Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 6,026 times

Advertisements

My husband and I found some property in Barry County we were interested in buying but after doing some research on the area found it has a lot of registered sex offenders. Can anyone give me some information on this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:24 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,835 times
We lived in Barry county when we first moved to MO in 2003. I don't know why but there are a lot of really weird people. My husband had his paycheck stolen from our mailbox and it was cashed by a bank in Casseville. The people in that area give me the creeps. Maybe it is just me though.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 6,026 times
Thank you for your reply. I just feel with that many something seems to be a little off kilter. Not that they don't deserve to live somewhere but that so many would be drawn to one small area.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
We lived in Barry county when we first moved to MO in 2003. I don't know why but there are a lot of really weird people. My husband had his paycheck stolen from our mailbox and it was cashed by a bank in Casseville. The people in that area give me the creeps. Maybe it is just me though.
Maybe they're inbred.

But seriously, maybe they come off that way because they're native to the area and have been isolated for multiple generations.

I have no idea why there would be so many sex offenders, but maybe there's a correlation with what I said above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopapica View Post
Thank you for your reply. I just feel with that many something seems to be a little off kilter. Not that they don't deserve to live somewhere but that so many would be drawn to one small area.
Maybe they're natives, not necessarily people who were drawn to the area. You know, like descendants of people who were drawn to the area a long time ago for whatever reason. We're living in an era today that some people may forget not everybody chooses where they're born and grow up and ultimately where they live.

-

By the way, I've also thought about moving to that area. I like the isolation and low cost of real estate, combined with close proximity to the Rogers, Bentonville, Eureka Springs, and entire northwest Arkansas area, as well as reasonable proximity to Branson, Springfield, and Joplin. I love the mountains, rivers, and lakes. My preference would be southern or southwestern Barry County. You should also look into McDonald County or Stone County, depending whether you want to be closer to Rogers, Bentonville, etc. or Branson and Springfield. Maybe there are less sex offenders and weird people in those counties.

Last edited by MOKAN; 05-14-2014 at 01:44 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
I grew up in Barry County and I must say I never noticed any particular abundance of sex offenders. In fact, knowing the people in the area I would speculate that sex offenders might have a relatively low survival rate.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:52 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
This website gives you the reason why the person is on the sex offender registry:
National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog

IMO a lot of people on the sex offender list really don't need to be on it. Young adults (18 - 25) who dated teens and got in trouble for it... I don't necessarily condone these relationships, but to me that's not the sort of thing that needs to be monitored. I would check out this website and see if the offenders in this area fall in that category, or if they are actual predators, violent, etc.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
This website gives you the reason why the person is on the sex offender registry:
National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog

IMO a lot of people on the sex offender list really don't need to be on it. Young adults (18 - 25) who dated teens and got in trouble for it... I don't necessarily condone these relationships, but to me that's not the sort of thing that needs to be monitored. I would check out this website and see if the offenders in this area fall in that category, or if they are actual predators, violent, etc.
I hadn't looked at that site in awhile. egods there are so many crap ads and popups it takes forever to load the map! Disappointing for a site whose aim was to do so much good.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Most likely much like other areas. I met a sheriff from western Ks and he was quitting because of all the molestation he had seen at work. He had kids and it bothered him daily and he had had enough.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:04 PM

22 posts, read 34,296 times
Or maybe ... it's a big focus for the courts in that area. Judges and DA's really do get to pick how to handle things. Maybe there is a judge or DA in that are who treats something like .. statutory rape .. more harshly than it's treated in other areas.

Before you freak out on all the registered sex offenders, check out what they actually did. There is a world of difference between a child molester and a just turned 18 year old kid who got it on with a 15 year old, will be 16 in a week, that has highly conservative parents that decided they didn't like that.

So don't assume. Find the facts.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:54 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosvi View Post
Or maybe ... it's a big focus for the courts in that area. Judges and DA's really do get to pick how to handle things. Maybe there is a judge or DA in that are who treats something like .. statutory rape .. more harshly than it's treated in other areas.

Before you freak out on all the registered sex offenders, check out what they actually did. There is a world of difference between a child molester and a just turned 18 year old kid who got it on with a 15 year old, will be 16 in a week, that has highly conservative parents that decided they didn't like that.

So don't assume. Find the facts.
Speaking of facts, are you sure you gave an example of an actual crime above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area