Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM

5 posts, read 5,926 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a primary house and liked a house in Lynnwood( Border of Bothell) that has school ratings like 9,9 and 2 for elementary, middle and high school respectively.

This house is part of a community that has about 90 lots and near by communities are coming around same size. I am looking at the house price of 620,000 for a 4 Bed, 2.75 BA.

The same floor plan in Bothell which is 4 miles away by the same builder costs around 780,000 which is 160,000 greater than the one Im looking. I work in Seattle downtown and my wife works in Bellevue downtown and commute is same from this place and Bothell.

The house prices in Bothell have seen significant growth over the last two years. I don't have kids now and I am looking from the investment point of view. How does the Lynnwood High school's rating effect the growth of my investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 05:33 PM

8,174 posts, read 8,317,242 times
Buy in Bothell, even if you have to buy a home a bit older.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,730,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Buy in Bothell, even if you have to buy a home a bit older.
+1. There is a reason Bothell costs more.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,043,288 times
Why?

Old 03-02-2017, 01:10 PM

128 posts, read 148,087 times
Buy closer to south Bothell/Kenmore/north Krikland area for the best investment IMO. Transit time can vary greatly depending on time of day, downtown to Lynnwood can get up to 1 hr during rush hour. You'll be able to find easier commutes (even bus) from south Bothell/Kenmore that goes both straight into downtown Seattle and downtown Bellevue and save yourself the hassle of sitting in a car and can't do anything else.

Also, if something happens to the economy, Lynnwood is pretty far out from the big employment centers and could see a faster and bigger drop in value compared to south Bothell/Kenmore/Kirkland. 600k should be do-able in those areas for a 4bed/2.5 bath older (~70s to ~80s construction) home.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:51 PM

Homes that are a little bit older in Bothell (50s, 60s, 70s) can be charming and remarkably well-constructed compared to quickly slapped up new development homes. They might need a bit of cosmetic work but generally have very good "bones". With these homes, you often have the benefits of some character, perhaps wood floors, often a larger yard than a new home. The central "Old Town" Bothell is pretty cute and getting better, some of these homes I spoke of are walking distance to this area.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:19 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,043,288 times
I love older homes. One thing with a new house is that it seems wasteful to me to renovate things that are already new and shiny. Whereas with an older place, you can update the old and replace the worn or damaged stuff with what you choose and what you like. Can customize it. I guess a custom build would give you the best of both worlds.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:50 PM

323 posts, read 449,394 times
Default Lynnwood transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrath View Post
Buy closer to south Bothell/Kenmore/north Krikland area for the best investment IMO. Transit time can vary greatly depending on time of day, downtown to Lynnwood can get up to 1 hr during rush hour. You'll be able to find easier commutes (even bus) from south Bothell/Kenmore that goes both straight into downtown Seattle and downtown Bellevue and save yourself the hassle of sitting in a car and can't do anything else.
Looking at bus schedules to downtown Seattle, Lynnwood TC and Kenmore P&R are about the same and Bothell's is 7 minutes more.

Lynnwood TC to Bellevue TC is 55 minutes with stops at:
Alderwood Mall*
Canyon Park Freeway Station*
UW Bothell/Cascadia College
Totem Lake Fwy Station*

Kenmore P&R to Bellevue TC is 65 minutes with stops at:
Jaunita
Kirkland TC
South Kirkland.

I suppose Bothell is 7 minutes less.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,926 times
I am considering older homes as well. But my wife is fan of new homes.

I came across the following option. Please evaluate this vs buying a new home in Bothell.

New Homes in Lynnwood, Washington | Pacific Ridge Homes Baker floor plan about 620,000

Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM

In real estate, we don't call them "old". "Vintage, classic, historic, timeless, character-filled" are all better words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area