Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2022, 04:03 PM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times

Advertisements

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ge-at-The-Pier

Seems like the off campus student housing market would be saturated at this point in the Clemson area. Feels like it has quadrupled in 20 years.

This statement took me by surprise:

Clemson Area Transit, a zero-fare bus line known locally as CAT and the most frequently used transit system in South Carolina, already provides bus service to and from the campus with stops every 30 minutes and eventually every 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 08:25 PM

417 posts, read 432,992 times
When do you think this will be completed?

Old 06-12-2022, 08:43 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Sounds a world away from Johnstone back in 1979, and I’m not at all sure it’s in a good way. Luxury private student housing rubs my working class upbringing the wrong way.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklingstars View Post
When do you think this will be completed?
I doubt there will be a downtown / village. Maybe a couple of restaurants.

The location of this development is well off the main roads in Clemson.

The new student housing development Dockside on 123 in Clemson only has a second location of Your Pie pizza, a brewery, and a coffee shop. Dockside got a lot of hype.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Sounds a world away from Johnstone back in 1979, and I’m not at all sure it’s in a good way. Luxury private student housing rubs my working class upbringing the wrong way.
Living on campus is the better option as a student in my view.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:06 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Living on campus is the better option as a student in my view.
The campuses cannot compete with the lifestyle some of these kids have had or what some of the parents expect. Even middle class parents now expect dorms/campuses to have all the amenities of their homes/neighborhoods. The state schools will not get that level of amenity approved by the various committees in Columbia. So the private student housing folks swoop in with full/queen bed single rooms, solo or two person bathrooms, parking, pools, community rooms, spin or yoga rooms, in complex gyms, pools, rooftop decks and commuter shuttles.

Some of these folks have $ to burn and others opt for the priciest options while complaining about college costs.

The one thing that will curtail tis is when they saturate the market.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:12 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
One of my high school friends who did not even leave our hometown for college, was literally beside herself because her son was assigned to one of the high rises a freshman. I guess he (or she) listed all the dorms that fill with upper classman as their only preferences. But I was kind and pointed out he is an 18 year old boy- his only care will be making new friends and hopefully staying on top of classes.

I work on another campus in state and our two dorms (new name: residence halls) with the highest satisfaction are dumps. But they typically house 18-20 year males who love them for having exterior corridors, large lounges, and lower student to restroom counts. Every year multiple mothers are trying to get the kids moved on move-in day...

Old 06-15-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The campuses cannot compete with the lifestyle some of these kids have had or what some of the parents expect. Even middle class parents now expect dorms/campuses to have all the amenities of their homes/neighborhoods. The state schools will not get that level of amenity approved by the various committees in Columbia. So the private student housing folks swoop in with full/queen bed single rooms, solo or two person bathrooms, parking, pools, community rooms, spin or yoga rooms, in complex gyms, pools, rooftop decks and commuter shuttles.

Some of these folks have $ to burn and others opt for the priciest options while complaining about college costs.

The one thing that will curtail tis is when they saturate the market.
Clemson most likely has more students living on campus now then they did in the past. I'd be surprised if they had any vacancies in the older dorms. Many parents are not going to pay more for their kid to live off campus.

The benefit of living on campus is you can easily walk to your classes, dining halls, gym, downtown, football stadium, library, etc and not worry about parking. There is already a village atmosphere available if you live on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina