Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 07:22 PM

2,342 posts, read 1,736,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbp View Post
For those who are headed that way, I've driven on Needles Highway, mainly in off season when it was not thick with tourists etc, and it never struck me as particularly dangerous.
I don’t doubt it. I guess it depends on who is reading it, and driving it. From the article,

“The most famous tunnel is Needles Eye Tunnel... The tunnel is 8' 4" wide by 12' 0" high. You need to be confident and aware of your vehicle size before passing through”

When I first drove down to Cabo San Lucas, 26 years ago, I had never driven in Mexico before. I went to AAA and their guidance was that it is very dangerous to drive in Mexico, and driving at night was definitely not to be done. I was just gathering information. I did the drive, from San Francisco, and I drove at night several times.

I figured that AAA lawyers influenced what their guidance said. And I also guessed that many AAA members are retirees whose vision isn’t all that good.

I’ve driven in Mexico many times, day and night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 07:29 AM

227 posts, read 856,092 times
[quote=echo7tango;63871783]I don’t doubt it. I guess it depends on who is reading it, and driving it. From the article,

“The most famous tunnel is Needles Eye Tunnel... The tunnel is 8' 4" wide by 12' 0" high. You need to be confident and aware of your vehicle size before passing through”

Thanks for the heads up on this as we had no idea. Headed to the area in a month & glad I saw this. Did some research so we know what to expect. Have a regular suv so no issues. We started out with just 2 nights & now up to 4 nights in Keystone. Looking forward to seeing all the sights in all of the Black Hills area and keep adding to our list of places to see.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:41 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
Keystone is appalling, don't stay there. Stay in Custer or Hill City or Hot Springs or in Custer State Park instead. Everything in Keystone is shabby and dirty and sad and overpriced. No decent places to eat. Custer is SO much nicer.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:19 PM

2,342 posts, read 1,736,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Keystone is appalling, don't stay there. Stay in Custer or Hill City or Hot Springs or in Custer State Park instead. Everything in Keystone is shabby and dirty and sad and overpriced. No decent places to eat. Custer is SO much nicer.
Thank you!

Old 08-04-2022, 04:49 PM

165 posts, read 146,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Thank you!
Go to a site like Trip Advisor before making your travel reservations as far as how nice or shabby a hotel / motel may be. I learned the hard way not to rely on the reviews at sites like Orbitz. I made reservations at a hotel in a town down in AZ that had great overall reviews listed, but apparently under the OLD owner. It was a dump under new owner, and the reviews at Trip Advisor reflected that situation.

The main issue I'd have with Keystone is that it is on the main drag up to Mt Rushmore. Seems like it would be a super busy place to stay. Probably not as bad after Labor Day / after start of school. But where you stay will depend on what you want to see on your trip, how long you'll be in area etc.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:20 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
I agree with this in that there are much better places to stay as was listed. The shabby, dirty, sad statement I think is a bit overdone. It's a tourist trap and doesn't hide that fact. A smaller scale Estes Park. If you're a tourist travelling through the hills, especially for the first time, it's a nice little stopping off place to pick up the souvenirs you're probably going to buy anyway. This way the souvenir stuff is conveniently all in one place.

As to places to eat, there's a couple diner type places there where the food is pretty decent. Nothing there as to good upscale restaurants though where you would get a good evening type meal. I'd proceed on from Keystone to Hill City for better places to eat.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:05 PM

227 posts, read 856,092 times
Quote:
Not staying in the actual town itself. Powder House Lodge so hoping that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota