Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:38 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,738,922 times

Advertisements

Planning a weekend trip for end of September. National Parks are free on the 30th. I have to work until about noon on Friday and probably could pick up the husband in SLU before heading out... I suppose traffic would be okay going towards either Olympic or N. Cascades (we're done with Rainier for awhile). Not sold on which to do... have any of you gone up or over for a quick trip in early autumn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 07:38 PM

8,207 posts, read 8,431,146 times
Get out of town on Friday by 1:30 if you can. N Cascades easier, as you avoid the ferries or Tacoma drive around.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:20 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,054,949 times
Saturday fyi. Not Friday.

Saturday 9/30

Old 08-28-2017, 08:16 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,103,671 times
How many nights would you be gone?

"Free" is a moot point for North Cascades as there's no entrance fee in the first place. There also aren't many facilities, so knowing what you'd plan to do in either national park would be useful.

Olympic NP offers lots more variety, and while the ferry is a factor (I wouldn't drive around on a Friday) I'd go that way even if it means waiting for a second boat (unlikely at the end of September, past the summer crowds.) If the weather's good (and if you're spending the night) a drive out to the Hoh rain forest or one of the La Push beaches is a good day (assuming you stay in Port Angeles.) Of course Hurricane Ridge is also easily visited assuming it's not socked in.

However, in about the same travel time from Seattle as either NCNP or PA/ONP you could get to the Columbia Gorge, and have a terrific range of options for a weekend visit. It will be harvest time in the Hood River Valley, you can visit funky Maryhill Museum and Stonehenge, visit or hike around the waterfalls on the Gorge walls or visit Timberline Lodge on the side of Mt. Hood... many options. It's a National Scenic Area and not a national park (should be IMO but too much human settlement I guess) but well worth the investment in time.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Saturday fyi. Not Friday.

Saturday 9/30
I realize that. I'm mostly asking in reference to Friday, 9/29, because that's the day I'd have to deal with traffic and get out of town.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
How many nights would you be gone?

"Free" is a moot point for North Cascades as there's no entrance fee in the first place. There also aren't many facilities, so knowing what you'd plan to do in either national park would be useful.

Olympic NP offers lots more variety, and while the ferry is a factor (I wouldn't drive around on a Friday) I'd go that way even if it means waiting for a second boat (unlikely at the end of September, past the summer crowds.) If the weather's good (and if you're spending the night) a drive out to the Hoh rain forest or one of the La Push beaches is a good day (assuming you stay in Port Angeles.) Of course Hurricane Ridge is also easily visited assuming it's not socked in.

However, in about the same travel time from Seattle as either NCNP or PA/ONP you could get to the Columbia Gorge, and have a terrific range of options for a weekend visit. It will be harvest time in the Hood River Valley, you can visit funky Maryhill Museum and Stonehenge, visit or hike around the waterfalls on the Gorge walls or visit Timberline Lodge on the side of Mt. Hood... many options. It's a National Scenic Area and not a national park (should be IMO but too much human settlement I guess) but well worth the investment in time.
Two nights.

I like your recommendation and I'll consider it. We just want to enjoy nature, but we've already covered a lot of the immediate area and want to expand out.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:09 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,103,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Two nights.

I like your recommendation and I'll consider it. We just want to enjoy nature, but we've already covered a lot of the immediate area and want to expand out.
I'd strongly suggest the "Maryhill loop" - https://goo.gl/maps/dVrpSpmTfp52

Friday - Seattle to McMenamins Edgefield, a fantastic and funky hotel/winery/brewery/distillery/spa/movie/golf... property (built out of the former Multnomah County Poor Farm) in Troutdale, just east of Portland airport.

Saturday - Full day to explore the Columbia River Gorge and Hood River/Mt. Hood area. Stop at the various waterfalls, visit Herman the Sturgeon at the Bonneville hatchery, drive all or part of the Hood River Valley "fruit loop" (harvest in full swing.) Stop at Panorama Point just outside of Hood River for a fabulous view of the valley; if time permits and it's decent weather, drive (an hour) up to Timberline Lodge before returning to Hood River for the night.

Sunday - Head east from Hood River to Maryhill. Visit the Maryhill Museum and nearby Stonehenge replica before heading north on US 97 through terrific "old west" scenery to Satus Pass and down into Yakima, then back to Seattle over I-90.

In my view this is a near-perfect fall weekend - spectacular natural beauty, history, fun and comfortable lodging options, and incredible variety, from alpine to desert and everything in between.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:44 PM

8,099 posts, read 8,473,049 times
You can do ONP. Just go directly to the downtown ferry and take the Bainbridge ferry. Hurricane Ridge, Crescent Lake, and/or Sol Duc Hot Springs are all easily within reach. Or drive straight through to the La Push beaches or the Hoh River Rainforest.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:01 AM

812 posts, read 1,074,518 times
North Cascades could be lighting up with some very pretty Fall Foliage by that date. It is tough to beat the North Cascades for jaw dropping views, especially in the Fall.

You do need to figure out where you are going to stay though, as amenities are scarce. Maybe spend the night in Bellingham?

Seems to me that you get clear of traffic faster heading North too.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:02 PM

735 posts, read 881,065 times
As long as hwy 20 is still open, which it should be I would recommend the Northern Cascade, as someone mentioned the fall colors should be going at that point, but even without that the views are jaw dropping. Edit: Sorry I plagiarized from your post, Thom, but my go to way of describing hwy 20 is jaw dropping

Get some hiking in the pass, spend the night in cute little Twisp, head to the Coulee Damn and take a great tour through the structure. End of September might mean some corn mazes have opened in Eastern WA, wineries should have some tours that will interest the kids as an adult enjoys a sip or two of wine. Spend the night in Leavenworth with more hiking and then an easy drive back to Seattle.

A nice pleasant loop with a variety of terrains, climate and experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area