Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 08:23 AM

5,033 posts, read 5,779,811 times

Advertisements

St. Petersburg Pier Grand Opening set for 10 AM on Saturday, May 30th.
https://ilovetheburg.com/video-st-pe...date-revealed/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 12:35 PM

https://www.flickr.com/groups/flickr...y-announcement

Anyone want to schedule this and spread the word? I know I know, if it's to be it's up to me. But I really don't have the time to recruit or spread the word, and I don't want to create the event for Tampa Bay and then be the only one there lol.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:46 AM

Tampa Park Apartments bought, will be redeveloped completely
https://www.tampabay.com/news/tampa/...-tenants-move/
Yeah, I thought this qualifies as "big news" if not also somewhat controversial

Open Streets
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...urant-seating/
This probably isn't huge news to anyone paying attention... but I wonder how much of these changes will be lasting-America seems to hate curbside dining in general but I wonder if COVID-19 will lead to a long term paradigm shift on that.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Unless we go into a recession soon, I think most of this gets developed. The Bay area is on fire right now, it almost feels like Atlanta did in the 90's.

Cranes still up and active though which is a good sign.

https://stpeterising.com/home/2019/1...wntown-st-pete
This though outdated is good news too.

I do worry though that too many highrises and a potential ambivalence toward certain properties could lead to St. Petersburg losing it's unique, block by block, historic/leafy streetscape which is IMO better preserved than any significant sized city in FL. The whole "Don't Lauderdale the Burg" campaign might be relevant in that regard.

Interesting to see how geography is in part a reason for St. Petersburg being quite vertical for it's size. Pinellas County is almost fully developed at this point-in fact, I think out of the Top 50 populous US counties or ones that exceed 1M in population.. the only ones that do so and are smaller than St. Pete are the 4 New York counties (New York, Bronx, Kings and Queens)-obviously by a vast margin, but still-one could make the case that the only more consistently urban places in the south than St. Petersburg in terms of over length and size would be Miami Dade County, Broward County and Orleans Parish.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:07 AM

Switching over to park development, as I feel like it's a component, and especially related to Ybor, the urban core, and it's livability/desirability. Why hasn't more TLC and attention been paid to McKay Bay Nature Park? It has nice bones with the boardwalk and observation tower... but yet seemingly the city really hasn't prioritized it all, at least given the reviews.

https://www.83degreesmedia.com/featu...ea-100819.aspx
This is the most recent article talking about it. It does actually describe it in a flattering manner saying:
"This park is a unique pick due to its size (38 acres). An outdoor getaway nestled within Tampa near Ybor City, this park stands out because of its simple power to make you feel as though there is no possible way you’re only steps away from Ybor’s unique and creative lifestyle. An avian paradise, boardwalks, and paved walking trails make it a favorite stop on the Great Florida Birding Trail."

Has anyone checked it out recently? Is it in decent shape and reasonably safe to visit during the daytime? I'd like to be able to do a walk there combined with a trip up to Ybor for coffee/cuban bread at La Segunda... but at the same time, based on the reviews, I'm not positive I should feel safe doing so-I did feel perfectly comfortable doing so at Al Lopez-but I'm not sure how different the atmosphere here is. If anyone can advise, or if there are any efforts at revitalizing this one, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:37 AM

124 posts, read 126,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

Cranes still up and active though which is a good sign.

https://stpeterising.com/home/2019/1...wntown-st-pete
This though outdated is good news too.

I do worry though that too many highrises and a potential ambivalence toward certain properties could lead to St. Petersburg losing it's unique, block by block, historic/leafy streetscape which is IMO better preserved than any significant sized city in FL. The whole "Don't Lauderdale the Burg" campaign might be relevant in that regard.

Interesting to see how geography is in part a reason for St. Petersburg being quite vertical for it's size. Pinellas County is almost fully developed at this point-in fact, I think out of the Top 50 populous US counties or ones that exceed 1M in population.. the only ones that do so and are smaller than St. Pete are the 4 New York counties (New York, Bronx, Kings and Queens)-obviously by a vast margin, but still-one could make the case that the only more consistently urban places in the south than St. Petersburg in terms of over length and size would be Miami Dade County, Broward County and Orleans Parish.
Development may come to a screeching halt on projects not underway but we will see. Regarding the density factor - too tall could be too much regarding the St. Pete downtown area. I have to map this building but if it is where I think, then they are already overdoing it.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:34 PM

It looks like there’s enough cranes in the ground right now though to where a number of interesting things will come up still then though.

It’s an interesting question-this one is going to be lining Central Ave., in the block between 4th and 5th Streets. It was formerly a park, with a fence around it so that it could not be for public use.

https://goo.gl/maps/1HmxtbK5rF3HqYtKA
I’m questioning that too more now. When I think about this view from Williams Park and how much it will change with that basically towering over the Snell Building... I’m
All for big city vibes but I wonder if this might be ill advised-sorta like putting a high rise in the middle of the French Quarter would.

If you’re familiar with St Pete.. it’s effectively only one full block away from First Block, too on Central. It will be the first true skyscraper on the Pinellas side, at 515’

Land IS limited in Pinellas though, so there are no easy answers.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:16 AM

Is it this site?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...6!4d-82.638762

Old 05-17-2020, 12:19 PM

Yep-that is where it will be. I guess.. at least on a certain level, it's better than a blank park that no one can use...

Old 05-18-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Yep-that is where it will be. I guess.. at least on a certain level, it's better than a blank park that no one can use...
Agreed. I have mixed feelings about its impact on the immediate vicinity. Economic impact will be good, aesthetic impact, meh. That row of stores (across the street) used to be an eclectic mix and probably struggling. Hopefully they will benefit without changing the nature of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay