Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 AM

102,314 posts, read 108,515,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
As everyone in including Rotse knows I will be TRYING again for lift off in a few months but I have to say for me the freeze has taken the form in my case of weird business dealings if you are not from here . I was just ripped off for the third and last time by what is supposed to be a respected professional in this region . Cost me enough this time to finally not have anything to do with anyone in my profession in this particular area. My services are done until I relocate . Strange as others across the country have had to step in to help navigate something normally so simple that has turned into a trainwreck . Selfish and very materialistic with no thought given to anyone else .

My daughter is still very sick but will get her help elsewhere . I am so offended this time that i am sending her out of her first IF her dad gets on with Bombardier - he is on the 2nd round of interviews

Ruth , not all places here will allow you to have a window AC. You have to in many cases sign a damage waver, accept all costs for any damages ( so right away something else they can/WILL charge you 6 billion $$ for ) I am from a very HOT place and this apt can get hot but I am forced to put a fan in the window because I am done paying anymore excessive charges .
Well, I certainly agree about the lack of A/C infrastructure/building design in the NW, but it's only become a must-have in the last decade or so. In fact, others on this forum have occasionally reported that some new construction is now including A/C. However, I found that even in the 90's, there were several weeks each summer of temps that required A/C, so I did get a window unit. But I wasn't renting, so there was no issue. This has also become an issue in the SF Bay Area in recent years, BTW. Suddenly, A'C is needed, where it wasn't before.

What profession did you get ripped off by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 06:08 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,912,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
If you like to be left alone, enjoy cold, overcast weather year round, are extremely liberal, hate guns, hate freedom, love taxation and government controls, regulations, etc, it could be your paradise.
I like to be left alone, and enjoy cold, overcast weather year round. I also like urban amenities.

But I hate leftist politics, Antifa, homeless encampments, etc.

Any recommendations on where I should live?

Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,912,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
for me the freeze has taken the form in my case of weird business dealings if you are not from here. I was just ripped off for the third and last time ...
I don't see how the Freeze relates to dishonest business dealings.

The Freeze means that people are cold to you, "freezing" you out of their social circle. Whereas scam artists are normally super-friendly, pretending to have your best interests at heart.

Cold, unfriendly people are generally poor scam artists.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:23 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,855,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I like to be left alone, and enjoy cold, overcast weather year round. I also like urban amenities.

But I hate leftist politics, Antifa, homeless encampments, etc.

Any recommendations on where I should live?
Cinema Cat, actually I do respect and like how much privacy I have where I live. My neighbors leave me alone and mind their own business. However, sometimes I wish they were a little more friendly, but oh well. Some are friendly enough and wave, but others just have cold stares and pretend I am not there. I will say people in Lacey though are friendlier than people in Seattle. When I lived in Ballard everywhere I went I felt like I was a ghost as people would just walk by me and pretend I wasn't there and even acknowledge my presence. Ballard was the most unfriendly place I have ever lived in my life. However, in Washington, in general, people do just like to keep to themselves and want nothing to do with you which makes it hard if you are an extrovert (like me) and want to try socializing with other humans.

ANyhow, if you are an introvert type who loves cold, drizzly weather then I would think the world is your oyster.

Some places that come immediately to mind if you are a conservative type of introvert who loves cold weather would be Alaska, Maine and New Hampshire. Had it not been for the horribly cold winters and perpetually dark skies in these places, I would have left the Northwest and moved to these places years ago. However, my body just hates cold and I know I would end up leaving after the first winter of living in any of these places. However, these places are a Libertarian's paradise and are quite conservative. I hear upper New England, such as Maine, New Hampshire, etc are pretty reserved cultures where people just like to keep to themselves, but are still friendly and sociable if you wish to be, unlike the Northwest. As well, they have lower taxes, non-restrictive gun laws and now Maine has legal weed (if you are the Libertarian type, like me). And, I think everyone knows why people go up to Alaska. To get away from all the annoying humans in this world .

If I ever get wealthy, I may consider buying a Summer home in Alaska or Maine. Both places are sounding very nice to me now, but I will need to get a winter place in Panama, Arizona or somewhere warm , sunny and fun.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:00 AM

1,487 posts, read 787,530 times
Default Sadly, bye Rotse Cherut

You and I have posted on some threads together, you might have posted on mine, and vice versa.
I can look at a post impartially, and I can see the truths in your thread. I am 3rd gen Washingtonian/Seattleite daughter makes 4th. There is so much truth to your thread, it makes me cry. Where will you go?
Daughter and I are seriously thinking about heading out, but it's hard, you know? She likes Oceanside Ca. I don't know. Everything is so up in the air,but dissatisfaction with Seattle is at the base.
Have you looked outside King County? We used to live in Pacific County, and not that I would recommend it, but Grays Harbor county is next door, and that's Aberdeen Port Angeles. Just a suggestion, but maybe you can use the 411.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,210,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
You and I have posted on some threads together, you might have posted on mine, and vice versa.
I can look at a post impartially, and I can see the truths in your thread. I am 3rd gen Washingtonian/Seattleite daughter makes 4th. There is so much truth to your thread, it makes me cry. Where will you go?
Daughter and I are seriously thinking about heading out, but it's hard, you know? She likes Oceanside Ca. I don't know. Everything is so up in the air,but dissatisfaction with Seattle is at the base.
Have you looked outside King County? We used to live in Pacific County, and not that I would recommend it, but Grays Harbor county is next door, and that's Aberdeen Port Angeles. Just a suggestion, but maybe you can use the 411.
The SD area is so much nicer than Seattle in every way, you guys would probably love living there and quality of life would certainly improve. COL will be about a wash but it’s worth it to not live in an above ground river bed most of the year, scenery and people are a huge upgrade too

Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 AM

4,787 posts, read 3,088,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I certainly agree about the lack of A/C infrastructure/building design in the NW, but it's only become a must-have in the last decade or so. In fact, others on this forum have occasionally reported that some new construction is now including A/C. However, I found that even in the 90's, there were several weeks each summer of temps that required A/C, so I did get a window unit. But I wasn't renting, so there was no issue. This has also become an issue in the SF Bay Area in recent years, BTW. Suddenly, A'C is needed, where it wasn't before.
Now there are also "portable" air conditioners like this:

www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-398-3-sq-ft-portable-air-conditioner-gray/5077402.p?skuId=5077402

It has a flexible duct to vent the hot air outside; since there's no nailing to be done, your landlord shouldn't have a problem with it.

I've never owned one of these, so I can't vouch for their performance, but there are a lot of them on the market.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:05 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,210,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Now there are also "portable" air conditioners like this:

www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-398-3-sq-ft-portable-air-conditioner-gray/5077402.p?skuId=5077402

It has a flexible duct to vent the hot air outside; since there's no nailing to be done, your landlord shouldn't have a problem with it.

I've never owned one of these, so I can't vouch for their performance, but there are a lot of them on the market.
I have a couple in Seattle, they work great since it’s usualy not THAT hot for too long and the humidity is low. IME it’s best to get one BTU size up from what you think you’ll need though

Old 05-02-2018, 11:25 AM

320 posts, read 516,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
When I lived in Ballard everywhere I went I felt like I was a ghost as people would just walk by me and pretend I wasn't there and even acknowledge my presence. Ballard was the most unfriendly place I have ever lived in my life.
You keep saying this, but I've lived in Ballard for 4 years and have had the complete opposite happen. People are friendly, I know almost all of my neighbors fairly well, our kids all get along. People are nice when I'm out on walks with the kid or playing at the park. People make small talk while waiting in line at the theater or the cupcake place on Market. My wife made friends with a bunch of ladies that go to her Yoga place. Just last week we went to The Dane (15th and 80th? I think) and made idle chit chat with one woman and her daughter who was the same age as mine, we talked about a local brewery with another couple, and when I commented on one of the waiter's tattoos he told me about this band that inspired it and then we talked music for a few minutes.

I've said this before, but maybe the problem is you?

Either way, I wish you the best going forward. But do you really think its healthy to just sit on a website and ***** and moan about how terrible people are? If you only have 6 weeks left why not spend your time enjoying the beautiful weather we're having now? If you don't like the people, go hike somewhere! Go to a park! Go see a movie!

Spending day after day checking this forum and complaining about how terrible people are isn't really good for the soul.

Why not post on the city forum for where you're moving to try to find activities to meet people in your new city?

Old 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM

301 posts, read 314,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post

I've said this before, but maybe the problem is you?

Either way, I wish you the best going forward. But do you really think its healthy to just sit on a website and ***** and moan about how terrible people are? If you only have 6 weeks left why not spend your time enjoying the beautiful weather we're having now? If you don't like the people, go hike somewhere! Go to a park! Go see a movie!

Spending day after day checking this forum and complaining about how terrible people are isn't really good for the soul.

Why not post on the city forum for where you're moving to try to find activities to meet people in your new city?
I think he is fine, people who are permanently unhappy usually act differently. When you live in a place you hate and which makes you depressed, things usually look darker and more exaggerated. Rotse will find his happy place and probably will let it go eventually.

How do I know this? Because if you search this forum, you’ll find pretty similar posts of my dark times in NYC. I am much happier now and enjoy Seattle, including its freeze immensely - people are friendly, share a lot of interests with me and I quickly found friends; while at the same time everyone is respectful of my space and I am not viewed as cold and unfriendly here if I want to go for a bike ride or hike instead of participating in non stop cocktail parties. Now that I am in my happy place, I am capable to reflect on my past better and complain about NYC less and less - it’s a very specific city with it’s up and downs but which doesn’t fit me very well (I’ll definitely return as a tourist though).

And to finish on a positive note - something we can probably all agree to be happy about is that we are lucky to be in a huge and very diverse country. For many many countries, moving is a whole different kind of story and you can very well be born in a place where “Seattle” is the country’s only major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area