Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 14,792 times

Advertisements

Just moved into new home in Seattle, to discover that after dark falls, the neighboring building's floodlights shine into my living room. I approached the bldg manager about re-angling the lights lower or trying spotlight bulbs in place of floodlight bulbs (which I bought) and just got a lot of hostility. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? (I was super nice when I called & I have already ordered shades...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:08 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
I don't know if you can force the neighbor to change, but maybe there is a city ordinance that applies. A call or email to the right city department might help.

Maybe you can plant a fast growing evergreen tree to block the light. There could be a window film that would help. Blackout curtains are another possibility.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:59 PM

191 posts, read 510,585 times
The problem is that you went to the building manager instead of going to the person with the flood lights. Most people are reasonable, when you show the basic human decency of talking to them. Instead you went straight to the building manager, who was right in being hostile to someone lacking basic social skills

If not being an a$%hole is too tough for you, then I suggest embracing your inner P#$ck and shooting the damn lights out with a BB gun.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Patron speaks the truth, at least those last few words. When I lived in Denver, I had this exact same problem. Upon approaching the home's owner about this, he in response put even brighter lights in the sockets. "Mysteriously", every time the guy next door would replace his flood lamps from then on, some neighborhood miscreant would shoot them out with a little BB gun. And when he put a camera up trying to find whoever was doing it, that dastardly BB toting fiend painted the lens with black spraypaint.

He eventually let them go dark.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 PM

11 posts, read 43,187 times
I believe that there is an ordinance within the Seattle City limits which calls for bright exterior lights to have blinds surrounding them so that the light is directed downward instead of outward.

I ran into that issue about 12 years ago when a new building was built nearby with bright exterior lights which lit up the exterior of their building and the driveway / street behind their building. The blinds (for lack of a more technical term) around the light work well to keep the light from spilling over onto adjacent properties.

Check with the Department of Planning and Development (DPD). They used to call themselves the DCLU.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 AM

191 posts, read 510,585 times
You could also try talking to your neighbor. Here is your verbiage, "Hey Bob, love what you've done with the lighting, but unfortunately those (point) ones are shining directly into my bedroom at night. My girl/boyfriend finds it a bit awkward as it forces him/her to actually see me during the making of the sexy time (wink wink). Would you mind angling them down a bit? Thanks Bob, on behalf of me and Sarah/Sean, have a great day!"

Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,013 times
There's a great new invention that might help:
designview Cut-to-size 37.25 In. x 78 In. White 6 Mil Room Darkening Vinyl Roller Shades - 37-3010-01 at The Home Depot

Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Hey, that's a good idea. However, before you buy the shades, check with the offending neighbor to make sure they will pay for them.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
You could also try talking to your neighbor.
Agreed...that should always be the first step.

I wish that approach would have worked with the building I mentioned earlier. However, they were not open to any suggestions.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:35 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Is this a commercial or residential building that has the floodlights?

If it's a commercial building, I wouldn't expect much cooperation with your complaint and blinds are your best bet. Perhaps you should expect some light pollution living close to a commercial building?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area