Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 PM

19 posts, read 40,908 times

Advertisements

I live very far up north and was wondering what people think about moving to florida? I HATE the long winters (7-8 months of cold here!) Taxes are extremely high and apartments are overpriced. BUT I am worried about the crime rate, high population and too much traffic in Florida. I live in a nice town where I feel safe and I'm hoping to find that in Florida. Does anyone have any suggestions for smaller towns or cities? My son is half Cambodian so I wouldn't want it to be an all white area. I see pictures of a lot of gated communities and condos that look nice but are they really that nice there? I don't want to worry about not being safe.

Last edited by cat310; 04-19-2011 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 PM

100 posts, read 367,426 times
Overall, crime rate in Florida on average is definitely much higher than the northeastern states (in fact, I think the northeast and especially the New England area has perhaps the lowest crime rate in all of the US). However, crime rate in Tampa is not that bad and is mostly confined to a few areas, most of which you do not need to visit. However, if you're considering other cities in Florida (such as Miami and Orlando), the crime rates are much worse.

In Tampa, the newer subdivisions (Westchase, New Tampa, etc.) and in most areas of South Tampa, it is very safe and crime rates are very low. I am sure most other cities in Florida would have such exclusive "safe" neighborhoods.

I don't know which part of the northeast you're from, but the traffic in and around the big cities of the northeast can actually be worse than it is in Tampa. I don't know about other Florida cities.

Same thing for population density.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 AM

494 posts, read 1,677,379 times
People probably have darker tans than your son. Which half is the Cambodian ...top, bottom, front or back?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM

34 posts, read 88,336 times
Most people in Tampa you find are friendly and will not really give your son much trouble due to ethnicity. I am half Hispanic myself and am from South Tampa and have never in my 11 years in Florida ran into many racial issues on a personal level. What areas of Florida are you considering? As someone said, Tampa's crime rate is low, particularly in the Suburbs such as Brandon, West Chase, Carollwood, etc. And I know places in Palm Harbor and Safety Harbor are not bad as well. With more information I'd be glad to help!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 AM

31 posts, read 59,353 times
I have lived off and on in the Tampa area for about 8 yrs. now and believe me it has changed. The debate is whether the change has been for the better or worse, but irregardless there are desired places to live and less than desirable areas as well. I've lived in several cities since I moved down here from Suburban Detroit area. Believe me, there are some noticeable differences. For example, the Michigan school system and anywhere in the Northeast for that matter is far more superior than Florida. This is mainly due to large teacher's Union's up North and blah blah blah. However, if you're like my wife and I and you love the beach, climate and overall atmosphere then you'll understand why we chose Florida as our primary residency. Whenever you move to another city or state though, there are going to be pros and cons to making that decision. With that being said, since I moved to the Tampa area, I lived in Town and Country (not a fan), Citrus Park (congested, but nice), Largo (congested and not so nice) and currently Apollo Beach (Very desirable). Overall, cities in Tampa Bay area that I'd recommend that are family friendly are: Apollo Beach (very good), Riverview (good), Valrico (decent), Safety Harbor (superior), Palm Harbor (great) and South Tampa - Bayshore & Hyde Park (Best). Of cities to avoid I'd recommend to stay out of South St. Pete area as well and I am not a big fan of Pinellas Park nor Largo for that matter.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 PM

37 posts, read 102,045 times
Lots of gates and fences and not much sense of community here.
Pay is WAAAY low, benefits are scant, companies are small, opportunites for non-professionals are not abundant.
Traffic in the cities, county/metropolitan area is awful. Commuting 15 miles can take an hour.
We have months and months of high temperatures with high humidity that can translate to months and months of being inside most of the time, in the a/c.

Nice place to visit, and visit often.
But it doesn't resemble the north at all. (I came from NE Ohio)

Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 PM

19 posts, read 40,908 times
Thank you everyone! I'm coming down in July to check out a few areas so your information is very helpful. Although the low pay and not many jobs does worry me! I don't have a degree yet I'm still in college and my boyfriend hasn't even started college yet... I'm hoping we will get lucky and find jobs though! I have 3 years of experience as a medical secretary/receptionist and he has 4 years of warehouse work and restaraunt work. Any jobs like those??

Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 PM

100 posts, read 367,426 times
IMO, that is a very risky approach especially in this economy. The unemployment rate in FL is also higher than it is in the northeast.

Unless you have distinctive skills or qualifications (e.g., a doctor or doctor's assistant or paramedic, an accountant, a Ph.D. or a Masters degree in the Business or Medical Sciences fields, a degree in law from a top school, etc.) it is a risky idea to move to FL in this economy hoping to get lucky and find jobs.

Don't get me wrong - you might still find jobs as medical secretary/receptionist or your boyfriend might find jobs at a warehouse or restaurant - however, there are literally thousands of local people already lined up for those potential jobs - so the odds are not in your favor. Perhaps you might want to see if you get a job offer first before you make the big move.

Again, in this economy, it might be tough getting a job in a new place, unless one has some unique skills/qualifications/talents.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat310 View Post
Thank you everyone! I'm coming down in July to check out a few areas so your information is very helpful. Although the low pay and not many jobs does worry me! I don't have a degree yet I'm still in college and my boyfriend hasn't even started college yet... I'm hoping we will get lucky and find jobs though! I have 3 years of experience as a medical secretary/receptionist and he has 4 years of warehouse work and restaraunt work. Any jobs like those??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay