Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 09:38 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Assuming it's even worth it or allowed to travel this summer (feel free to chime in on that as well), is it realistic to do Custer State Park and Wind Cave National Park in the same day? I've not spent much time in the Black Hills outside of Mount Rushmore so am unfamiliar with how far apart they are and how big they are. I have no interest in entering the cave in Wind Cave, just seeing wildlife and maybe a little hiking. What do you all think? Assuming it's even realistic to travel much this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 06:23 AM

249 posts, read 241,641 times
Doing both in the same day would be a long day, but feasible. It does depend in part, on how much time you want to spend hiking. I live a few miles south of Hot Springs and we do parts of both parks in a day frequently. However a first time visitor might want to spend a little extra time in them and get more enjoyment from the trip. Be sure to bring some carrots for the Burros.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:21 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
Doing both in the same day would be a long day, but feasible. It does depend in part, on how much time you want to spend hiking. I live a few miles south of Hot Springs and we do parts of both parks in a day frequently. However a first time visitor might want to spend a little extra time in them and get more enjoyment from the trip. Be sure to bring some carrots for the Burros.
That's the key (bolded area). If you're just driving the wildlife loop and then Wind Cave it's very easy to do. If you're getting out and really seeing the park with hiking involved, it would be a long day.

There's more to see down there making it more of a 2 day thing. The mammoth site at Hot Springs is really cool and there's also Crazy Horse Monument.

I haven't been to the hills for quite a few years. I used to make it out there about every year. I always enjoy it and as long as everything opens up later this summer, will probably make a trip.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. What is the current status as far as opening? Is any of it open? Is it worthwhile for someone to drive around there with out of state plates?

Old 05-17-2020, 06:19 AM

249 posts, read 241,641 times
Both of them are open. The Parks include parts of 2 state highways that never close so the viewing of wildlife and scenery is always available. Some of the back roads are receiving their spring maintenance which is an annual thing. The visitors center at Wind Cave is closed as is Elk Mountain campground. You may want to check The website for Custer State Park to see what facilities will be open their. Most of them are private businesss so I would assume they are open along with the rest of the state.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:46 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
The time spent is going to depend on amount of hiking you want to get in. You can spend anywhere from a day to three days if you’re wanting to do plenty of hiking.

Needles and Black Elk peak can be an easy day or harder half day. There are some good trails and roads in Wind Cave. I’ve done them with a pickup and a Jeep.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:31 PM

42 posts, read 39,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Assuming it's even worth it or allowed to travel this summer (feel free to chime in on that as well), is it realistic to do Custer State Park and Wind Cave National Park in the same day? I've not spent much time in the Black Hills outside of Mount Rushmore so am unfamiliar with how far apart they are and how big they are. I have no interest in entering the cave in Wind Cave, just seeing wildlife and maybe a little hiking. What do you all think? Assuming it's even realistic to travel much this summer.
-------------------------------------

In the Summer of 2018, as part of a larger trip, I spent 3 nights and 2 days near Custer State Park.
I'm a cyclist, and on one of the days I spent a few hours ( don't remember exactly how long )
pedaling from just outside of Custer State Park down to Wind Cave NP on a pretty quiet S.Dakota
state highway. It was a beautiful ride, scenery was great, traffic was very light so I had no problems sharing the road. Got a little closer than I wanted to some buffalo that were on the side of the road, but I very cautiously got by them. Also had a little problem with a territorial mountain goat ( I didn't even know they were in the Black Hills ) who didn't take kindly to me passing by him and some of his female friends that were lingering just off the road. But made my way safely past, and all in all it was one of the coolest bike rides I've ever done. I did not go into the Wind Caves, just rode into the park so that I could say I made it, then turned around and headed back North.

If I had known ahead of time that Custer State Park was so scenic, I would have lined up reservations
to stay there. It seemed more like a National Park than a State Park to me, the scenery was that good.

So I don't think you'll be disappointed if you spend some time at Custer State Park. If I get back out that
way, I will definitely look into staying there.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_in_Mi View Post
-------------------------------------

In the Summer of 2018, as part of a larger trip, I spent 3 nights and 2 days near Custer State Park.
I'm a cyclist, and on one of the days I spent a few hours ( don't remember exactly how long )
pedaling from just outside of Custer State Park down to Wind Cave NP on a pretty quiet S.Dakota
state highway. It was a beautiful ride, scenery was great, traffic was very light so I had no problems sharing the road. Got a little closer than I wanted to some buffalo that were on the side of the road, but I very cautiously got by them. Also had a little problem with a territorial mountain goat ( I didn't even know they were in the Black Hills ) who didn't take kindly to me passing by him and some of his female friends that were lingering just off the road. But made my way safely past, and all in all it was one of the coolest bike rides I've ever done. I did not go into the Wind Caves, just rode into the park so that I could say I made it, then turned around and headed back North.

If I had known ahead of time that Custer State Park was so scenic, I would have lined up reservations
to stay there. It seemed more like a National Park than a State Park to me, the scenery was that good.

So I don't think you'll be disappointed if you spend some time at Custer State Park. If I get back out that
way, I will definitely look into staying there.
Good to know about the scenery in Custer. I have seen plenty of pictures but it's always good to hear someone talk about it who has been there. I'm leaning toward spreading the two parks out over two days.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
I went to Custer ark about twenty years ago.I found I spent much much time pondering the history and the circumstances of the events leading to the short battle and beyond.
Surely not a rush on for me

Old 05-18-2020, 09:49 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I went to Custer ark about twenty years ago.I found I spent much much time pondering the history and the circumstances of the events leading to the short battle and beyond.
Surely not a rush on for me
Custer State Park is in the southern Black Hills of South Dakota near the town of Custer. The Custer Battlefield where General Custer got his ass beat is in southwestern Montana not far from the South Dakota border, but well north of the Black Hills . Two totally different venues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota