Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,712,662 times

Advertisements

Funny thing...
Most of these are TRUE!!

If "vacation" to you means going shopping for the weekend in Rapid City, Sioux Falls, or Spearfish (while the kids swim at the Comfort Inn)...
You might live in South Dakota.

If parking your car for the night involves an extension cord...
You might live in South Dakota

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 8 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by...or if you consider that a sport!

If you're proud that your state makes the national news primarily because it houses the coldest spot in the nation...

If you have ever refused to buy something because it's "too spendy"...

If your local Dairy Queen is closed "for the season" from November through March...

If someone in a store offers you assistance, and they don't work there...

If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead...

If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time...

If your town has an equal number of bars and churches...

If you have ever been stuck in a traffic jam due to a John Deere tractor on Highway 34...

If you know how to correctly pronounce Pierre, Huron, Ipswich and BELLE FOURCHE... or know how to spell it!

If you think that ketchup is a little too spicy...

If you measure distance in hours...

If your family vehicle is a crew cab pickup...

If you know several people who have hit deer more than once...

If you often switch from "heat" to "A/C"in the same day and back again...

If you can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching...

If you see people wearing hunting clothes at social events, such as weddings, funerals, or "black tie events"...

If you've installed security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked...

If the largest traffic jam in your town centers around a high school basketball game...

If you carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them...

If there are 7 empty cars running in the parking lot at Wal-Mart at any given time...

If there are more people at work on Christmas Eve Day than on the Deer/Phesant Season Opener...

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit...

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow...

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction...

If you can identify a southern or eastern accent...

If you consider Rapid City exotic...

If your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a deer next to your cottonwood...

If the banana belt to you means Rapid City...

If a brat is something you eat...

If finding your misplaced car keys involves looking in the ignition...

If you go out to a fish fry every Friday...

If you find 0 degrees only a little chilly...

If you find a rack on a big game animal is just as attractive as on a female...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:08 PM

45 posts, read 198,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction...

Gee, and I thought the 4 seasons in South Dakota were, Construction One, Sturgis, Construction Two, and Ski.

Adam

Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Danny, that is so cool and you're right~it's true.

I forgot to let you know that we went to see National Treasure last weekend. I got so excited when they finally made it to So. Dak. that I missed seeing you in the movie. We were so impressed with their shots of Rushmore and Sylvan (I think?) Lake. They did an awesome job and the mountain looked so majestic. The scenery shots were beautiful and hopefully that'll encourage out of staters to vacation here.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 AM

Well, I went to see it opening night too. Waited in line out in the cold for 45 minutes only to see that I was not anywhere in the film!

So much for my debut!

Some of the geography was changed in the movie though. Sylvan Lake is actually about 20 miles away from Mount Rushmore in Custer State Park, not directly behind it. And I highly doubt the existence of an Aztec city made of gold beneath Mount Rushmore. Maybe I should head up there tomorrow and do some exploring. The rocks that the actors climbed on in the movie are actually a spot for locals to climb. I spent countless hours climbing on those rocks when I was little.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 AM

Yea, I kind of figured all that gold wasn't in a cave in that area. OK, at least I know that with my inattentiveness I didn't miss seeing you since you weren't there.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 AM

32 posts, read 220,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Danny, that is so cool and you're right~it's true.

I forgot to let you know that we went to see National Treasure last weekend. I got so excited when they finally made it to So. Dak. that I missed seeing you in the movie. We were so impressed with their shots of Rushmore and Sylvan (I think?) Lake. They did an awesome job and the mountain looked so majestic. The scenery shots were beautiful and hopefully that'll encourage out of staters to vacation here.
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't seen the movie, but isn't it Pactola Reservoir?

CT

Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thieroff View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't seen the movie, but isn't it Pactola Reservoir?

CT
Well, they filmed parts of it at Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park and then made it look like the lake was right behind Mount Rushmore. Pactola Lake is actually 30 miles or so north of Mount Rushmore. It is also a reservoir and it would probably be too low to do filming with. It's at about 40% capacity!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 AM

32 posts, read 220,920 times
We were at a lake this summer, right below Mt Rushmore. There was a few camps across the lake a ways. I remember that place distinctly, and I was searching around on Flickr one day and I saw a photograph of the same exact place and it said it was Pactola.

I guess they got their information wrong.

Any idea what the name of that lake is?

CT

Old 01-06-2008, 09:13 AM

Thieroff, in the movie it looked like it could've been Sylvan Lake. It did confuse me cause I knew it wasn't right by Mt. Rushmore, but it appears the movie industry just kind of skips around.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:14 AM

190 posts, read 433,554 times
The lake behind Mt. Rushmore is Horse Thief Lake.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota