Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 50,591 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I haven't really posted much on here at all, but have really enjoyed the other threads that I have learned a lot from. I was able to gain quite a bit of good information from them.

As my title states, I am moving from one side of MO to the other side. As I have been told, the east side is suppose to be better. Hope that is true. I got accepted to do a fellowship at Washington University School of Medicine/Barnes-Jewish Hospital and I am very excited to be moving there this summer. So I need some help to find some nice places to live. I will be spending all of my time at the medical campus. From old threads it appears if you are at the Danforth Campus it is probably best to live in the Clayton or University City area if you want to be somewhat close. I am looking to live either close to the Metro line, or within walking distance (15-20min max). I could drive in, but I have been told it is difficult to find parking on the campus, and you might have to park on one side of the campus and take a shuttle. Also with all the road construction going on (I-64, when will that be done?) I would like to cut down on my driving time into work.

So a few of the places that I have come across that might work are:

- Central West End area: I went there for lunch and dinner when I interviewed at WashU. Seems like a really nice place with a bunch of restaurants and cool coffee shops. Also suppose to have some nice apartments, not sure what the cost of them is.

- SLU area: heard there are some nice apartments and lofts around the SLU campus. That would probably be a good 20-30 minutes walking, might be a bit much in the summer heat or in the winter. But I'm sure I can manage the winter, not sure about the summer humidity and walking into work drenched in sweat.

- Down town area: I think there are quite a few places downtown that look nice. Like around Busch Stadium up to Washington Ave. I would at least be within walking distance to a Metro line.

I guess I am looking for a place that is in a nice area, close to some restaurants, reasonable rent (under $700-800 for 1bd or 2bd), and not to far from the medical campus. I hope that is enough information and I would appreciate any advice or thoughts. Thanks guys in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 PM

418 posts, read 1,281,116 times
dude... its KC to STL... hop in your car and drive down around and see... its not like its KC to Miami.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
dude... its KC to STL... hop in your car and drive down around and see... its not like its KC to Miami.
Unfortunately I will be in school/clinic all the way up until I move to STL and don't have any time I can take off to visit. So any help would be great in narrowing down some areas to look from people that are familiar with the area.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 PM

321 posts, read 1,004,120 times
If your price range is up to $800/mo, you should have plenty of options just within the CWE area or close to one of the nearby Metro stations. Downtown or near SLU (close to a Metrolink station) would work, but I don't see why you wouldn't want to be closer. The university does have a campus shuttle bus system that drives through much of the CWE area picking up and dropping off people. I haven't parked over at the medical campus in years, but some of the university lots are definitely farther away and the closer in ones used to fill up pretty fast, so it doesn't make much sense to drive to campus when you live in the CWE. You should definitely try to line up something early since the lower priced rentals in the CWE can fill up pretty quickly.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 AM

As far as safety, how is the area around SLU? What about the downtown area around Busch Stadium and Edward Jones Dome (Tucker Blvd, Washington Ave, Broadway, I-64)? Is it safe enough to go out at night and go jogging during the day?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 AM

418 posts, read 1,281,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Unfortunately I will be in school/clinic all the way up until I move to STL and don't have any time I can take off to visit. So any help would be great in narrowing down some areas to look from people that are familiar with the area.
ah sucky... well, good luck sure there will be a lot of people here able to provide you with information.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,056,551 times
You could do SLU area or downtown-- not sure what your social scene is like though-- that tends to be pretty young I think and not heavily grad student-oriented. Definitely not ideal for a jogger. You will probably run into more people like yourself doing fellowships and residencies and what not if you go to the CWE. My wife works at Wash U Medical (in Childrens) and it seems like most of the grad students and post-docs live either in the CWE or U City. The 30+ and the married set gravitate toward U City. The 20-somethings and the singles gravitate toward CWE. The tenured faculty and the practicing physicians I know are mostly around Clayton and U City. I recommend CWE if you are under 30 and single-- you can jog in Forest Park and walk to work. If you want a more subdued but still fun scene, check out some of the apartment buildings in U City (look for stuff along Pershing between Midvale and Hanley, or else along University or Kingsbury in the Ames Place subdivision) and Clayton (the Moorlands are a popular choice, and there are a bunch of rentals on Forsyth just west of Big Bend)-- either will keep you close to Forest Park, rapid transit, and plenty of fun stuff to do.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
If you're a jogger, I would live near Forest Park if you can -- Downtown will be safe for a jogger, but less scenic surely.

Lots of young professionals downtown, but I think $700-800 will put you on the low end for a 1 bedroom -- 2 BRs really go for more.

Oh and the SLU area is called Midtown if that helps with your research.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Is there any concern about taking the Metro link late at night or early in the morning between downtown and CWE?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:39 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,801 times
I jog frequently downtown and there isnt any worries about doing so at all hours of the day and night. There also isnt any issues with taking the metro from downtown since most stops have security. Downtown is a very safe area which I have lived in for almost 2 years. There wont be any issues taking metro, jogging, or coming back from the bars at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis