Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,747 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions on neighborhoods.

- Less than 15 Minute Drive to the Water (interested in boating)
- Less than 60 Minute Drive to Tampa Airport
- Restaurants, Nightlife, Shopping within 15 Minute Drive

- Single Family House (price range 500-750k)
- Safe Neighborhood
- English is the Primary Language
- No Zero Lot Line Developments Where all the Houses Look the Same and are Right on Top of Each Other
- No Retirement Neighborhoods

Any feedback on areas to check out, or areas to avoid would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Waterworld777; 07-26-2021 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 07:29 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,299,262 times
You've got a lot of choices for that budget. I suggest looking at Dunedin, Tarpon Springs, and Safety Harbor. Any of those areas near the water are nice for the most part. St. Pete is a great option too, look at the Old Northeast and Snell Isle. You could also do one of the Pinellas beach communities if you wanted and they're all nice for the most part.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:17 AM

17,207 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
You've got a lot of choices for that budget. I suggest looking at Dunedin, Tarpon Springs, and Safety Harbor. Any of those areas near the water are nice for the most part. St. Pete is a great option too, look at the Old Northeast and Snell Isle. You could also do one of the Pinellas beach communities if you wanted and they're all nice for the most part.
This... I recently moved to the Palm Harbor area, and there is SOME nightlife in immediate walking distance, and then Dunedin is 5-10 minutes in one direction, while Tarpon Springs is 5-10 minutes the other way. Water is 10 minutes away. Airport is a 30-45 minute drive.

Literally checks all of your criteria.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 AM

240 posts, read 213,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterworld777 View Post
Hello,

I am looking for suggestions on neighborhoods.

- Less than 15 Minute Drive to the Water (interested in boating)
- Less than 60 Minute Drive to Tampa Airport
- Restaurants, Nightlife, Shopping within 15 Minute Drive

- Single Family House (price range 500-750k)
- Safe Neighborhood
- English is the Primary Language
- No Zero Lot Line Developments Where all the Houses Look the Same and are Right on Top of Each Other
- No Retirement Neighborhoods

Any feedback on areas to check out, or areas to avoid would be appreciated.

Thanks

funny....I hope you're kidding...where the heck do you live NOW? LOL

Old 07-27-2021, 09:47 AM

17,207 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post
funny....I hope you're kidding...where the heck do you live NOW? LOL
Probably mean they don’t want Spanish plastered all over the place the way it is in parts of Tampa, most of Orlando, and all of South Florida. That was my take on it. Which… is an odd request, but to each their own.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:38 PM

323 posts, read 261,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
This is right on point. The only other place I would add is Tarpon Springs.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Probably mean they don’t want Spanish plastered all over the place the way it is in parts of Tampa, most of Orlando, and all of South Florida. That was my take on it. Which… is an odd request, but to each their own.
WOW, yes I guess ignorance is a HUGE PROBLEM for most transplants and wannabeheres !!!!!!

HOW unbelievably stupid for any newcomer to insult our Heritage! Florida is awash with Spanish Heritage for godsake. And no wonder. Spain ruled Florida twice: from 1513 to 1763 and again from 1783 to 1821, when the Spanish gave Florida to the young United States.

Stupid, just plain stupid AND ignorant.

Hundreds of Spanish – or Spanish-sounding – names sprinkle the Florida map, from high-profile tourist destinations such as St. Augustine to designations of subdivisions such as Del Tura, a retirement community near Ft. Myers that translates literally to "of the structure."

Good god.

St. Augustine, of course, was named in 1565 by its founder, conquistador Pedro Menendez de Aviles, for San Agustin, the Catholic Bishop of Hippo.

Heard of these cities, towns, beaches etc etc ?

Desoto (county)
Town of Cortez (Manatee County)
Miami
Largo (meaning "large")
Altamonte Springs (means "high hill")
Escambia county (means "trade")
Columbia county (from Christopher Columbus)
Hernando county (from "hernando de soto)
Leon county (from Ponce de Leon)
Pinellas county (from "point of palms")
St Lucie county (from "Saint Lucia")

• Boca Raton – Often translated as "rat mouth," Boca Raton actually means "mouse mouth." The Spanish word for rat is "rata."
  • Cape Canaveral – Named by Spanish explorers, Canaveral means "a place of reeds or cane."
  • Naranja – The community near Miami means "orange."
  • Ponte Vedra – The community in St. Johns County was named for a city in Spain.
  • Punta Gorda – Spanish explorers may have named the big point of land extending into Charlotte Harbor. It means "fat point." But the city wasn't so named until 1887, well after Florida's Spanish eras.
  • Valparaiso – The name of this city in Okaloosa County was borrowed from the city in Indiana, which in turn was named for the famous Chilean port. It means "valley of paradise."
  • Islamorada – A village in the Florida Keys, its name means "purple island."
  • Escambia – Both a river and a county, the word means "a method of barter."
  • Pinellas – The county derives its name from the words Punta Pinal, meaning "point of pines."
  • Alafia – The river's name possibly derives from the Spanish word meaning a species of dogbane known as oleander or periwinkle.
  • Hernando, Leon, De Soto – These three counties were named for Spanish explorers.
  • Key West – The westernmost island extending from the peninsula. Key West was originally called Bone Island – or Cayo Hueso – by Spanish explorers because they found large quantities of human bones there.
  • Santa Fe – The river, college and community derive the name from a Franciscan mission named Santa Fe de Toloca once located near the river.
Finally, as an example of something named long after the colonial era, there is Lake Buena Vista, home to Walt Disney World Resort. The words mean "good view," and was taken from a street in Burbank.

(credit Visit Florida)

I hate to admit it but our home state doesn't need more utterly ignorant, mis-informed and racist transplants

Get an EDUCATION before moving here and insulting our Heritage. That's a reasonable expectation.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:32 AM

112 posts, read 65,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post
WOW, yes I guess ignorance is a HUGE PROBLEM for most transplants and wannabeheres !!!!!!

HOW unbelievably stupid for any newcomer to insult our Heritage! Florida is awash with Spanish Heritage for godsake. And no wonder. Spain ruled Florida twice: from 1513 to 1763 and again from 1783 to 1821, when the Spanish gave Florida to the young United States.

Stupid, just plain stupid AND ignorant.

Hundreds of Spanish – or Spanish-sounding – names sprinkle the Florida map, from high-profile tourist destinations such as St. Augustine to designations of subdivisions such as Del Tura, a retirement community near Ft. Myers that translates literally to "of the structure."

Good god.

St. Augustine, of course, was named in 1565 by its founder, conquistador Pedro Menendez de Aviles, for San Agustin, the Catholic Bishop of Hippo.

Heard of these cities, towns, beaches etc etc ?

Desoto (county)
Town of Cortez (Manatee County)
Miami
Largo (meaning "large")
Altamonte Springs (means "high hill")
Escambia county (means "trade")
Columbia county (from Christopher Columbus)
Hernando county (from "hernando de soto)
Leon county (from Ponce de Leon)
Pinellas county (from "point of palms")
St Lucie county (from "Saint Lucia")

• Boca Raton – Often translated as "rat mouth," Boca Raton actually means "mouse mouth." The Spanish word for rat is "rata."
  • Cape Canaveral – Named by Spanish explorers, Canaveral means "a place of reeds or cane."
  • Naranja – The community near Miami means "orange."
  • Ponte Vedra – The community in St. Johns County was named for a city in Spain.
  • Punta Gorda – Spanish explorers may have named the big point of land extending into Charlotte Harbor. It means "fat point." But the city wasn't so named until 1887, well after Florida's Spanish eras.
  • Valparaiso – The name of this city in Okaloosa County was borrowed from the city in Indiana, which in turn was named for the famous Chilean port. It means "valley of paradise."
  • Islamorada – A village in the Florida Keys, its name means "purple island."
  • Escambia – Both a river and a county, the word means "a method of barter."
  • Pinellas – The county derives its name from the words Punta Pinal, meaning "point of pines."
  • Alafia – The river's name possibly derives from the Spanish word meaning a species of dogbane known as oleander or periwinkle.
  • Hernando, Leon, De Soto – These three counties were named for Spanish explorers.
  • Key West – The westernmost island extending from the peninsula. Key West was originally called Bone Island – or Cayo Hueso – by Spanish explorers because they found large quantities of human bones there.
  • Santa Fe – The river, college and community derive the name from a Franciscan mission named Santa Fe de Toloca once located near the river.
Finally, as an example of something named long after the colonial era, there is Lake Buena Vista, home to Walt Disney World Resort. The words mean "good view," and was taken from a street in Burbank.

(credit Visit Florida)

I hate to admit it but our home state doesn't need more utterly ignorant, mis-informed and racist transplants

Get an EDUCATION before moving here and insulting our Heritage. That's a reasonable expectation.
great post!

Old 07-28-2021, 07:35 AM

As a sidenote only and a bit off topic:

Speaking more than one language is a good thing! Lots of us natives to "America" (an Italian name) speak multiple languages, not "just English".

I speak 2 1/2 lol. Mom speaks 5. All natives dating back to the 1700s.

BTW, you can't go to Louisiana and never encounter French and Indian culture either. It's everywhere throughout the SouthEast of "America". French names are "plastered" everywhere lol....just like Spanish names in Florida...Indian names all OVER Alabama, MS as well.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 AM

Newcomers, transplants and visitors chap my butt when they come to our State, visit Miami-Dad, Tampa, ORL and others and they "hear" Spanish all over the place....duh....no kidding....the cultural history supports that reality for godsake.

Funny thing, most certainly DO speak English as well but sometimes it's not the first thing out of their mouths...so what?

Try going to Montreal - what do you think is the first thing that comes out of their mouths? GERMAN? lol...but most speak more than just French.

Many French-speaking HAITIANS in south Florida may speak Spanish AND ENGLISH as well. Again, so what? Doesn't *bother* me.

Try going to Tarpon Springs FL, I bet you dollars to donuts you get might hear a lot of Greek language.

"Diversity" ain't just about "race", and it certainly doesn't mean just "black/Negro/of COLOR"

Oh my.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay