Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:05 PM

32,315 posts, read 35,170,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
That win for Murray means he's back to No.2 in the world rankings.
I still feel like Roger Federer is the second best player in the world. My money is on Fed to beat Murray more times in majors than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 01:39 AM

3,845 posts, read 3,075,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I still feel like Roger Federer is the second best player in the world. My money is on Fed to beat Murray more times in majors than not.
If Federer defends Cincy, he will go back to Number 2 in time for the USO seedings.
He will have to beat Murray in the Semis now, and has a good record recently.
Djoker plays surprise package Alexandr Dolgopolov in the other Semi, and has never won this particular Masters event. ""The Dog"" is a very unpredictable opponent for a Semi, I might add.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:05 PM

490 posts, read 686,775 times
So it's a Djokovic/Federer final in Cincy.

Djokovic seems to have struggled a bit this week. Still keeps winning though. Federer has been playing some great tennis. His performance vs Murray was as good as it gets at times.

Federer already has 7 titles in Cincy. I reckon it'll be 8 tomorrow if his form continues.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:14 PM

Womens final is now Serena Williams vs Simon Halep (who returns to Number 2):

News | WTA Tennis English

Can't see anything but a Serena victory here , and in NY for the CYGS.
Also can't say it is a good thing, in any sport, for one person to dominate and brutalize the rest of the tour like this, with virtually no challengers or competition.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Djokovic seems to have struggled a bit this week. Still keeps winning though. Federer has been playing some great tennis. His performance vs Murray was as good as it gets at times.

Federer already has 7 titles in Cincy. I reckon it'll be 8 tomorrow if his form continues.
Should be close, but hoping Novak can get his Career Golden Masters - nobody has won all 9 before.
Novak has an edge over Fed in recent times, but this court is very fast and over 3 Sets slightly favours Fed.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:16 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,293,057 times
Quote:

Federer actually has "only" 6 Cincinnati Masters titles, so he's going for number 7 on Sunday.

Interestingly, Federer has never lost a final in Cincinnati (6-0) and Djokovic has never won a final in Cincinnati (0-4). Two of Federer's championship match wins came against Djokovic. (The other two finals Djokovic lost were against Andy Murray, while Federer has also beaten Andy Roddick, James Blake, Mardy Fish, and David Ferrer for titles in Cincinnati.)

I should note Federer played great against Murray in the 2015 semifinals at Wimbledon while Djokovic was not overly impressive in his semifinal win at the same event (against Richard Gasquet), but in the final it ultimately proved to not matter as Djokovic came away with the title.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Womens final is now Serena Williams vs Simon Halep (who returns to Number 2):

News | WTA Tennis English

Can't see anything but a Serena victory here , and in NY for the CYGS.
Also can't say it is a good thing, in any sport, for one person to dominate and brutalize the rest of the tour like this, with virtually no challengers or competition.
I agree, that kind of one sided 'competition' doesn't make life too interesting.

I listened to a lengthy discussion on the radio this morning regarding doping in sport, which mainly focused on Justin Gatlin, but alluded to athletes generally who keep breaking records well into their mid 30's. The medical/pharma experts they had on the show talked a lot about the very long term advantages a person can get, even years after they've come off the juice, and these benefits are significantly greater for women than men.

I've always suspected Serena has had a little help from the chemists over the years. Tested very rarely at times, too. Makes me wonder if this may be why she's still so dominant, years after most players have gone downhill. But maybe I'm just cynical...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Federer actually has "only" 6 Cincinnati Masters titles, so he's going for number 7 on Sunday.
Sorry Chip, I miscounted. Don't like getting my facts wrong. I take your point about Wimbledon too, but I still think Fed will do it tonight. We'll see!

Old 08-23-2015, 03:06 PM

Great win for Federer. Djokovic will have to wait to complete his Masters collection. Fed back to No.2 for the US Open.

With tedious predictability, Serena wins the women's event. Please somebody beat her in New York.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:13 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,822,339 times
If all it takes is juicing, why isn't Stosur winning more?

Old 08-24-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Great win for Federer. Djokovic will have to wait to complete his Masters collection. Fed back to No.2 for the US Open.

With tedious predictability, Serena wins the women's event. Please somebody beat her in New York.
The whole WTA tour now just seem to be bending over for Serena, never seen anything like it before in any sport.
Age seemed to be catching up on her last year, until the USO, but what she has done since then, and at that age, just defies logic and beggars belief. At this rate Steffi Graf's record of 22 Slams will be equalled in NY and then gone by early next year, and then Margaret Court's record (which includes the weaker, non- Open Era) will then be on the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports