Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 PM

56 posts, read 59,354 times

Advertisements

I'm finally getting to go and visit Seattle after years of hounding my parents to let me go.

Some info... I'll be flying in from Miami, FL with my best friend
. It's hot here. I know I should expect to experience some cold weather in Seattle. How heavy should I pack? Is a raincoat fine?

I bought the CityPass, which let's me experience a variety of things, but I wanna know what else you recommend. I know I wanna do the Underground Tour.

And lastly, where's a good location to book a hotel? I wanted to stay in downtown, but I'm not looking to spend $200/daily. A few minutes from downtown is what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 PM

634 posts, read 900,702 times
Hello. Welcome to the Emerald City. Definitely want to pack at least a light jacket for March, it won't be warm and balmy. You also might want to pack heavier socks, a sweater or two, and long pants. I doubt you'll need shorts unless you are very warm-blooded. It will be rainy, most here don't use umbrellas, but bring a small one if you prefer, however torrential Florida-ish storms are few.

On inexpensive hotels, look on the travel sites for hotels in some of the outlying neighborhoods like Queen Anne, Capital Hill, and University District, all of which have a smattering of places. Seattle has a very good bus/rail/streetcar system so "not staying downtown" won't cause you to miss out on anything.

Not knowing your age/interests it's hard to mention some of the more offbeat, known only to locals, type of attractions. Perhaps if you'll tell us some more about the type of traveler you are.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,914,688 times
The Travel Lodge near the Space Needle is inexpensive. But its walls are paper thin. You can hear your neighbors on either side of your room.

But that shouldn't be a problem, unless you plan to spend most of you stay in your hotel room.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,421,861 times
Mediterranean Inn on Lower Queen Anne is well located, and less than a hundred a night. Best Western Loyal Inn around 7th and Bell is also lower priced.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:02 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,194,225 times
First time I visited, 1993, it was June. Wondered if it would rain. It did, then cleared up a bit. Little of both, in a weekend visit. Funny: that Travel Lodge was there back then, too. Bet it looked better 20 years ago. Suited me and my dad just fine, on the cheap.

Temps: My guess, from many years here but w/o hard data, is highs in high 40s, lows high 30s. Catch a weird warm spell, or cold spell, anything is possible: they happen. We had a week of hard freeze in December that was unusual. I've seen a weird January warm spell or two, as well. Point being, much more variation around the mean here in the northern latitudes, continental U.S.-style ("real" northern latitudes, like St. Petersburg or Helsinki, are another story). I'd follow specific counsel of other responder up-thread for sweaters, rain coats, etc. I'd bet on rain throughout.

Couple years ago, I stumbled on a guy hosting walking tours in Seattle, from Westlake Plaza, via some "Things to Do" type website, Yelp, or whatnot. Quite fun, that, as I was his only customer one late January morning in 2011. We went anyway, best $10 I've ever spent on the what-for in this town from a young guy who knew a ton of cool and interesting spots I'd never seen. Poured rain the whole time. I was prepared, you should be, too. Most any sort of tour like that will be entertaining. Even riding the stupid "Duck" is always amusing, if campy.

You could do worse than wander that area and take mass transit. I learn a lot from riding buses and trains in a new-to-me city.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:44 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,184,450 times
March is warmer than that, might be 50-55 or even 60.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 PM

56 posts, read 59,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Hello. Welcome to the Emerald City. Definitely want to pack at least a light jacket for March, it won't be warm and balmy. You also might want to pack heavier socks, a sweater or two, and long pants. I doubt you'll need shorts unless you are very warm-blooded. It will be rainy, most here don't use umbrellas, but bring a small one if you prefer, however torrential Florida-ish storms are few.

On inexpensive hotels, look on the travel sites for hotels in some of the outlying neighborhoods like Queen Anne, Capital Hill, and University District, all of which have a smattering of places. Seattle has a very good bus/rail/streetcar system so "not staying downtown" won't cause you to miss out on anything.

Not knowing your age/interests it's hard to mention some of the more offbeat, known only to locals, type of attractions. Perhaps if you'll tell us some more about the type of traveler you are.
We're in the 21/22 age range. We enjoy a few drinks, but we're mostly interested in getting to know the city, as I am planning to move there in a couple of years.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,896,419 times
For really cheap, I hear there's a great hostel in the Pike Place Market area.

http://www.greentortoise.net/

Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 AM

19 posts, read 40,268 times
highly recommend Columbia tower instead of Space needle

Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,796,552 times
Lower Queen Anne is a pretty decent location - it's close to Seattle Center and a very quick bus ride or monorail ride to DT. If you stay there, I'd highly recommend going to Upper Queen Anne for a stroll around - have breakfast at the 5 Spot, see Kerry Park (and some amazing views of Seattle), poke your head into Chocopolis and enjoy some of the lovely architecture. It'll give you a really good feel for a local neighborhood that has character, but isn't touristy.

March should be decent temps, but usually not shorts-weather. We'll probably have some mix of nice/rainy days. Definitely jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts/fleece and something waterproof-but-light. I wouldn't worry about an umbrella - every grocery store has them if you find you need one. Happy traveling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area