Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:25 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,629,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
Hi,

The opthamologist tells me I need glasses, progressive lenses is what he recommended.

So I took his eyeglass RX and went to a one-hour place. I selelcted frames that cost $100 and was told the lenses would start at $280 and could go as highs as $360 depending on lens coatings for scratch resistance and so on.

Is $400 (give or take) a usual price for glasses?

Might anyone here know of a place I can get progressive lenses less expensively?

Thank you.
I paid over $400 for my glasses more than once. Then I decided to go to Walmart, and last time there I paid $200. Got the Nikon glass plus antiglare.

I am not sure why you're surprised though? Unless you come from some other country. Most medical things here are ten times more expensive than anywhere else in the world. Dentists want you to brush your teeth with a $300 tooth brush too...and it goes on, and on, and on and on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 09:17 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,191,754 times
Medical costs in the U.S. are not controlled by the government as it is in some other countries.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:05 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,629,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Medical costs in the U.S. are not controlled by the government as it is in some other countries.
And that is a mistake that hurts the consumer. (NOT being regulated by the Gov I meant).

Old 04-04-2015, 01:39 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,191,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
And that is a mistake that hurts the consumer. (NOT being regulated by the Gov I meant).
Its called "free market". Not a mistake.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:34 AM

5,983 posts, read 7,439,275 times
A former neighbor owns their own optometry practice. I go to them for my eye exams.

As soon as I'm done, they shuffle me into a room with the walls covered with glasses frames, and their "fitter" starts in with the titanium frames and lenses with autochromatic coatings, blah, blah, blah. When I tell them I'm not going to spend $500 on a pair of lenses and frames, I just get a blank stare.

I ask for a copy of my prescription and head out the door.

Be careful when you get your prescription, as in many cases I have found that it will be missing critical information, such as pupil distance (PD), that is required for getting glasses. This is just one way they try to keep you from going out on your own and getting glasses.

I have used online suppliers a number of times and been very pleased. They're quick, inexpensive, and you can get far more for your money this way. Most have vey liberal return policies, I've found.

Because I buy my own glasses online, I can usually afford several pairs instead of just one. This has also allowed me to buy prescription sunglasses, which are really great!

RM

Old 04-05-2015, 06:03 AM

27,221 posts, read 46,869,115 times
I got trifocal lenses and bought buy one get one free so I have 2 nice frames with both transition lenses and one has high definition lenses.

I did have a hard time getting used to it and as another person mentioned I also got sick to my stomach and nauseous like I was in a rollercoaster.

I went back and they changed it and went back again and then changed the frame to a regular clarity from high definition which helped but I got also pain in my neck and I had huge issues to adjust. The also adjusted the frames a few times.

After a while and using my old frames again and now and then putting the new ones on it seem to get better. The other paid I never went back with and kept the high definition lenses since that one was bothering me less.

Now I'm totally adjusted and it seems that due to the trifocal you have to hold you head in a certain position since the every part of the lese is for something different.

In the end I love my frames and the help I got at the store and for approx. $ 850 for 2 frames with trifocal transition lenses and one being high definition, I believe I didn't pay too much since both are also brand name frames which we all know cost more and frames are one of the items that can be made cheap and sold for high prices but that was my choice to buy them.

I also figured out that the shape of the lenses make a huge difference for trifocal.

Mine cam from Eyseglassworld and I went back so often that I felt bad for them but they always stayed friendly and helpful and now I love them so a happy customer again!

Old 04-05-2015, 07:53 AM

676 posts, read 1,276,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I got trifocal lenses and bought buy one get one free so I have 2 nice frames with both transition lenses and one has high definition lenses.

I did have a hard time getting used to it and as another person mentioned I also got sick to my stomach and nauseous like I was in a rollercoaster.

I went back and they changed it and went back again and then changed the frame to a regular clarity from high definition which helped but I got also pain in my neck and I had huge issues to adjust. The also adjusted the frames a few times.

After a while and using my old frames again and now and then putting the new ones on it seem to get better. The other paid I never went back with and kept the high definition lenses since that one was bothering me less.

Now I'm totally adjusted and it seems that due to the trifocal you have to hold you head in a certain position since the every part of the lense is for something different.

In the end I love my frames and the help I got at the store and for approx. $ 850 for 2 frames with trifocal transition lenses and one being high definition, I believe I didn't pay too much since both are also brand name frames which we all know cost more and frames are one of the items that can be made cheap and sold for high prices but that was my choice to buy them.

I also figured out that the shape of the lenses make a huge difference for trifocal.

Mine cam from Eyseglassworld and I went back so often that I felt bad for them but they always stayed friendly and helpful and now I love them so a happy customer again!
I had trifocals for a year and I was always bobbing my head up and down to see. I have been wearing progressive lenses for more than 10 years and absolutely love them compared to bi- and tri-focals.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:30 PM

5,983 posts, read 7,439,275 times
I vote for progressives, too. I only need correction for up close stuff like reading and computer. I've had progressives since I started wearing glasses a few years ago, and they're easy to adjust to.

RM

Old 04-05-2015, 01:03 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,144,984 times
I have been wearing glasses since the 4 th grade now I'm 60 yrs old, have had every type of lense out there and it is what it is when it comes to glasses and when you get to my age I have to have a new pair every other year if not sooner.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:24 AM

47 posts, read 37,673 times
that's not unusual at all. That is why I've ordered my last two pair online. The last ones I got were progressives with Transition lenses with anti scratch coating and AG and they cost $141 from EyeBuyDirect.com. All you need to know is your PD and segment height and your set!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: