Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 08:23 PM

17,667 posts, read 17,843,539 times

Advertisements

The games is suppose to be about the athlete. So shouldn't the swimmers be wearing swimsuits of the same fabric, bicycle racers riding bikes of the same technology, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 09:04 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,411,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The games is suppose to be about the athlete. So shouldn't the swimmers be wearing swimsuits of the same fabric, bicycle racers riding bikes of the same technology, etc?

I think swimmers should were swimsuits of the same fabric though it should not matter what color their suits are but I don't know what you mean that bicyclers riding bikes of the same technology.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,940,315 times
do the items in question adhere to the rules set down by the rules committee? if so then what is the problem?

Old 08-06-2016, 11:21 PM

12,434 posts, read 8,225,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I think swimmers should were swimsuits of the same fabric though it should not matter what color their suits are but I don't know what you mean that bicyclers riding bikes of the same technology.
Think of the International Race of Champions (IROC) in auto racing. Drivers from different specialties drew at random as identically manufactured and maintained race cars as possible to be a test of the driver and not the overall racing team. In bike racing the federation or whatever rules cycling would set up the bikes and by random draw the racer gets bike X and perhaps bike Y in another heat. However the problem with bikes is they demand a different set up for racers of different sizes.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,940,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Think of the International Race of Champions (IROC) in auto racing. Drivers from different specialties drew at random as identically manufactured and maintained race cars as possible to be a test of the driver and not the overall racing team. In bike racing the federation or whatever rules cycling would set up the bikes and by random draw the racer gets bike X and perhaps bike Y in another heat. However the problem with bikes is they demand a different set up for racers of different sizes.
IROC was an interesting excercise, the problem though was that the nascar drivers always had the advantage, since the cars were essentially nascar stock cars. of the IROC series promoters had used a variety of cars, for instance at one track use the nascar style cars, at another use the indycar style cars, then you would have had an interesting series. but i digress. once again my question is,

if the items in question conform to the rules laid down by the rules committee, then what is the issue here? for instance, take the bicycles. do they all weight the same? is he gearing the same? are the tires and wheels the same? do the frames all conform to the rules? if so there is no issue, even though the frames might be different designs.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:24 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,864,111 times
If swimmers should be wearing suits of the same fabric then all mens basketball players need to be the same height. all soccer players need to have the same agility skills.

with that being said i get what you're saying. as a swim coach myself if everyone wore a several hundred dollar LZR suit would it make the competition more "natural". in reality it would not. you put the last seed in an event in the same suit as the #1 seed you're not going to see any real competitive difference. suits only really take off a second in most cases.

if you really wanted to even the competition you would want to look at variables such as a coaching, practice / training plan, resources and facilities, nutrition and health plans, etc..

you could mandate athletes in this case swimmers utilize the same suit, but again the outcomes would not be that different. and again to be honest the swimmers who are competing in the finals of their event are all pretty much wearing the same technology anyways, so it's really a mute point.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:06 AM

12,434 posts, read 8,225,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
If swimmers should be wearing suits of the same fabric then all mens basketball players need to be the same height. all soccer players need to have the same agility skills.

with that being said i get what you're saying. as a swim coach myself if everyone wore a several hundred dollar LZR suit would it make the competition more "natural". in reality it would not. you put the last seed in an event in the same suit as the #1 seed you're not going to see any real competitive difference. suits only really take off a second in most cases.

if you really wanted to even the competition you would want to look at variables such as a coaching, practice / training plan, resources and facilities, nutrition and health plans, etc..

you could mandate athletes in this case swimmers utilize the same suit, but again the outcomes would not be that different. and again to be honest the swimmers who are competing in the finals of their event are all pretty much wearing the same technology anyways, so it's really a mute point.
The proper analogy would be basketball players wearing the same shoes. But then it would be the Olympic Committee or the international basketball authority getting the money from Nike and not the player, or his coach/school

Old 08-07-2016, 06:44 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,165,104 times
I'm more of a traditionalist and believe all competitors should perform naked

Old 08-07-2016, 07:06 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,985,511 times
Perhaps not naked, but, in togas would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports