Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 05:02 PM

8,397 posts, read 4,688,556 times

Advertisements

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...on/8509131002/

A new survey from the American moving company Mayflower revealed what many living here already know. Sarasota was ranked as the No. 1 metropolitan area people moved to from July 2019 to July 2021.

Mayflower's “Finding Home” data also listed the Fort Myers-Cape Coral area as third on the national inbound moving list.

It's the enticing 80-degree weather and warm sandy beaches drawing northerners. In fact, more than two-thirds of those in Mayflower's survey moving to areas like Florida indicated that weather is a top influence for relocating.

Florida ranked fifth among inbound states for movers, behind Idaho, South Carolina, Oregon and Tennessee.

Mayflower based the destination ranking on the percentage of inbound and outbound state moves compared to overall state moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 05:33 PM

25,788 posts, read 12,849,279 times
No surprise. Our restaurants are packed already, and home values almost doubling in the past 3 years.

Some posters here are going to have a stroke hearing this news.

I'm already planning my next move.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:49 AM

25,788 posts, read 12,849,279 times
The Herald Tribune link is locked, so here's the same Mayflower press release that isnt locked:

https://www.wcax.com/prnewswire/2021...ur-identities/

No wonder I cant get near any restauruants F,Sat, & Sun already in mid-October. This areticle confirms the claims I've been making here about how packed it is here now vs. the past, & its not just season anymore, its nearly all the time.

It also confirms my claims that many of those moving here are affluent, because mostly the top 20% are using van lines like Mayflower to move.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:04 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,898,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Herald Tribune link is locked, so here's the same Mayflower press release that isnt locked:

https://www.wcax.com/prnewswire/2021...ur-identities/

No wonder I cant get near any restauruants F,Sat, & Sun already in mid-October. This areticle confirms the claims I've been making here about how packed it is here now vs. the past, & its not just season anymore, its nearly all the time.

It also confirms my claims that many of those moving here are affluent, because mostly the top 20% are using van lines like Mayflower to move.
Restaurants are also packed in the Tampa Bay Area.

Old 10-19-2021, 08:44 AM

564 posts, read 552,893 times
I am not sure how many others travel much, but it is harder getting a table in Chicago than it is here. I had to go three weeks out to get a reservation that I want. Here they are crowded, but you can get reservations.

I think people are merging multiple issues into one and blaming it all on people moving here. If that was the case reservations in the north should be easy, right?

Old 10-19-2021, 10:03 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,349,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshan View Post
I am not sure how many others travel much, but it is harder getting a table in Chicago than it is here. I had to go three weeks out to get a reservation that I want. Here they are crowded, but you can get reservations.

I think people are merging multiple issues into one and blaming it all on people moving here. If that was the case reservations in the north should be easy, right?
I agree. More people are vaccinated, hence getting out more. Because like this summer June, July the restaurants were more pack than they were back in March when we had the snowbirds and vacationers down here.

Before the masses got vaccinated I ran into a lot of older people "typical age group for this area" who didn't like to go out much and if they did it was during off hours to avoid crowds.

Also, covid numbers are way down now as well.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:06 AM

What's funny about the article is Florida is ranked 5th behind OR, TN, ID, SC??? More move to ID??

I've seen those Mayflower press releases before. I think they're bunk. There is no way Florida is ranked that low.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:48 PM

42 posts, read 31,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
What's funny about the article is Florida is ranked 5th behind OR, TN, ID, SC??? More move to ID??

I've seen those Mayflower press releases before. I think they're bunk. There is no way Florida is ranked that low.
you DO know that lots of Floridians are selling and moving don't you?

the media and moving companies certainly won't admit that, their business is to promote relocations and if the impression that Floridians are actually finding other places to live for reasons of overcrowding, house prices, cultural shift etc, they aren't going to pursue that metric...

more and more residents of FL are beginning not to want to live next door to transplants from a few key areas, and that's a fact, but most media ignore this transition for a variety of business reasons, which I understand fully.

I have several good friends, a few associates, and a few family members that have sold, packed up and moved the hell out of Florida over the past 3 years. Several have landed in south Georgia, SE Alabama near the FL line, central and east Tennessee, north Alabama, coastal or near coastal South Carolina and Arkansas (NWA, Hot Springs area Quachita, and east Texas (Longview/Tyler).

There also has been substantial intra-state migration and selling, with people moving to places like Winter Haven, Lakeland, Big Bend, Gainesville, Walton County and Ocala.

Why? most have taken big profits by selling their houses to chumps, and most don't like what's happening to the environment and culture. They despise it but remain relatively quiet about their disdain for unknown reasons unless they're friends or family.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:13 PM

42 posts, read 31,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
No surprise. Our restaurants are packed already, and home values almost doubling in the past 3 years.

Some posters here are going to have a stroke hearing this news.

I'm already planning my next move.

Many many residents (long time and/or natives) have been planning their own move, more recently just after Covid hit - now they are in full swing, not a massive exodus by any means, but more than the media talks about or have researched in the past 2 years. I'm not talking about part time residents with people that have winter homes or condos, I, talking about couples and families with children.

There are fabulous places to live in the USA...Florida is getting to the breaking point in many categories and many residents seem a quietly fed up, which is completely understandable. It's unfortunate what certain parts of Florida has become - Lee, Collier, Hillsborough, Sarasota and parts of Manatee.

I used to think fondly of Lakeland, Winter Haven, Plant City, Zephyrhills Crystal Springs , Lake City, Ocala etc , but not so much anymore. The idiots have invaded, esp Lakeland/Winter Haven.

Shameful. Go the hell home, or simply discover the rest of the nation.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouthForChrist View Post
Many many residents (long time and/or natives) have been planning their own move, more recently just after Covid hit - now they are in full swing, not a massive exodus by any means, but more than the media talks about or have researched in the past 2 years. I'm not talking about part time residents with people that have winter homes or condos, I, talking about couples and families with children.

There are fabulous places to live in the USA...Florida is getting to the breaking point in many categories and many residents seem a quietly fed up, which is completely understandable. It's unfortunate what certain parts of Florida has become - Lee, Collier, Hillsborough, Sarasota and parts of Manatee.

I used to think fondly of Lakeland, Winter Haven, Plant City, Zephyrhills Crystal Springs , Lake City, Ocala etc , but not so much anymore. The idiots have invaded, esp Lakeland/Winter Haven.

Shameful. Go the hell home, or simply discover the rest of the nation.

I don't have a problem with people from places like Indiana, IL, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, West Virginia, Ohio, Canadian transplants. They're more friendly, more conservative. It's the ones from the Northeast that drive up prices, rude, very liberal, and annoying that are ruining Florida. Those high paying jobs in New England give them more purchasing power.

Here in my area of SWFL during season you hear tons of New England accents. Everyone says the midwest and upper south are the main people during season. That's BS. I see many more from MA, NJ, NY than I see from those states.

My main worry is Florida becomes liberal like CO and MD eventually. It tips each election one way or another the last 30 years.

Southern Missouri, Eastern Tennessee, Northwest Arkansas nice areas. Sure it gets cold in the winter and ice and snow but it doesn't last for weeks. Just stay in the house for a couple days and put a heavier jacket on. Plus somewhere like Branson Missouri is much more conservative and pro gun than here in Florida. I'm from Missouri and find the politics of FL way too moderate for my liking. The gun laws are horrible. In MO I can open carry and don't need permission to conceal carry like here in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area