Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:16 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,590,978 times

Advertisements

......meaning ATP 1000 event or more?

Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:38 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,017,108 times
Possibly a Masters -but even that is no sure thing, not sure if he can ever get back to Slam winning form again though.
He has lost a step in speed, and his game relies on this and his fitness, so he has to come up with other plans to shorten points and win matches more quickly.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,574,344 times
I am a big fan of Nadal but his game has been so hard on his body. I am not sure he has another Major win, but maybe a couple of Masters1000 events if he can get healthy. He is even losing on clay consistently which was his forte. I honestly wish he would retire if he is not healthy anymore.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I am a big fan of Nadal but his game has been so hard on his body. I am not sure he has another Major win, but maybe a couple of Masters1000 events if he can get healthy. He is even losing on clay consistently which was his forte. I honestly wish he would retire if he is not healthy anymore.
You think he can win a couple Masters 1000? A couple when Djokovic, Murray, Nishikori, Federer, Tsonga, etc. are all probably going to be there?

Old 02-25-2016, 02:03 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,574,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
You think he can win a couple Masters 1000? A couple when Djokovic, Murray, Nishikori, Federer, Tsonga, etc. are all probably going to be there?
It's possible, if some of them get knocked out or he regains some of his form. His big obstacle of course is Djokovic.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
It's possible, if some of them get knocked out or he regains some of his form. His big obstacle of course is Djokovic.
Forget Djokovic, nowadays, he can't even beat some no-name players on clay.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,979,930 times
I have never been a clay guy. Outside of clay, I don't think anyone can beat Djokovic. Then you have Federer who is still 99% as good as Djokovic. Federer was the only guy that could beat Djokovic, on a hard court, last year.

I am a Federer guy but freely admit Djokovic's game comes close to perfection. I can't see him being beat regularly unless the competitor was a couple inches taller and leveraged a couple more mph on the ball.

Height is becoming more and more of an advantage in many sports it seems. Who would have predicted Usain Bolt at 6'5" or Phelps at 6'5" or Cam Newton at 6'6"? It took Michael Jordan to dispense of the notion that tall = awkward and slow....in the public mind. They didn't watch Wilt Chamberlain, the fastest sprinter in his school.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I have never been a clay guy. Outside of clay, I don't think anyone can beat Djokovic. Then you have Federer who is still 99% as good as Djokovic. Federer was the only guy that could beat Djokovic, on a hard court, last year.
99%? LOL

Sure, few years ago, or in your dreams.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:29 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,979,930 times
Federer beat Djokovic, in the big matches, more than all other players combined in 2015.

Federer still owns the record books. Djokovic is is position to essentially tie them if he continues at this pace. Rather large assumption if considering Federer's amazing health and longevity.

Last match was an embarrassment. Things happen to everybody. Roger's downhill slide was postponed by ~five years over previous super stars.

LOL? Deliberate rudeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
99%? LOL

Sure, few years ago, or in your dreams.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:28 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,017,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

I am a Federer guy but freely admit Djokovic's game comes close to perfection. I can't see him being beat regularly unless the competitor was a couple inches taller and leveraged a couple more mph on the ball.

[b]Height is becoming more and more of an advantage in many sports it seems. Who would have predicted Usain Bolt at 6'5" or Phelps at 6'5" or Cam Newton at 6'6"[/B]? It took Michael Jordan to dispense of the notion that tall = awkward and slow....in the public mind. They didn't watch Wilt Chamberlain, the fastest sprinter in his school.

Height is interesting, esp in tennis.
There have been a couple of Grand Slam winners that have been 6'6 - Juan Martin Del Potro and Marin Cilic, and 1996 Wimbledon winner was Richard Krajicek - a massive serving 6'5.
But there has never been a tennis Number 1 at 6'5 or over (although Marat Safin was listed at 6'4, may have been closer), due to lack of mobility and body more prone to injuries.
The perfect height in tennis is around 6' to 6'3. (Nadal, Federer and Djoker are perfect for this sport).
The leverage on serve - as seen by supertalls Isner and Karlovic, is often negated by a lack of flexibility and durability.
My prediction is that Milos Raonic will break this mould, at 6'5 he has a huge serve and forehand, once he can fine tune his game I think he will start a new trend - just as trends have changed in other sports as you say!
Djoker himself relies on super flexibility - and return of serve -esp against big servers like above. Nadal was similar in his prime, running down every ball.
Once he loses a yard in speed and retrieving ability, then things may change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports