Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:25 AM

3,680 posts, read 3,011,229 times

Advertisements

All good points. One may consider that only 1% of the male population is over 6'4"....I think. Though change is happening as this is typed.

If a super athlete is 6'5" or more, coaches will encourage him to play basketball or volleyball. Perhaps be a swimmer or a football player. Sports where height is known to be an advantage. It is amazing how tall many football players are these days. 6'6" linemen?

Agassi did fine and, for some reason, seemed short. Though I think his height is rated at 6'?

I think we will get a freak who did not lose mobility or speed at 6'6". He will simply overpower his opponents.

I am very tall. When my serve was really dialed in, neither player could see if the ball landed in or out. We would check the scorch marks for validity. My quadricep was a little bit torn from football season and my mobility was awful. I had to crank up the serve.

A lot of the dominant ladies are very tall. Still say Stefi Graf was the best. 5'10"(?) when that was extremely tall. Had an awesome figure too. I think the IRS chased her out of the sport but thats another subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Height is interesting, esp in tennis.
There have been a couple of Grand Slam winners that have been 6'6 - Juan Martin Del Potro and Marin Cilic, and 1996 Wimbledon winner was Richard Krajicek - a massive serving 6'5.
But there has never been a tennis Number 1 at 6'5 or over (although Marat Safin was listed at 6'4, may have been closer), due to lack of mobility and body more prone to injuries.
The perfect height in tennis is around 6' to 6'3. (Nadal, Federer and Djoker are perfect for this sport).
The leverage on serve - as seen by supertalls Isner and Karlovic, is often negated by a lack of flexibility and durability.
My prediction is that Milos Raonic will break this mould, at 6'5 he has a huge serve and forehand, once he can fine tune his game I think he will start a new trend - just as trends have changed in other sports as you say!
Djoker himself relies on super flexibility - and return of serve -esp against big servers like above. Nadal was similar in his prime, running down every ball.
Once he loses a yard in speed and retrieving ability, then things may change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 10:31 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,599,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Forget Djokovic, nowadays, he can't even beat some no-name players on clay.
Nadal proved me right. He claimed another Masters title.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:34 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,621,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Nadal proved me right. He claimed another Masters title.
You can tell that this title means a lot to him.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:47 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,621,244 times
Nadal wins another title beating the title holder of the last two years, Nishikori. This is a huge accomplishment, considering Nishikori is one of the top players now, and one of the very few players capable of beating Djokovic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports