Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 56,696 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just got out of the Army, and we (wife, child and myself) are about to relocate from Honolulu, HI to Bellevue, where I am going to be starting my new "civilian" job. My parents currently reside on the East Coast, and I am trying to have them relocate to the area soon after we get there. My father worked in the technologies engineering field for many years, and retired a few years back -- but he would be open to doing some independent consulting work in his field(s) of expertise (acoustics, electronics, etc). We would like to be somewhat close to them in proximity, but also with a reasonable distance so as not to overcrowd each other (i.e. not Bellevue). We have found good potential rental communities for them in Redmond, Issaquah and Kirland, all of which seem to be nice areas and fit the bill in terms of proximity/location; now, we're trying to decide between them. They are of (Asian) Indian descent, and would like to be in a nice, safe town with ethnic diversity and decent amenities. My dad would also want reasonable commute proximity to the tech companies, in case he decides to go ahead and do some consulting. Of these 3 towns, which do you think would be the best fit for them? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 05:25 PM

148 posts, read 765,972 times
These three suburbs are basically all the same.

In other words, they are not different enough that one would be a better fit over another

Old 07-05-2007, 05:30 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,054,934 times
Hi doc. I'd say any of the three would be good.

I'm partial to Redmond because that's where I lived for over 30 years. It's convenient to the tech corridor and well diversified. At one time I had East Indian neighbors on both sides and they were wonderful. I still keep in touch with one family.

I hope more people will post and let you know the pros and cons of all three as they see it.

Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:52 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,067,040 times
Over the three, my first pick is Issaquah, with Redmond as a close second - and I personally don't really prefer Kirkland ... UNLESS you can afford waterfront property.

These are all personal preference, but like other posters above said, one doesn't have anything striking about them, over the other, that would make it stand ahead.

All are diverse, easy to access and all will have commute issues one way or the other.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:28 AM

7 posts, read 56,696 times
Thanks guys for the replies, appreciate the advice. Any additional advice/opinions would be appreciated!

Best wishes.

Last edited by Armydoc; 07-07-2007 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Moderator suggestion to keep in same forum

Old 07-07-2007, 11:37 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,054,934 times
(I've already deleted it, doc ...I think you'll get better responses here as our T.O.S. doesn't allow cross-posting.)

Old 08-22-2007, 03:24 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armydoc View Post
Hello,

I just got out of the Army, and we (wife, child and myself) are about to relocate from Honolulu, HI to Bellevue, where I am going to be starting my new "civilian" job. My parents currently reside on the East Coast, and I am trying to have them relocate to the area soon after we get there. My father worked in the technologies engineering field for many years, and retired a few years back -- but he would be open to doing some independent consulting work in his field(s) of expertise (acoustics, electronics, etc). We would like to be somewhat close to them in proximity, but also with a reasonable distance so as not to overcrowd each other (i.e. not Bellevue). We have found good potential rental communities for them in Redmond, Issaquah and Kirland, all of which seem to be nice areas and fit the bill in terms of proximity/location; now, we're trying to decide between them. They are of (Asian) Indian descent, and would like to be in a nice, safe town with ethnic diversity and decent amenities. My dad would also want reasonable commute proximity to the tech companies, in case he decides to go ahead and do some consulting. Of these 3 towns, which do you think would be the best fit for them? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Check out Sammamish! It's first place that came to mind while reading your post. Of your three, it would be a toss-up between Redmond and Issaquah. We are in Redmond. Redmond Ridge might be ideal for your parents and their needs. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:57 PM

506 posts, read 2,575,435 times
IMO Issaquah is farther away from Bellevue than Kirkland or Redmond so if you enjoy "city life" then you might want to consider that. The houses you can buy out there will probably be bigger though compared to anything in Redmond or Kirkland.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:17 PM

59 posts, read 270,942 times
I disagree that they are all the same. I think Issaquah has a more unique feel that I would prefer over either Redmond or (especially) Bellevue.

I would vote for Issaquah or Redmond, since I prefer a smaller-town vibe. Bellevue is really a pretty large town with an actual skyline.

I think all three are pretty ethnically diverse. All would have good amenities and be a decent commute to most tech opportunities on the East side.

Of course, being new in a new region, they might be most comfortable living wherever is closest to you!

I hope you all love the area and feel right at home here! Welcome!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,518 times
I would recommend Issaquah - I-90 corridor is better location to be for easy commute to Seattle and Bellevue - You can take easy by road off I-90 to get to Bellevue instead of getting on to 405.

Redmond would be a close second though commute can be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area