Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:27 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,353 times

Advertisements

I cant believe its been a whole year.Iam the most happy Ive been in years and I have the people Ive made friends with here to thank for that.this is my top ten reasons I love it here so much.1 my friends on this site.2 my friends here in RC.3my hubbys very happy here4The black hills5The big sturgis bike week.6 my kids schools.7lack of traffic8my stable job9black hills bagles on a cold winter day10Just the whole laid back way of south dakota.theres so much good I just cant put into words about how much love is in me for my new home state.thanks all for helping me and my family make south dakota our new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Excellent. Reasons why I like this place.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:44 AM

93 posts, read 163,724 times
I'm glad you are so happy!! I recently just visited South Dakota (Sioux Falls though), and I have to say that I appreciated the friendliness and laid-back attitude of the South Dakotans I met. I hope to call South Dakota home myself soon!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM

479 posts, read 1,555,178 times
I'm glad you like it here.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM

259 posts, read 851,065 times
I lived in South Dakota for a couple months short of 6 years. Loved every minute of my time there!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:08 PM

50 posts, read 104,131 times
Airboat, thanks for the encouraging words. I hope we feel that way after a year there ourselves. Where did you live prior to SD?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,886 times
We are coming up on one year, too! Despite some of the struggles - getting my feet under me after such a big and expensive move has been a challenge - I am still happy to be home, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! My daughter, who is 9, loves it here - for which I am very thankful! I just spent a week with my dad as he dragged us from one end of the hills to the other while he was here on vacation, and it was fun seeing him like a kid in a candy store - once you call this place home, it can get in your blood like no place else! He can't wait to retire and move back here (he and my step-mom currently live in Houston). It took me 25 years to come back, but I always knew I would. I would rather live here than anywhere else!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:56 AM

50 posts, read 104,131 times
I've lived in Dallas for 11 years and I have never, ever heard a good word about Houston. I bet your dad would love it up there.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:16 AM

151 posts, read 326,206 times
I am so blessed to hear your joy in the decision you have made! We were in RC last month, came home & are planning our escape from Oregon. I always loved my SD roots, never really thought I'd go back - being from Sioux Falls - the Black Hills is much more my (and hubby's) type of area. I have been gone 30 years & we WILL be moving by summers end.
I love peoples response when we tell them we are moving to SD - "it's cold there" EVERYONE says it! Like maybe we don't know, or that it would be the only thing that mattered!
It may be cold, but the people are the warmest I have ever known & we will be honored to be living among them. I love the folks I have met here in this forum _ I would like to meet for coffee & a bagel next winter! That would be awesome....have a wonderful day, see you soon.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:49 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Yes, it's cold here. That's our biggest advantage. Keeps a lot of the riff raff out. You learn to rely on your neighbors and friends when winter weather throws a monkey wrench at you. You trust them to help you as you would them if they need help.

It takes a certain type of people that flourish in our state. The people that move in and stay are almost always that type, whether they knew it or not. A small town willingness to reach out and assimilate in the community is a must. It doesn't matter if you're in Faith, Hot Springs, or Sioux Falls. People unwilling to become part of our communities will generally end up miserable here.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota