Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,321,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
You see the area called "North City"? That's synonymous with ghetto. I've been in your situation and had the same housing requirements... From what I've experienced in St Louis, I would highly recommend subleasing from someone around Washington University.
And if you are really familiar with St. Louis, you would know that there are bad areas in EVERYONE of the neighborhoods that you have on your map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 02:05 AM

210 posts, read 412,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And if you are really familiar with St. Louis, you would know that there are bad areas in EVERYONE of the neighborhoods that you have on your map.
Eh? What's your point?

Did I say that there weren't any bad areas in the other neighborhoods? Or... "EVERY <space> ONE" of the neighborhoods on that map. Did you know that specific inclusion of X does not imply the exclusion of Y... it just means the specific inclusion of X. If I said, "there are pigs on farm X" and you respond, "but you know there are also goats, chickens, cows on that farm too!" That could be completely true, but irrelevant.

Also, if you RTFT, you would know I was referring to the area most proximal to where the OP was considering renting. Secondly, you would also know that I stated I am new to St Louis and may decide to judge my subjectivity on those terms.

Or, I guess, you can just comment on random crap. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 PM

16 posts, read 33,324 times
So I need to be more careful than just renting away from North City?

Old 12-21-2011, 03:31 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times
In short, yes. There are small nice pockets on the North city area of St. Louis, but even those nice areas are surrounded by places I wouldn't want to wonder at night...or in the day for half of them. You'd be very limited on public transportation, and even more limited on your ability to walk...while you'd be close to some city attractions, the "vibrant, walkable" neighborhood that most desire would be LOST and you'd be car/bus dependent. Stay South.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldisaster View Post
So I need to be more careful than just renting away from North City?
Sure. There are good neighborhoods and bad ones all over the city just as in any city. I would live in Old North St. Louis, one north city neighborhood, long before I'd live in Gravois Park, a south city neighborhood (thats not to say, however, that flynavy isn't generally right). Every neighborhood has it's own distinct vibe, so it's important to know where you're looking. That's what this forum can help with though!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times
Also note, I'm not trying to rag on Old North St. Louis either, it's a decent up and coming neighborhood. The surrounding area however leaves much to be desired. I do know there's at least one local pub, a couple restaurants (one is renowned), and some new storefronts on the revitalized strip, but for the most part, much of ONSL still has a ways to go...hopefully it's revamp can expand to the surrounding areas, and eventually push a swath all the way to the Northside of Downtown.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 10,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldisaster View Post
I'm moving to St. Louis next summer for a 3 three month internship in Hazelwood. Looking at the map I have no idea where I want to live, hopefully locals can help!
I'm 23 years old and my main priority is safety. I don't mind a commute up to 30 minutes. I do like to go out, especially because I don't know anyone there, so I would like an area that it would be ok to be out alone but still with some young people and nightlife. Apartment size isn't a concern for me since I won't be there long.
I know all cities have their bad areas and St. Louis gets a bad rap, but some insight on where I can live as a 23 year old single female would be helpful! Thank you
You might think of Creve Coeur - that is not too far from Hazelwood but Clayton, U.City or Central West End are some great areas -

Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 PM

Great I have looked at some places, but I think i'll look more when as summer approaches. Thanks guys, you are all so helpful!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
Definitely feel free to come back and ask more specific questions as you have them!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:21 AM

Clemens Ave and Syracuse at Delmar
Google maps couldn't find this exact location, but I thought you guys might know where this is. I know it is close to Delmar which I was told earlier may not be the safest area. Is an apartment here safe, and is it in a fun area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis