Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:47 PM

195 posts, read 379,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
I learned to drive in California...is that any better?
Much! At least we'll be able to actually get somewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 03:05 PM
fnh

2,886 posts, read 3,936,698 times
^^^^Yes, give me either TX or CA drivers over WA drivers any day!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 PM

83 posts, read 114,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
I learned to drive in California...is that any better?
Just marginally. I have driven in all of CA's major cities, San Diego being the worst. DFW's drivers are just as bad and possibly more obnoxious than San Diego drivers, though San Diego drivers are more oblivious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
^^^^Yes, give me either TX or CA drivers over WA drivers any day!
That's crazy. CA and TX consistently rank amongst the worse driving states in the U.S.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 PM

184 posts, read 337,872 times
Your opinion of WA vs TX driving depends on whether or not you consider driving 60 in the left lane of the interstate to be bad driving.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 PM

739 posts, read 3,065,552 times
I think all people are bad drivers so.....

Old 08-22-2014, 05:25 PM

83 posts, read 114,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mongo View Post
Your opinion of WA vs TX driving depends on whether or not you consider driving 60 in the left lane of the interstate to be bad driving.
No, my opinion on bad vs good drivers are people who obey the law vs. people who drive unlawfully. DFW drivers are by far the least law abiding of all the cities I've driven in with the exception of San Diego. (Speeding, tailgating, changing lanes and turning without using their signal, etc) get it now?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:44 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,063,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Kind of related.... I'm considering driving down to SoCal mid-February.... in a Ford Fiesta... so, it's my understanding that there are passes along I-5 where chains might be required?
We've done the drive several times around that time of the year and have never needed chains. Not saying don't have them, just...saying.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:16 AM

26 posts, read 114,580 times
Default Round Rock to Auburn - we just did it 2 weeks ago

We did a 99% similar route than what you have listed using Google Maps. We drive from Round Rock to our new place in Auburn, but not in a truck. We were driving a minivan, me, my wife, and our 2 dogs.

Day 1 we made it to Farmington, NM. Day 2 we pushed on to Boise, ID, and arrived in Auburn, WA on day 3. The hazard that I can think of is the mountain passes, if you're thinking about doing this in winter. The worst part of our journey was actually I-90 coming up to Snoqualmie Pass. Up until now, we really can't understand what's causing the traffic back up and snail-like pace coming up to the pass. We wasted a good 2 hours on a 30 mile stretch where cars just filled up all the lanes, with no construction, no accident, no visible event-causing delays anywhere .... just weird.

There are some interstate constructions as well. When we got out of Boise, the interstate was half-closed. There were some segments where it was actually down to just 2 lanes, 1 lane eastbound, 1 westbound. We even got detoured by the local DOT having to drive on the eastbound lane, think of shared lane, on an interstate, which is weird.

There was a stretch in Utah, near Moab, where the US highway is just a 2 lane highway. But it did pass through some interesting landscape, red rocks and a genuine natural arch (Lexington Arch). The arch is a worthy photo ops. Outside of Farmington, NM, there's also the Ship Rock, which looked really really cool!

Old 08-24-2014, 03:50 PM

739 posts, read 3,065,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0m8470 View Post
We did a 99% similar route than what you have listed using Google Maps. We drive from Round Rock to our new place in Auburn, but not in a truck. We were driving a minivan, me, my wife, and our 2 dogs.

Day 1 we made it to Farmington, NM. Day 2 we pushed on to Boise, ID, and arrived in Auburn, WA on day 3. The hazard that I can think of is the mountain passes, if you're thinking about doing this in winter. The worst part of our journey was actually I-90 coming up to Snoqualmie Pass. Up until now, we really can't understand what's causing the traffic back up and snail-like pace coming up to the pass. We wasted a good 2 hours on a 30 mile stretch where cars just filled up all the lanes, with no construction, no accident, no visible event-causing delays anywhere .... just weird.

There are some interstate constructions as well. When we got out of Boise, the interstate was half-closed. There were some segments where it was actually down to just 2 lanes, 1 lane eastbound, 1 westbound. We even got detoured by the local DOT having to drive on the eastbound lane, think of shared lane, on an interstate, which is weird.

There was a stretch in Utah, near Moab, where the US highway is just a 2 lane highway. But it did pass through some interesting landscape, red rocks and a genuine natural arch (Lexington Arch). The arch is a worthy photo ops. Outside of Farmington, NM, there's also the Ship Rock, which looked really really cool!
Thanks! Since we will be driving a huge truck, I think I am going to go the boring, safe way to Cali and then up the 5.

But I live in Pflugerville which means we were pretty much neighbors. How has your experience been moving from this area to the Seattle Area?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:39 PM

710 posts, read 1,402,322 times
I moved from Houston to Seattle in late April of 2012. It was sunny and 70s the entire way - well other than an insane thunderstorm in Dallas that I presumed was an obstacle to prevent me leaving

Anyway, I drove four days: Houston-Amarillo, Amarillo-Denver (wanted to see friends there), Denver-Twin Falls, Twin Falls-Seattle. I'm not sure if the weather would co-operate January to March through the passes and it's probably just a toss-up on what the weather will be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area