Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:55 PM

933 posts, read 1,489,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
What and when is the next ATP 1000 event?
In Canada, in three weeks, I believe. The women are in Toronto this year and the men are in Montreal. The sites switch off every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,621,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
In Canada, in three weeks, I believe. The women are in Toronto this year and the men are in Montreal. The sites switch off every year.
All top 10 ranked male players and Nadal will be there?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 AM

933 posts, read 1,489,603 times
Quote:
All top 10 ranked male players and Nadal will be there?
Yep, unless there is an injury. There's a chance that Raonic won't be back yet from his injury.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 987 times
merci

Old 08-07-2015, 03:25 AM

3,845 posts, read 3,075,937 times
Washington DC (ATP 500) Quarter Finals on today:

Groth vs Nishikori

Zverev vs Cilic

Berankis vs Isner

Sock vs Johnson

3 Americans left, and good to see fellow Aussie Sam Groth still in the mix.

ATP World Tour | Tennis | Washington | Daily Schedule

Last year's USO finalists, Cilic and Nishikori, could potentially meet in the Semi. (obviously hoping for an upset by Groth, but probably not going to happen!)

Old 08-07-2015, 05:23 PM

490 posts, read 686,775 times
The Rogers Cup draw was made today.

Djokovic has Wawrinka, Berdych & Raonic in his half. Murray has Nadal, Cilic & Nishikori.

Federer isn't playing until Cincinnati.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:40 PM

490 posts, read 686,775 times
A good win for Nishikori against Isner in Washington. He played really well. Could be a contender again in New York if his form continues.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,293,057 times
Quote:
Why is Nadal not doing this Rogers Cup? It almost sounds like it's named after Roger Federer.
Rogers is a Canadian telecommunications company, not Canada's ode to Roger Federer.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:14 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,293,057 times
I just got done yesterday attending most of the Citi Open, which is held about 3 miles/5 kilometers from where I live (and has convenient public transit bus service available between where I live and the tournament site). I've attended 1-2 sessions per year in 3 previous years, but this was the first year I bought a pass for the entire tournament. I ended up attending at least part of 9 of the 11 sessions (all but Sunday qualifying and Wednesday; I only attended in the evening on Monday and Tuesday) and had a very enjoyable time, though I'm a little worn out on watching tennis at the moment. It was good to see Kei Nishikori and Sloane Stephens win their respective tournaments; both were deserving winners. I thought Nishikori was in trouble in the final when John Isner took the first set, but as he did on Saturday against Marin Cilic, Nishikori didn't blink; he played very well against Isner. Stephens ended up winning the tournament without dropping a set, though she had some breaks go her way (Svetlana Kuznetsova had to withdraw before they would have played, and neither Sam Stosur nor Anatasia Pavlyuchenkova played particularly well in the semifinals and finals), but Sloane could have easily allowed the pressure to get to her (had never appeared in a WTA final before this tournament) and dropped her solid level of play; she did not.

The biggest bummer for me about the tournament was not seeing Andy Murray play a match. I did see him practice on the first Saturday and could have watched his Monday doubles match, but I figured I'd see him later in the week. Teymuraz Gabashvili, who has a good last few months since making the Round of 16 at Roland Garros, deserves a lot of credit for playing a very good match. (Incidentally, I did see portions of Gabashvili's other two matches, a win against Benjamin Becker on Monday night and a loss to Ricardas Berankis on Thursday night.)

On the other hand, the biggest highlight was meeting 18 year old prospect Alexander Zverev on the first Saturday in the stands (I ended up sitting next to him without initially realizing it during his older brother Mischa's match against Kyle Edmund; I talked with the younger Zverev a little bit) and watching at least portions of three of his matches (Monday vs Yoshihito Nishioka, Thursday vs Alexandr Dolgopolov, Friday vs Marin Cilic). The all-Alex match was a particular highlight because 1) Dolgo is also one of my favorite players and 2) the match quality was generally pretty high. In addition to the Alex Zverev match, I also got to see Dolgo put on a clinic in a match against Tim Smyczek. Finally, I had the chance to watch a couple of 18 year old star Belinda Bencic's singles matches, including one real up close on dinky Court 2, though IMO Bencic didn't play particularly well in either of her matches.

In general, the Citi Open was very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to watching portions of the Rogers Cup (men - Montreal, women - Toronto) and Western and Southern Open (Cincinnati) on TV the next couple of weeks in the lead up to the U.S. Open; those two tournaments are combined ATP Masters 1000/WTA Premier Mandatory/5 events, so most of the top players will play those two tournaments (though Roger Federer and Maria Sharapova each pulled out of their respective Rogers Cup events). As for the U.S. Open, I'll be going the middle weekend (Friday evening, and both sessions Saturday-Monday) and will be looking forward to that once I get some down time from watching live tennis post-Citi Open.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:35 AM

3,845 posts, read 3,075,937 times
Nick Kyrgios in some hot water with comments he made to Stan Wawrinka (Montreal Masters):

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/a...steful-sledge/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports