Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times

Advertisements

... and yes, I know to most of the rest of the world, it's "football".

But in this country, and Candada, and Australia (and a couple other countries, maybe), the game where you kick the ball around with your foot is NOT called football. It's Soccer.

Now before anyone of you start thinking of this as another anit-soccer troll thread, it's NOT. Just a legitimate question. I want this question answered once and for all:

WHY DO PEOPLE GET THAT UPSET AT THE FACT THAT DIFFERENT CULTURES CALL THIS SPORT SOCCER?

Really, it seems just as child-like as anyone saying that soccer isn't "manly" or macho. I don't get it. I mean, Americans don't get their panties in a knot just because the Brits call pants "trousers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
To me it makes no sense that in the US you call a game where you run with a ball in your hands Football and a game where you kick a ball with your foot ..... soccer. But the sport itself is actually called Football.

And youre on the internet so "this country" dosent really apply on a forum with people from all over the place.

You could roll that argument and ask why do so many Americans get child like when I call it American Football and that I think Rugby is a tougher sport.

The name Football isnta mach or manly either. That has nothing to do with why we call it football. You kick the ball with your foot and the Football Associasion runs the sport

Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,142,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... and yes, I know to most of the rest of the world, it's "football".

But in this country, and Candada, and Australia (and a couple other countries, maybe), the game where you kick the ball around with your foot is NOT called football. It's Soccer.

Now before anyone of you start thinking of this as another anit-soccer troll thread, it's NOT. Just a legitimate question. I want this question answered once and for all:

WHY DO PEOPLE GET THAT UPSET AT THE FACT THAT DIFFERENT CULTURES CALL THIS SPORT SOCCER?

Really, it seems just as child-like as anyone saying that soccer isn't "manly" or macho. I don't get it. I mean, Americans don't get their panties in a knot just because the Brits call pants "trousers".
This post is actually fair enough, I agree.

Similarly, even when Americans love the sport, play the sport, live the sport... Euros and South Americans frequently put us down like we are inferior fans and players.

Admittedly my knowledge of the game begins at about 1994 (though I know all about World Cup history). And as a converted basketball player, I can often dominate the Euros and Latinos I play with on the pitch. Usually with speed, length, anticipation and reading the game rather than ball tricks.

Oh well, it's all just like dogs playfighting in the park.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Well for one thing, it was Europe that even came up with the word "soccer" and it was just an abrev. of Association Football (how you get "soccer" out of that, I don't know) but it's just the term we use because our football just caught on faster (to be fair, I'm only guessing that last part).

To say it doesn't make sense of why the gridiron sport is called football to me is just like saying... "It doesn't make sense to call ice 'water' because it's not liquid". Ice IS water, but it's just a different form of water.

When you really REALLY look at ALL three sports (football, soccer, and rugby):

- they are ALL played on rectangular fields
- they ALL have goal posts at the end
- they ALL have some sort of tackling or interception
- they ALL involve two big teams of guys trying to advance a ball down the field with some sort of defense in front to stop them.
- games in ALL three sports begin with (you guessed it) KICKOFFS

When you take out the smaller differences, they're really just the same thing. They came from the same make up, but somewhere along the line, they split and became their own thing.

That's why I just don't get why people get that upset over a name. And that's all it is.... A NAME.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM

I am cool with you calling it soccer but I just get terrible reactions from American Football fans when I call it American Football. So its six of one half dozen of another when it comes to reactions.

The three sports didnt start and go their own way.
Rugby started in the 1750's, American Football 1869 and Football has early references going back to 1280. The English Football Assosacion was formed in 1863.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:19 PM

607 posts, read 958,739 times
Why do we park on a DRIVEway, yet drive on a PARKway?

Etymology in the English language is a confusing yet interesting subject....

Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,543,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I am cool with you calling it soccer but I just get terrible reactions from American Football fans when I call it American Football.
I don't know anyone who gets worked up over the term "American football," especially if it's being used by a non-American. You must live around a bunch of oafs.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:34 PM

I do live around a bunch of oafs, theyre called Cowboy fans apparently!
Actually many forums I visit online people get upset about American Football.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,543,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I do live around a bunch of oafs, theyre called Cowboy fans apparently!
Actually many forums I visit online people get upset about American Football.
Well there you go. Never expect intelligent discussion from Cowboys fans.

Furthermore, C-D provides an example of the often irrational discussion that occurs on internet message boards (present company excluded, of course).

Old 02-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Well there you go. Never expect intelligent discussion from Cowboys fans.

Furthermore, C-D provides an example of the often irrational discussion that occurs on internet message boards (present company excluded, of course).
... you're getting an intellegent discussion from a Cowboy fan who started this thread right now. WATCH WHAT YA SAY....

And the point is still there, all three of these sports started at three different times, but still have some of the same basic rules and items.

I just can't stand when someone just HAS to jump in and say, "Oh no, NFL isn't real football...." or, "You Americans need to stop calling it soccer. It's called football, get it right".... all without taking in consideration that it's just a different culture. It seems ignorant and even douchey at times.

To me, it's no different than someone saying that the NFL is the most popular sport in the world and the Super Bowl is the biggest world wide sporting event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer