Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:10 PM

29 posts, read 23,225 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, I've been searching on-line and 3 timesi in person over the past 1-1/2 year for the best location(s) to look for a Family All Age Mobile Home Park in Florida. It's very difficult to determine which parks are decent, not on the high crime index and somewhat decent to good schools in the area when you don't live there 365.

Anyone who might have some valuable insight or information to help me narrow down the search would be very appreciated. I am a single parent of 2 and moving from CT. Hope to make the move by October 2016.

My sister lives in Tampa (but is housebound) and isn't really familiar with sounding towns. I'm willing to locate North or South of Tampa/St. Pete 30 miles, 30 miles east and would even consider the east coast if that was a good choice.

Any help out there? I would so appreciate it! Thanks! Marie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 01:59 AM

131 posts, read 140,838 times
That's a tall order MH1955.

I would start looking in Seminole... minutes west of St Petersburg.
https://www.google.com/#q=trailer+park+seminole+florida
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there, and I would guess that you would be required to buy the Mobile Home.
Make some calls, see if there are any age, children or animal restriction. Call the Sheriffs office for criminal activity.
October is still in Hurricane season, and residents of trailer are the first to be required to evacuate. Leaving with children and trying to find a location during a storm threat is not easy, you could end up living in your car.
Pinellas County returns to school earlier than Ct, and finding a school late in the year will also be frustrating.
Good luck

Old 07-18-2016, 10:04 AM

Thank you LeenMe. I have looked in Seminole; that is much to close to the water for my comfort. I'm considering off the peninsula, more inland. I have looked all the way up to the Dunedin area and out as far as Auberndale. As I said I would consider the east coast as well, but would like to be at least within a 2 hour drive to my sister in St. Pete. I am prepared to transfer the kids and have spoken to the school about that already so it's not a problem. I was told by two districts in Florida that when we get there they will be sure to register them in a school.

I've done most of my homework on the type of park, being All Age/Family parks and the restrictions. I've been searching this for over a year. The problem is it is very difficult to determine what areas are decent and which ones are not. As it is in CT...you can be in Fairfield County and find some towns right next to each other that would be undesirable and some excellent. I plan on purchasing. Money isn't the issue. The location is.

There is noticeably more +55 MH parks than there are family parks, but then again I have seen some that are more prevelant in certain areas.

I guess what I'm looking for is some first hand guidance as to what areas would be the best bets to narrow my search with a wide berth to look in that's relatively low on the crime scale.

Thanks! Marie

Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 PM

232 posts, read 351,826 times
Honestly, Marie, most family parks are not very nice. My parents lived in a few mobile home parks in the Dunedin/Tarpon Springs/Clearwater area that were beautiful, but they were 55+. I don't know why family parks tend to be nasty. Is there a reason you prefer a mobile home to a condo or small house?

Like Leenme said, mobile homes are the first to evacuate whenever there are high wind events. It doesn't matter how close to the water you are. Tropical storms regularly cross the state and do major damage inland from wind and tornados. IMO you can get a nice cement block condo or house to rent in many areas where you'll be safer and the neighborhood will be nicer.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,258,598 times
Just curious, why a mobile home? As stated before, most family parks are pretty trashy around here. Many of the 55+ are actually quite nice though

A mobile home in a hurricane or even one of our stronger summer storms isn't really somewhere you would want to be. If money isn't an issue as you said previous, is a regular house out of the question?

Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Thank you sunigal and Tim ~ It's not that money is no object or issue, I do have a budget but not enough for a condo or small home ~ I am paying cash. What I have found is I could afford to pay cash for a mid-size mobile home.

I'm disappointed to hear that in general the family parks are not good. It looked like there were some nice parks when I was there looking in person in the Spring. I did see some +55 that were not desirable as well as upscale, so I took it that was the same rule of thumb with the all-age parks as well.

Could it be there are some that are better than others perhaps...In in other areas?

I realize your concern about weather related risks. I thought about that and while the risk is obvious not being anchored to the ground by a foundation, it seemed like if there were so many mobile homes being ripped off their lots in storms there wouldn't be so many of them, no?

I really do not want to rent, I want to purchase. I am the grand parent raising my 2 grand children. A very ugly divorce caused significant damage to my pristine credit and I have been able to save up some money and want to pay cash to start over. At my age (61) I do not want to get into a mortgage situation again but also am not a fan of being a renter in an apartment complex. It's a difficult situation and trying very hard to provide a nice secure life for my grand children who have been through the mill in their young life.

As you can understand at this age I have to be careful about every move I make. I appreciate your help very much. Thank you.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH1955 View Post
Thank you sunigal and Tim ~ It's not that money is no object or issue, I do have a budget but not enough for a condo or small home ~ I am paying cash. What I have found is I could afford to pay cash for a mid-size mobile home.

I'm disappointed to hear that in general the family parks are not good. It looked like there were some nice parks when I was there looking in person in the Spring. I did see some +55 that were not desirable as well as upscale, so I took it that was the same rule of thumb with the all-age parks as well.

Could it be there are some that are better than others perhaps...In in other areas?

I realize your concern about weather related risks. I thought about that and while the risk is obvious not being anchored to the ground by a foundation, it seemed like if there were so many mobile homes being ripped off their lots in storms there wouldn't be so many of them, no?

I really do not want to rent, I want to purchase. I am the grand parent raising my 2 grand children. A very ugly divorce caused significant damage to my pristine credit and I have been able to save up some money and want to pay cash to start over. At my age (61) I do not want to get into a mortgage situation again but also am not a fan of being a renter in an apartment complex. It's a difficult situation and trying very hard to provide a nice secure life for my grand children who have been through the mill in their young life.

As you can understand at this age I have to be careful about every move I make. I appreciate your help very much. Thank you.
Completely understood, hopefully your situation works out and thanks for taking care of those kids, my grandmother is in a similiar situation with other grandchildren in the family.

Im sure there are decent family ones ones, they just aren't nearly as common. I will look around at the areas I know have some parks and get back to you if I see some that are not 55+

Edit: Started looking but have some questions: Does it need to be a park or are you willing to do a MH that is on its own little piece of land? I know the budget is a personal question but generally, what range are you looking at? Do you want to have a little space around you or does that not really matter?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:30 AM

Lakeland has a large number of mobile homes, finding the decent schools is a bit challenging, almost impossible.

There are a few in clearwater but they are a little more on the high side, not sure your budget..

2555 Highland Acre Dr, Clearwater, FL 33761 | MLS #T2786352 | Zillow

744 Driftwood Ln # 48, Tarpon Springs, FL 34689 | MLS #U7784082 | Zillow

10399 67th Ave LOT 37, Seminole, FL 33772 | MLS #U7773252 | Zillow

Old 07-20-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Completely understood, hopefully your situation works out and thanks for taking care of those kids, my grandmother is in a similiar situation with other grandchildren in the family.

Im sure there are decent family ones ones, they just aren't nearly as common. I will look around at the areas I know have some parks and get back to you if I see some that are not 55+

Edit: Started looking but have some questions: Does it need to be a park or are you willing to do a MH that is on its own little piece of land? I know the budget is a personal question but generally, what range are you looking at? Do you want to have a little space around you or does that not really matter?

Tim - Thank you. My high end budget is at $40K. It doesn't have to absolutely be in a park. I have owned a home before in a semi-rural area here in CT for 27 years, so home ownership and property isn't unfamiliar to me. I appreciate your looking around. As I said, one of my main concerns is crime and such.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:07 AM

As to the school systems, of course public schools would be the first choice, but if the neighborhood and park was good but the schools weren't exactly that good, I wouldn't be opposed to a private or Christian school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay