Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsherr View Post
I would never move until I know that either my boyfriend or myself had a secure job lined up BEFORE we packed up and moved!

We are currently planning a trip for September (sometime around Labor Day) to come down and check things out. I've read alot about people saying that the South Tampa area would be good. So as for the area, is it basically south of I275 from Old Tampa Bay on the west to Hillsborough Bay on the East?
You are right. if you go south of Gandy Blvd it is considered SOG or interbay. Housing close to Gandy, not too bad but there are some areas that are iffy. North of Gandy to Kennedy are all good areas. You can live on the Tampa Bay for 1K a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:27 PM

129 posts, read 304,824 times
Sorry to seem to disappear! We are still wanting to move to Tampa, but we have started our savings first and decided to keep doing our thing here in Memphis until February 2012. If we keep saving the way we are now, we should have around 4 months of savings by the time we want to move...
The only thing that has changed since I opened this thread, is that we got another kid... a furry kid that is So we now have two dogs and I was promoted at my job so i now have management experience too.

I wanted to know if anyone has lived in or visited Memphis and moved to Tampa and could compare the two... Through my job, I meet people that have lived all over the world and I have had several people tell me that Memphis and Tampa are pretty similar. Is this true?

We are going to be coming down there at the end of October, during halloween time. Is halloween fun in Tampa?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 AM

121 posts, read 385,614 times
You should check out St. Petersburg downtown, you will probably like it. It fits into what you are looking for.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:09 PM

southern st pete's is sketchy right? or so ive read. is there an east to west running road that i could use as a boundary?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 AM

34 posts, read 88,282 times
South St. Pete is pretty sketchy, and the crime rate has gone up quite a bit in many areas. Check out South Tampa, its pretty much exactly what you seem to be looking for. It begins South of Kennedy Blvd. All great neighborhoods and very safe, but still convienent and not far from food, night life, and like 20 minutes to beaches.

However, anything south of Gandy Blvd (known as SOG) is not an area you want to live in, its just very old and run down. However, anywhere other than that in South Tampa is great.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 AM

okay, wonderful! thank you so much!
i have another question about south tampa. are there any dog parks there? if not how far away are they? Is it pretty dog friendly there?

Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM

there are a few I'm aware of on Davis Island ( man made Island located near downtown Tampa) Palma Ceia Park on S. Obrapia St. is next to the crosstown which leads to Brandon (a well known Tampa suburb) and Gadsen Park.

Its dog friendly in my estimation, many people I know have one or a few dogs, I could probably answer the question more definitively if I know what specific aspects of the city you feel would be good for dogs/what you are looking for.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,256 times
If you're coming late October check out Guavaween - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Ybor has a couple great events annually.

Of all the dog parks I like the one on Davis Island. It's waterfront. Not all owners are responsible as you can imagine at any dogpark.

You might want to check out South Tampa areas, Channelside area apartments, Harbour Island apartments, Ybor stuff, Seminole Heights and St Pete stuff while visiting. They all are unique and then you can focus on a particular area.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM

nickbosy-I guess when i think dog friendly, I just want to be able to walk my pups down the street or maybe take them on a patio for lunch Also, just having dog parks is a huge plus for us. We have had one in Memphis for about a year now, and they just love it. I know that certain beaches there allow pets, which I am excited about.

Innertuber- Thank you for recommending areas, that will be very helpful. As I said, we will be there from October 31st to probably November 4th or 5th and I would like to have a few areas mapped out.

Another question I have: Are there any weekly publications (magazines, newspapers...) that list what's going on in the city and surrounding areas? Festivals, happy hours, special events... We have the Memphis Flyer here and I absolutely love it. It is so helpful!

And about St. Pete's: Can anyone tell me the "border" of the safe area? How far south is not safe?

Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 PM

Well then by your definition, like another poster mentioned South Tampa to be the place you'd like to be (if your goal is to be in Tampa proper). I live in south Tampa and live near a small park and people always walk around with their dogs. I can't say the same about other areas of the city.

As for weekly publications....the closest would probably be The Tampa Bay Times, its free and lets art festivals, concerts, conventions, exhibits, performances coming to the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center in Downtown, Sports schedules. Many things. You could also find a small list in the Tampa Tribune or St. Petersburg Times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay