Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:06 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I don't think any of us here are former professional athletes, but what are some sports that you are the best among your group of friends or family? What sports are you not so good at?

Good:
Basketball

Decent:
Football
Baseball

Terrible:
Soccer
Tennis
Others
Not that it's a big deal but I am a former pro athlete. Played in the Red Sox organization back in the late 70's into the early 80's. Almost made the 40 man roster but was left off due to a physical condition that eventually ended my career. Pretty much spent my entire adult life in sports related occupations.

That aside I was a three sport athlete in HS, Football, Basketball and of course Baseball. I am a good bowler but my golf game sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 05:13 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Grew up playing volleyball (OH, Opposite)
Big time golfer - 3 index.

Can sort of hold my own on Skiis, ice skating, swimming, and football.

Love basketball - but horrible (can only go to my left)
Never really played soccer or baseball.
Growing up in a Tennis family, I was the black swan.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:54 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
best sport was football but my disdain for coaches and practice hampered my efforts there

fairly decent at tug o' war and I know I could have been a professional buzkashi player 'cept no one else in my neighborhood cared much about it and I didn't have a real horse and the neighbors kept a close watch on their goats

never got the hang of figure skating or tumbling
Yeah, my neighbors kept a close eye on their goats too but that was more because of my weird uncle that lived down the street.

I'm currently ranked #114 in the world at full contact knitting which is pretty high considering the Swedish domination of the sport.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:22 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,329,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Not that it's a big deal but I am a former pro athlete. Played in the Red Sox organization back in the late 70's into the early 80's. Almost made the 40 man roster but was left off due to a physical condition that eventually ended my career. Pretty much spent my entire adult life in sports related occupations.
Hey, that's pretty neat! Minors?

Old 06-19-2015, 04:32 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
I was pretty athletic growing up, played baskeball, golf, swimmer, ran track all through college, but I could never get the hang of volleyball.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
my problem was always when i would start to get a good grasp of a sport, i would start to get way too competitive.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:42 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Good: basketball
ok: football, tennis, soccer, ping pong
bad: baseball, all water sports, all snow sports

I'm getting old quickly so pretty soon there'll be nothing in the good or ok category anymore[sob]

Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I was never good at sports, rather uncoordinated, and not competitive enough by nature. My one sister broke her foot at a picnic playing volleyball (she wasn't young anymore)! We were talking about it recently, being competitive, she said she wasn't. Her son and I reminded her about the volleyball game.

I can ice skate, roller skate, water ski but don't look too graceful. I broke my arm roller skating as a 9 year old but still took it up again in my 50s. I had a fall in front of a snack bar and some wise guys (once they saw I wasn't hurt) held up their napkins with scores (like the Olympics)! I quit after a few more falls, no injuries, sold my skates.

I always wanted sports to be fun, not caring about the outcome, friends told me you have to care more about winning. I never did,

Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 AM

4,864 posts, read 6,929,879 times
At 60 years of age I'm not good at any sport other than maybe bowling. When I was in my teens and 20's it broke down this way:

Football - Well above average (Played small college and did get recognition)

Baseball - Above average (Played small college and many years of amateur)
Bowling - Above average. (For some reason it just came easy)

Basketball - Average (Played thru high school. Good at defense, avg. shooter, not a good jumper)
Track - Average (Threw discus and shot with some HS success)
Golf - Average (Mostly self taught with lots of bad habits. I keep thinking that I should be better)
Ping Pong - Average

Tennis - Well below average (Hardly ever played it and never got the hang of it.

Swimming - About as bad as it gets. (If I fall out of a boat, you better pick me up quick or I'm going down.)

Fishing - Horrible, Never catch anything good. Bores me to tears. Can't sit there doing nothing for hours.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:13 PM

4,864 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
my problem was always when i would start to get a good grasp of a sport, i would start to get way too competitive.
I hear you on that one. I loved the competition.

The only thing I've always been good at, but never let my competitive nature overwhelm me was bowling. If I was having a bad night bowling 150's I didn't care. The beer was still cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports