Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,239 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family will be moving from the Bay Area in March. We currently live in a neighborhood with a great school that is highly rated. My daughter is in Kindergarten. However, we are in a suburb community. Hence, our reason to move to Seattle. We want a change. Our plan is to move to the city for a couple years and rent.

Our criteria for a neighborhood is a great school and walk-ability to events, museums, and parks. I am a SAHM with a 2 and 5 year old. Our budget is around $2200-$2700. We are primarily focused on Lower Queen Anne as Hayes Elementary seems to fit the bill. Does anyone have any apartments or condos they would recommend?

Although we have been looking at LQA, I am really interested in hearing opinions about other areas. Particularly family friendly neighborhoods with a good vibe, no further North than Queen Anne. My husband will be commuting to Auburn. FYI: he doesn't have a typical 9-5. And we REALLY want to get out of the Suburbs.

I look forward to hearing from everyone

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 12:34 AM

8,196 posts, read 8,386,172 times
Thurgood Marshall Elementary rates quite well in a dynamic and rapidly evolving neighborhood, the Central District of Seattle:
http://marshalles.seattleschools.org

Old 12-05-2016, 05:37 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,897,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammez08 View Post
Hello,

My family will be moving from the Bay Area in March. We currently live in a neighborhood with a great school that is highly rated. My daughter is in Kindergarten. However, we are in a suburb community. Hence, our reason to move to Seattle. We want a change. Our plan is to move to the city for a couple years and rent.

Our criteria for a neighborhood is a great school and walk-ability to events, museums, and parks. I am a SAHM with a 2 and 5 year old. Our budget is around $2200-$2700. We are primarily focused on Lower Queen Anne as Hayes Elementary seems to fit the bill. Does anyone have any apartments or condos they would recommend?

Although we have been looking at LQA, I am really interested in hearing opinions about other areas. Particularly family friendly neighborhoods with a good vibe, no further North than Queen Anne. My husband will be commuting to Auburn. FYI: he doesn't have a typical 9-5. And we REALLY want to get out of the Suburbs.

I look forward to hearing from everyone

Thanks!
Even outside of the typical 9-5, a commute to Auburn from LQA would be a deal killer for me. Perhaps look a bit further south (West Seattle, Columbia City, ...) Just my two cents ...

Old 12-05-2016, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 2,239 times
He all ready commutes 40 minutes each way where we currently live. So he's used to it.

West Seattle was an option. I just don't know to much about the area.

Does Columbia City have nice shops or things to see? If I wanted to go to downtown, would I have to drive?

Old 12-05-2016, 09:29 AM

Columbia City is great, one of the most diverse and interesting parts of town. If you are on the north side of it, there is a light rail stop (Mt Baker) that goes into downtown very quickly. Here is helpful Columbia City link: CCBA - Columbia City Business Association

Old 12-05-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
He all ready commutes 40 minutes each way where we currently live. So he's used to it.

Does Columbia City have nice shops or things to see? If I wanted to go to downtown, would I have to drive?
I'm guessing LQA to Auburn is longer than 40 minutes - some days it takes 15-20 minutes just to go from LQA to I5 - google 'Mercer Mess'

Old 12-05-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Columbia City is great, one of the most diverse and interesting parts of town. If you are on the north side of it, there is a light rail stop (Mt Baker) that goes into downtown very quickly. Here is helpful Columbia City link: CCBA - Columbia City Business Association
There's also a Columbia City light rail stop.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 AM

Good point, Tobester. I forget about that one because it is off of Rainier Ave S on MLK Way. It is indeed closer to the heart of Columbia City though. OP, I would go walk around the main core of Columbia City, very good vibe.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:12 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,095,888 times
Quote:

Columbia City to Auburn in the morning will be 40m on a few days every year, probably closer to 50-60 most days. LQA to Auburn would most likely be 70-90 minutes.

At the risk of being hooted down, let me throw out a curve ball. Look at north Tacoma, around Lowell or Washington-Hoyt elementary schools. These are fantastic urban neighborhoods, with lots of activities, terrific community spirit, easy access to downtown or to recreation resources, a lot of great old houses (look up the home in the movie "Ten Things I Hate About You".) The area's much cheaper than Seattle and would give a shorter and more pleasant commute for your husband.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,064,644 times
West Seattle offers several highly rated elementary schools,not to say that a high rating equates to a good school but certainly a good starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area