Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM

12,952 posts, read 18,805,608 times

Advertisements

I have always liked the name Holly Hill. I've never lived there, but I graduated from Holly Hill High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,680,164 times
Today I will pass thru Sweden, Norway, Denmark and North, South Carolina in my trip from Lexington SC to Hilton Head SC.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM

730 posts, read 1,403,537 times
When I worked in retail, I had a delivery truck driver tell me his next stop was in Beech Island and he had looked up and down the coast on a map all day for it.

If you don't know, it's in Aiken County.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,964,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Pronunciation depends on the accent. I have heard a variety of pronunciations over the years. The old school natives (a small minority these days) seem to say "GREEN-vuhl," "GRAIN-vuhl," or (rarely) "GRINE-vuhl." I have also heard "Grain-Vee-al" from non-native southerners.
Pronouncing Greenville in anyway other than "Greenvuhl" is just as incorrect as not pronouncing Clemson as "Clempson."
I wish SC natives wold push that on newcomers. Goodness knows the locals up here will correct you in a heartbeat - as they should - when you mispronounce the name of area towns.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,949,498 times
The name Irmo sounds like a country town instead of the affluent suburb it is.

Also a pronunciation question here McBee.....I have always said it like I say McDonald's but was corrected on that REAL quick when I was at Francis Marion! After that I went to MACdonalds and ordered some MACnuggets!!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,279,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Pronouncing Greenville in anyway other than "Greenvuhl" is just as incorrect as not pronouncing Clemson as "Clempson."
I wish SC natives wold push that on newcomers. Goodness knows the locals up here will correct you in a heartbeat - as they should - when you mispronounce the name of area towns.
I'm a SC native and lived in Greenville for 5 years and I couldn't stand it when people pronounced it as "Greenvuhl". I always, and still do pronounce it as it looks, Greenville.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,580,307 times
What about the Charleston pronunciation of "grain-vuhl"?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:07 PM

12,952 posts, read 18,805,608 times
The SC towns I lived in growing up were Sumter, Salley, Swansea and Santee. S-S-S-S. And I also lived for a while at Stump Hole Landing on Lake Marion.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 AM

245 posts, read 319,979 times
I always thought Clemson kind of sounds like the name of a STD. Plus people always mispronounce like Clamp-son including professional sports broadcasters. I think it would be confusing if they changed the name though, but I guess it was a guy named Clemson who donated the land for the college.

I think Clemson is probably better than South Carolina Tech which is probably what Clemson U. would be called if it it had a more generic name, with USC and SC State already taken. I wouldn't mind it it had Carolina in the name b/c many people have no idea where it is.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,580,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
I always thought Clemson kind of sounds like the name of a STD. Plus people always mispronounce like Clamp-son including professional sports broadcasters. I think it would be confusing if they changed the name though, but I guess it was a guy named Clemson who donated the land for the college.

I think Clemson is probably better than South Carolina Tech which is probably what Clemson U. would be called if it it had a more generic name, with USC and SC State already taken. I wouldn't mind it it had Carolina in the name b/c many people have no idea where it is.
Most broadcasters pronounce it Clemzen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina