Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 08:04 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,962,781 times

Advertisements

We were loaded and returning from omaha I had the windows down and loving life the it turned cold, and stayed cold.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
I was born in Pierre, lived on a farm south of a little town called Ree Heights a half day's drive to the east and loved it enough that when I wrote an action epic western book, I set it in South Dakota and entitled it "The Black Hills." It got bought by the number three publisher in America, Penguin Publishing the first time out ( a minor miracle) and is being published in December. I'm told it's a fun book and everyone who reads it, loves it and cries. Go figure. [Mod cut] search the black hills rod thompson. Go to Dakota especially to what the Indians call Paha Sapia, "The Black Hills," it's worth the effort.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: New users cannot post links or make recommendations.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 AM

654 posts, read 1,917,195 times
I too recently drove through your wonderful state. The Black Hills region blew us away. I wish we had had more time to spend exploring the area. Deadwood was so beautiful. And, call me crazy, but I thought the drive across the state on I-90 was kinda nice. It is so vast and so unlike what I'm used to here in TX. OK, we have some flat land here too but it is covered with billboards and other crap. South Dakota had such a pure look to it. Loved it and hope to come back soon.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 AM

380 posts, read 1,004,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I too recently drove through your wonderful state. The Black Hills region blew us away. I wish we had had more time to spend exploring the area. Deadwood was so beautiful. And, call me crazy, but I thought the drive across the state on I-90 was kinda nice. It is so vast and so unlike what I'm used to here in TX. OK, we have some flat land here too but it is covered with billboards and other crap. South Dakota had such a pure look to it. Loved it and hope to come back soon.

You said it...pure! I don't mind the "boring" drive across I-90 either. I love it even more when I am heading west and you start to see the hills in the distance. The closer you get the more beautiful it becomes. Like SD4020 says, "It's God's country".

Old 08-10-2011, 12:45 PM

20 posts, read 35,786 times
All of you could not have said it better.

SD is like a hidden gem and I hope one day to live there, if I'm lucky.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,889 times
Default SoDak

I am in the AF. Got orders to SD. People that have never been here said "oh that's horrible" but the people that have been here said "you will love it". So I am originally from PA and my wife is from Virginia Beach. I was stationed at Dover De for 9 yrs. Then I get orders here. At first I thought this us nothing to what I'm used to. Still I had a positive mind set. It didn't take long before I seriously fell in love with the rapid city area. The black hills, the lakes, the weather, everything that is here for our kids. My wife surprisingly enough loves the area also. I got orders out of here and have to leave this beautiful place. I made my promise that we would take a vacation back here someday. I'm gonna miss fishing, camping and the feeling during tourist season how honored I feel that I have all this the whole year and they can only spend a week here. When I first went to Mt. Rushmore what an overwhelming feeling. It was Unexplainable. Ok well enough about how much I love the black hills. Hope to come back here again sometime in the future. It an amazing place to be.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,889 times
Oh yea can't forget how awesome the sky is here at night. Full of stars!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,530,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Don't worry about those "brutal" winters. We have a banana belt that runs from just north of Rapid to just south of Hot Springs. It is a little warm right now, but the winters are temperate.
Does that microclimate make it slightly hotter in the summer (compared to other areas in the state), or is its effect mainly just to keep the winter a little bit more moderate?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,962,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Does that microclimate make it slightly hotter in the summer (compared to other areas in the state), or is its effect mainly just to keep the winter a little bit more moderate?
Nope. Hardly an issue. We lack the humidity. So it might be roasty we lack the heat index. It changes as you go further east.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,869,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Nope. Hardly an issue. We lack the humidity. So it might be roasty we lack the heat index. It changes as you go further east.
Except in Hot Springs. Hot Springs sits on top of a Geo-thermal formation which keeps it about 10 degree's warmer than surrounding area's most of the time. Having said that, I would rather have it 100 degree's and dry than 75 and humid. Others like humidity, so I guess it depends on ones preferences.
uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota