Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 09:43 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times

Advertisements

LOVE Uwajimaya store in the ID (International District). It's combination of great products, snappy displays, seafood and produce, prepared foods, food court, bookstore and just general vibe is hard to beat. Bonus is the free parking when shopping. We have a sometimes ornery nearly 18 year old teenager, kids that age just don't want to spend a lot of times with their parents. Semi-regularly she will say though, "Dad, let's go to Uwajimaya". She gets her Asian snacks, mochi, BBQ pork she loves at the deli, memories I'm sure of the 5 trips to Asia together when she was younger. Somehow in that teenage brain, she knows we are bonding. I cherish the moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 10:07 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uksniper View Post
you people that live in Seattle are very lucky

we ( wife kids & myself) lived in West Seattle for 13 months 1996/1997

absolutely loved the area...I worked downtown and the public transport was excellent

scenery in surrounding areas was breathtaking.

been to many other places in USA... Seattle is still my favourite place
West Seattle has changed a lot since you lived there, but generally for the better, except the higher RE prices. They're still lower than in Seattle proper, though. Long-time residents say, it's become a city in it own right: a lot of development on its north end. Also, there's a PCC Co-op there now, and other amenities that were absent before.

Did you ever take the water taxi to downtown?

Lincoln Park is great. There are a number of park-like neighborhoods in the area.

Old 09-06-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
LOVE Uwajimaya store in the ID (International District). It's combination of great products, snappy displays, seafood and produce, prepared foods, food court, bookstore and just general vibe is hard to beat. Bonus is the free parking when shopping. We have a sometimes ornery nearly 18 year old teenager, kids that age just don't want to spend a lot of times with their parents. Semi-regularly she will say though, "Dad, let's go to Uwajimaya". She gets her Asian snacks, mochi, BBQ pork she loves at the deli, memories I'm sure of the 5 trips to Asia together when she was younger. Somehow in that teenage brain, she knows we are bonding. I cherish the moments.
I like their gift section. IMO they should open a smaller store in Seattle's north end.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:18 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
The summers in Seattle are gorgeous......I always loved when the weather did its changeover, shaking-off the drizzly-gloom and stepping into warm, sunny weather.

Walking around Green Lake in the summer was so nice.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:28 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I like their gift section. IMO they should open a smaller store in Seattle's north end.
And another smaller store southside, Renton.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The summers in Seattle are gorgeous......I always loved when the weather did its changeover, shaking-off the drizzly-gloom and stepping into warm, sunny weather.

Walking around Green Lake in the summer was so nice.
I used to live on the west side of the U District, over near the freeway above 50th NE. It was a short bike ride to Greenlake from there. I'd ride my bike to the park, ride around the park trail, then stop for a swim. This was before the Canada geese invasion, and before the homeless encampments there. I've seen posts here saying it's not so pleasant anymore...

Is the PCC Co-op still there?

My recollection is, that the changeover in weather took place mid-spring. I enjoyed the transitional month: April or so? When there'd be a sudden rain shower, then a burst of sunshine and sunny, fresh air.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I used to live on the west side of the U District, over near the freeway above 50th NE. It was a short bike ride to Greenlake from there. I'd ride my bike to the park, ride around the park trail, then stop for a swim. This was before the Canada geese invasion, and before the homeless encampments there. I've seen posts here saying it's not so pleasant anymore...

Is the PCC Co-op still there?

My recollection is, that the changeover in weather took place mid-spring. I enjoyed the transitional month: April or so? When there'd be a sudden rain shower, then a burst of sunshine and sunny, fresh air.

Yup Ruth, the "old" PCC still stands strong and active at 75th and Aurora. There is also a newer PCC (larger, parking beneath it) near the old Gregg's Cycle and Little Red Hen on the east side of Green Lake. My office is close to that one, I was stubborn and wouldn't go for awhile as I had been going to the Aurora one for many, many years. The new one has grown on me though, the larger size means more product selection. They also don't seem to give me as much attitude when I forget my cloth shopping bags .

Old 09-09-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Yup Ruth, the "old" PCC still stands strong and active at 75th and Aurora. There is also a newer PCC (larger, parking beneath it) near the old Gregg's Cycle and Little Red Hen on the east side of Green Lake. My office is close to that one, I was stubborn and wouldn't go for awhile as I had been going to the Aurora one for many, many years. The new one has grown on me though, the larger size means more product selection. They also don't seem to give me as much attitude when I forget my cloth shopping bags .
I was in the Edmonds PCC last fall. They didn't say anything about bringing cloth shopping bags. It was not the PCC of my memories, though. I used to go to the one just north of Ravenna Park, which was the original one, I think? The new PCC looks a lot like Whole Foods. The funky, neighborhood-y, do-it-yourself, neighborhood volunteer vibe is gone. It was very sterile, and the prepared foods/deli dept. was completely uninspiring.

The friend I was with said, PCC switched over to a sterile, shiny corporate model some years ago. Is that what the Greenlake ones are like now? I'd love to find one that still has the old-fashioned authentic co-op vibe with home-cooked deli options, if you know what I mean. My friend drives up to Mt Vernon (she lives in Lynnwood, so it's not too far a drive) to the co-op there, for a true co-op experience. I must say, I enjoyed that one, and the ones in Bellingham more than the Edmonds one.

Is it the end of an era for PCC? Did the era end a decade or more ago, or is there still one (or more) stores with the old-time home-grown vibe?

Old 09-09-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I was in the Edmonds PCC last fall. They didn't say anything about bringing cloth shopping bags. It was not the PCC of my memories, though. I used to go to the one just north of Ravenna Park, which was the original one, I think? The new PCC looks a lot like Whole Foods. The funky, neighborhood-y, do-it-yourself, neighborhood volunteer vibe is gone. It was very sterile, and the prepared foods/deli dept. was completely uninspiring.

The friend I was with said, PCC switched over to a sterile, shiny corporate model some years ago. Is that what the Greenlake ones are like now? I'd love to find one that still has the old-fashioned authentic co-op vibe with home-cooked deli options, if you know what I mean. My friend drives up to Mt Vernon (she lives in Lynnwood, so it's not too far a drive) to the co-op there, for a true co-op experience. I must say, I enjoyed that one, and the ones in Bellingham more than the Edmonds one.

Is it the end of an era for PCC? Did the era end a decade or more ago, or is there still one (or more) stores with the old-time home-grown vibe?
I hear you! I think PCC has had to evolve to survive. I still find their “roots” in the shiny PCCs with long-standing deli items, bulk foods and commitment to local and regional products, and understand the need for the evolution. The one by Aurora still has the vibe you mean, even more so the one in the View Ridge area in NE Seattle (65th St and 40th Ave NE). Yes, the Mount Vernon coop feels old school, also the Sno-Isle coop in Everett is a throwback in the best way.

Old 09-09-2022, 12:14 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Ability to see touring Theater and other performers.
Just saw Hamilton last nite. Nice theater. I think I'll attend more major theater along with the local talent.
Haven't been to the 5th Ave Musical Theater venue. Haven't been to the Benaroya for a musical concert, have for a story contest. Have for the Moore Theater in the cheep seats.
YTMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area