and Locks - Better Barns Hardware and Plans but was hoping to find local to Tampa. Looks like there was a place that went out of biz around 2005. Was called Historic Bldg Products, at one time on Columbus in Ybor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay