Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,039,418 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I watched the USA women win the a tournament to bascially win the World Series of women's softball. I watched a game over the weekend too. Yesterday they beat Japan.

Having laid that groundwork, I will now add that I am an "older" guy who watches a lot of various sports. Anyway, I was utterly shocked at the difference in size comparing the American women to their Japanese counterparts. And when I say "size", for the most part I'm not talking about height. I am estimating that the American women averaged about 50 pound more a player. I have tried to think of a high level team competition where one team was so much larger than the other, men's teams or women's. I come up empty. The Japanese women were generally slender. The American women were, to be kind, rubenesque.

When it came to softball, the American women were more talented, and they rightfully won. But I couldn't help thinking that it was a good thing they were playing softball and it was not a team triathlon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,565,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
But I couldn't help thinking that it was a good thing they were playing softball and it was not a team triathlon.
Well, of course. Different sports require different physical skills and makeup.

Could you see a male sprinter as an effective offensive lineman in the NFL?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,039,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Well, of course. Different sports require different physical skills and makeup.

Could you see a male sprinter as an effective offensive lineman in the NFL?
Maybe what I wrote was confusing. I intended to say that given their excessive size, the American women were lucky that the sport was softball and not team triathlon because they likely would have lost a triathlon to the leaner, better conditioned Japanese women.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:35 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,227,968 times
Japanese "women" have the bodies of fourteen year old caucasian girls. They simply aren't very developed.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM

263 posts, read 627,376 times
Christ man, it is softball, the 6 pack is somewhere on the mound, friggen donut eating ladies playing an over the hill game.... Yeah, I'll watch that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports