Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:19 AM

300 posts, read 1,211,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Wasn't that along the lines of this thread -- government stinks?
No, I think that was more along the lines of a serious immigration policy problem. I think we can all agree that if you visit Seattle to eat the inhabitants... probably not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian97 View Post
no, i think that was more along the lines of a serious immigration policy problem. I think we can all agree that if you visit seattle to eat the inhabitants... Probably not a good thing.
Thank you!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 AM

353 posts, read 934,696 times
Take a bus into Seattle, and rent downtown. You save a lot, plus, it is not that much more to return it at the airport.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:13 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Eventually, something will happen to Seattle. I'm unsure what...but you can't tax people who don't stand for it. We have the luxury of being able to leave.... Just like cops and firemen do...when they don't have enough money to prosper. There's a vast difference between prosperity and survival.
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_10231059 (broken link)

You know what I would find hilarious? If Microsoft and Boeing both moved their head quarters to say, Bangeldesh. I'd just sit and watch the government crumble as they try to get more blood from less stones.

Economy of Bangladesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$2300 bucks per capita, per year. Think of the savings!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Boeing moved their headquarters to Chicago years ago.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Egg. My face.

Should've said work centers..or factory..or most any other word but headquarters.

Woops!

Thanks!
http://fosterparkpethospital.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/happydog.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-04-2008 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I understand-but honestly- I do find it truly insulting to the tourists, Lord know we will spend enough on Hotel rooms- (now please don't tell me- they do the same bend over routine with Hotel room taxes....) admissions, restaurants, souvenirs etc……..
Yes, they do. I think it works out to be close to 20% with all of the additional fees and taxes on hotel rooms. Make sure you confirm that though.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I don't think this is specific to Seattle. I'm flying into INDY and the airfare is great but the rental car after the taxes is 100 dollars more than the weekly rental fee. If I fly into the next closest city an hour away, the car rental is much lower but the airfare is 100 dollars more.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
I believe hotel room tax here is 14% or 14.5%. For the moment...
Or is it restaurant bills that are 14%?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:57 PM

300 posts, read 1,211,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I believe hotel room tax here is 14% or 14.5%. For the moment...
Or is it restaurant bills that are 14%?
From wikipedia: Sales taxes in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Washington has a 6.5% statewide sales tax. As of October 31, 2007, sales tax is not applied on most food items and prescription medications (not including over-the-counter medications). Individual counties, municipalities and regional transit authorities are entitled to collect a sales tax, which vary from 0.5% to 2.5%. Within King County, the King County Food & Beverage (KCF&B) tax adds an additional .5% to food and beverages purchased in bars, taverns and restaurants resulting in an effective tax rate of 9.5% (9.0% on all other items).[65] Additionally, the sale or lease of motor vehicles for use on the road incur an additional 0.3% tax, rental of a car for less than 30 days has an additional state/local tax of 8.9%.[65] When renting a car for less than 30 days in Seattle, the total sales tax is 18.6%. When purchasing an automobile, if you trade in a car, the state subtracts the price of the trade when calculating the sales tax to be paid on the automobile (e.g., purchasing a $40,000 car and trading a $20,000 car, you would be taxed on the difference of $20,000 only, not the full amount of the new vehicle).
When staying at hotel (60+ rooms capacity) in Seattle, the sales tax is 15.6%. Residents of Canada and US states or possessions (only US and Canadian locations having a sales tax of less than 3%, e.g., Oregon, Alaska & Alberta) are exempt from sales tax on purchases of tangible personal property for use outside the state. Stores at the border will inquire about residency and exempt qualified purchasers from the tax.[66] Washington also has a Gross receipts tax called the Business and Occupations Tax (B&O).
Also, the seller of a house pays excise taxes on the full sale price. The amount of the varies by county. In King and Snohomish counties, it is up to 1.78%. For example, selling a house for $500K will cost you $8900 in taxes.
Residents of Washington are also obligated to pay a sales and use tax, which is incurred when a resident makes a purchase in another state and uses it within state lines, regardless of whether or not sales tax was paid in another state. This tax is based on an honor system for its residents and is seldom, if ever, paid.
The lowest combined sales tax (statewide and municipality) in Washington is 7.0% in most of Klickitat and Skamania Counties, while the highest combined sales tax in Washington is the aforementioned 9.5% tax on prepared food and beverages in King County.
April 1, 2008 saw tax increases in King County (+.001), Kittitas County (+.003), Mason County (+.001), and the city of Union Gap (+.002)[67], which makes King County's prepared food and beverages tax 9.501%.
On July 1, 2008, Washington stopped charging an origin-based sales tax, and started charging a destination-based sales tax. This change only applies to transactions beginning and ending within state lines and does not apply to other states.[65] Additionally, Washington started collecting taxes from online retailers that have voluntarily agreed to start collecting the sales tax in return for not being sued for back taxes.[68]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area