Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times

Advertisements

All 3 have good schools. All 3 seem to be about the same drive time from my work (Wesley Chapel may be the longest). All 3 seem to have reasonable places to rent and have a sense of community. Basically, from what I can tell, they are very much alike. Again, 3 kids 8, 6 and 4 so family friendly neighborhoods with other kids and schools are important. As are community pools and parks.

What is different about these 3 places? Does one have anything the other doesn't?

Thanks Again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:16 AM

24 posts, read 93,178 times
We are in Land O Lakes and love it, the schools are great!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
We are in wesley Chapel and love it and our kids school is very good, but it all comes down to the individual, because another kid might have a different view.

It also comes down how motivated the student is and what subjects they take...the higher the subjects the more motivated students you will have in the classroom and the more motivated the teacher is then having sleeping kids who aren't doing much...and they are in every school to be found.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:09 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
I'm not a fan of neither, way too far from everything.....I would go with Lutz, 33558, 33548, some areas of Carrollwood...... JMO

Old 04-18-2010, 10:47 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Depends on what you are looking for in an area.
New area and newer homes I would go with either Wesley Chapel or Riverview. Usually small yards and houses close together.

Land O lakes has some new developments but there are lots of older homes too that are not cookie cutter homes. The yards are large and you are close to shopping.

Carrollwood or Lutz are also nice. It is all in what would make you and your family happy.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Algia, how long of a drive is lutz to Rocky Point? Thanks

From the posts planted here, it seems like all the areas I have picked are good and family oriented. We're more the type of 'newer house' people and like communities which have pools, parks, etc. I've noticed that older neighborhoods generally do not have sidewalks. I don't care for houses being so close together, but its a trade off for having that roman tub and stand up shower along with walk in closets and a 2 car garage.

We'll be sure to drive around all of these neighborhoods. Keeper mentioned Land O Lakes has shopping near it, which honestly I like. Do all the other areas have plenty shopping as well? Thanks Again.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:48 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
AlaskaKash,

From my side of Lutz (33558/Hillsborough County/Cheval) it takes me probably 20 minutes to Rocky Point on Veterans hwy, (toll rd)...Yes, stay away from the East side of Lutz indeed, it is very sketchy, anything east of SR41. My side of Lutz and parts of South Odessa are very nice, the houses are NOT on top of each other and we have pools, every house here has a pool matter of fact, separate tub and shower and we have a 3 car garage which we try very hard not to use as storage facility....and you won't find many sidewalks in Florida anywhere, sorry, nor you want to find yourself on one outside a subdivision with the way ppl drive around here......Dale Mabry which is our main drag, has sidewalks only on one side of the road and not for the entire length of the road.

Carrollwood Village has some wonderful homes, with 3 car garages even, sure there's a patch of smaller homes as well, again it all depends on your price range...first move and check them all out then you'll see what I mean.

Land O Lakes is very tricky, there are few nice sub-divisions off of SR54 and that's it, much longer commute to Rocky Point and from Wesley Chapel EVEN LONGER...stay away from anything north on SR41 the further you go up north that way the more depressing it gets....my son's pediatrician is up there 5 miles up on 41 from SR54 and every time I go up there I feel like I fell of the planet....everything is dilapidated and darn right depressing. I will leave it to that as that is the nicest description I can give online.

I think if you worked at Rocky Point your best bet housing wise (and that is so you don't become hostage of your gas tank) would be either Lutz, (my side), Odessa, and possibly Westchase, there are a few nice subdivisions there too...off of Sheldon Rd, however Sheldon Rd is a bit sketchy as it has some trailer parks right in the middle of it....but you can check that out after you move and of course Carrollwood...my vote goes for Carrollwood or Lutz, ....we have everything here as far as shopping is concerned and all tho NOT in walking distance per say, (Calusa Trace IS indeed in waking distance from Publix, our grocery chain, but I have yet to see anyone from there walking to the store for groceries) everything is within 8 minutes with a car.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
AlaskaKash,

From my side of Lutz (33558/Hillsborough County/Cheval) it takes me probably 20 minutes to Rocky Point on Veterans hwy, (toll rd)...Yes, stay away from the East side of Lutz indeed, it is very sketchy, anything east of SR41. My side of Lutz and parts of South Odessa are very nice, the houses are NOT on top of each other and we have pools, every house here has a pool matter of fact, separate tub and shower and we have a 3 car garage which we try very hard not to use as storage facility....and you won't find many sidewalks in Florida anywhere, sorry, nor you want to find yourself on one outside a subdivision with the way ppl drive around here......Dale Mabry which is our main drag, has sidewalks only on one side of the road and not for the entire length of the road.

Carrollwood Village has some wonderful homes, with 3 car garages even, sure there's a patch of smaller homes as well, again it all depends on your price range...first move and check them all out then you'll see what I mean.

Land O Lakes is very tricky, there are few nice sub-divisions off of SR54 and that's it, much longer commute to Rocky Point and from Wesley Chapel EVEN LONGER...stay away from anything north on SR41 the further you go up north that way the more depressing it gets....my son's pediatrician is up there 5 miles up on 41 from SR54 and every time I go up there I feel like I fell of the planet....everything is dilapidated and darn right depressing. I will leave it to that as that is the nicest description I can give online.

I think if you worked at Rocky Point your best bet housing wise (and that is so you don't become hostage of your gas tank) would be either Lutz, (my side), Odessa, and possibly Westchase, there are a few nice subdivisions there too...off of Sheldon Rd, however Sheldon Rd is a bit sketchy as it has some trailer parks right in the middle of it....but you can check that out after you move and of course Carrollwood...my vote goes for Carrollwood or Lutz, ....we have everything here as far as shopping is concerned and all tho NOT in walking distance per say, (Calusa Trace IS indeed in waking distance from Publix, our grocery chain, but I have yet to see anyone from there walking to the store for groceries) everything is within 8 minutes with a car.
Algia,

Thanks for the detailed descriptions. 3 car garage homes are definitely going to be out of our price range. We're going to rent at no more than $1200 to get a feel for the actual cost of living down there. It's so different from where I am, I feel the best way to establish a good family budget is to start kind cheap. Of course, with that said I have no desire to move into ghetto neighborhoods.

I think I will scratch Land O Lakes and Wesley Chapel off my list. I think Riverview may still be a top contender and I will see what I can find on the WEST SIDE of Lutz and Carrollwood. Not too concerned of being a hostage to my gas tank as I already have to remove start my SUV for 20 minutes each day to warm it up and then drive 15 miles in an SUV. We are selling the SUV to get a much more economical Accord or Camry when we arrive in Tampa. See! I am helping to stimulate the economy down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay