Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,043 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have read most of the threads in regards of these cities. My main question would be around education/jobs/weather. Are there any good private school/alternative education options for LDS families? I'd like to stay away as much as I can from public schools since-as I understand, Utah has adopted common core curriculum? What are the main industries that are currently hiring?. Also, it seems that most of the earthquakes occur between 200-300 miles approx. away from these cities, but how about flooding? tornadoes? etc.? Mostly concerned about flooding as I have heard that there are some areas more prone to it? Where could I get more information about it?. We have a small family and would like to settle in a small community. Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 03:58 PM

14 posts, read 39,454 times
I don't have much to add as far as education or jobs are concerned, but can provide some information on flooding...

The greater St George area has experienced dangerous flood events, including in recent years. Many have caused significant property damage, and some have been deadly.

Flash flooding is the principle concern here, and is a real hazard in slot canyons (extremely narrow rock crevices where people enjoy hiking, canyoneering, etc.), near the Virgin River, and other small streams and dry washes. During a rain storm, moderate to heavy rain (even miles away as it falls on high mountains) quickly overwhelms the land's ability to absorb water due to the generally rocky topography and relatively sparse, desert vegetation. The rapidly accumulating surface water flows downhill and into successively larger washes/drainages, growing into a raging torrent at times and in certain places. The risk is particularly high during the spring, when streams and rivers are already full of spring runoff (snow melting and draining from the mountains).

Roads in the area are marked to warn you of potential flash flood danger, but if you enjoy the outdoors and travelling to more remote locations, you will want to learn how to stay safe. Here are some websites with additional information:

Flash Flood: Avoiding Flash Floods, Flash Flooding, and Other Hazards
https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...ringsafety.htm

The upside is that unlike areas prone to earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc., the places at risk of flash flooding in this part of the country are very specific and limited in area. As you become educated on flash flooding in the desert, get to know the area, and exercise reasonable caution, you can effectively avoid flash flood danger.

Concerning property, most of the homes that have been damaged by flooding in recent years were constructed near the Virgin River, within or near its floodplain. In contrast to many other parts of the country where entire cities and counties flood, only a small area is at risk of flooding in the St George/Cedar City area.

Last edited by awilk7; 06-21-2016 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 12:15 PM

218 posts, read 243,064 times
for private schools check this site: Providence Innovation Academy I have to admit that I don't know anything about this school nor have I heard anything about it, but at least you can check it out.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:39 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,500,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_60 View Post
Hello!

I have read most of the threads in regards of these cities. My main question would be around education/jobs/weather. Are there any good private school/alternative education options for LDS families? I'd like to stay away as much as I can from public schools since-as I understand, Utah has adopted common core curriculum? What are the main industries that are currently hiring?. Also, it seems that most of the earthquakes occur between 200-300 miles approx. away from these cities, but how about flooding? tornadoes? etc.? Mostly concerned about flooding as I have heard that there are some areas more prone to it? Where could I get more information about it?. We have a small family and would like to settle in a small community. Thank you for your time!
I live in Cedar City and I can tell you about the weather. Cedar city is 5,800 altitude, St George approx. 2,200. There is a BIG difference in the temperatures between the two cities although they are only 43 miles apart. Winter time in Cedar, can have lots of snow. St. George rarely snows and nice temperatures all year round....except in summer VERY HOT. My husband plays softball in a league in St George and it can get to 120. Cedar City rarely is over 100 in the summer. Cedar City is a lot smaller, not as much shopping, but I prefer smaller cities.

Both cities are beautiful.

As far as tornadoes...no. Earthquakes no. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I came from a state with tornadoes...Oklahoma and before that California....where I have been in several small earthquakes. I don't think you have to worry about those here in Utah, although it could happen. There was a tornado in Salt Lake City a few years ago when I was working and living there.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:15 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,490,166 times
There are some earthquake faults in the Cedar City area, and one in the Hurricane region. St. G area had a 5 point something earthquake back in the 90's

Old 06-24-2016, 12:34 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,861,888 times
How is the commute between these two cities is terms of traffic? Chickrae mentioned a distance of 43 between the two cities. If traffic is not bad I would think a commute of 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Please correct me and/or chime in.

-Cheers.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
How is the commute between these two cities is terms of traffic? Chickrae mentioned a distance of 43 between the two cities. If traffic is not bad I would think a commute of 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Please correct me and/or chime in.

-Cheers.
35-40 minutes, possibly 30 on an excellent day

Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 AM

317 posts, read 654,343 times
There is ice and snow during the winter around Cedar, the i-15 around Black Ridge in particular is notorious for accidents and slide offs. Most of the time, the commute would be fine, but on the mornings when it wasn't, it could be extremely dangerous.

Major employers in Cedar City include the University (SUU), BLM, Division of Forestry, health care and a few private companies. I would not suggest moving here without having a job first.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,043 times
Thank you everybody for your replies! What a difference in temperatures in both cities! Unfortunately, I have experienced all of the weather events above mentioned. Two of them where I currently live (tornado alley). Way out of my comfort zone! It is good to hear that flooding seems to happen in isolated areas. Thank you for the information about the school as well the advice in regards to having a job. I'm currently looking at all the options available in the medical field and education, so far it does not look that promising, though. Weather wise, it looks that St. George may be a better fit; however, I recently became aware about the fallout contamination back in the 50's from the Nevada Nuclear Test Site. Where can I get more information about it? I'm assuming it is still affecting certain areas? There is a history of cancer in the family.

Thank you again!

Old 06-30-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_60 View Post
I'm currently looking at all the options available in the medical field
I work in the medical field locally in STG. What information could I lend to help you?

Also, about the nuclear fallout, that is long gone. No current issues that you'd need to worry about. It is resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George