Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 01:03 PM

215 posts, read 260,698 times

Advertisements

Highly amusing thread! Trollsack & NP have to be thanked for providing a healthy dose of the ridiculous.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,083,113 times
I love San Jose.

Beautiful women, great weather, lots of things to do, great transit system.

There's awesome trails, great cheap restaurants (I have zero interest in four star places with full service but sj has that too), great parks. I count all of silicon valley as effectively boroughs of San Jose, so it has great theme parks like great America and a new football stadium if you're into that (I don't like watching men's sports generally).

Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,969,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollsack View Post
*sigh* Do I really have to repeat myself again?

I can accept that SJ does have some things to offer, just like any city, but sadly it is true that other cities have most of the attractions that SJ has to offer and they have a whole lot more, and forgot to mention more exciting, amenities than SJ. Don't believe me? Just look on websites that show things to do in certain cities, and look at multiple cities around the same size of SJ. You will notice that the list of amenities in SJ is way, way shorter than the lists of stuff in other cities even half the size of SJ.

San Jose's list of amenities, really not that exciting attractions if you ask me (mostly local parks and gardens):
Things to do in San Jose: Check out 80 San Jose Attractions - TripAdvisor

SF's list of amenities which is much longer than SJ's, where you get really cool stuff like the Golden Gate Park and Alcatraz:
Things to do in San Francisco: Check out 377 San Francisco Attractions - TripAdvisor
I'll pick one of my fave small cities: Charleston. It has about 120k people.

Things to do in Charleston: Check out 106 Charleston Attractions - TripAdvisor

San Jose has no there, there. There is no unique or distimct San Jose experience.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
San Jose has no there, there. There is no unique or distimct San Jose experience.
Winchester Mystery House, The Tech Museum, JapanTown, guadalupe river park and gardens, rose garden, alum rock park, almaden quicksilver county park, alviso, Raging Waters, the monopoly board, the children's discovery museum, the museum of art, the camera theaters...that's just off the top of my head.

Not to mention all the things which are technically not in San Jose, but are basically boroughs/suburbs thereof, such as the 49ers Stadium in Santa Clara, Great America in Santa Clara, the intel museum, airshows at Moffett Field/NASA, etc.

San Jose is a great city and only becoming greater.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:37 PM

According to the Guiness Book, this is the largest monopoly board in the world, and it is not in SF

Homepage

Old 09-19-2014, 12:50 AM

1,486 posts, read 293,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Winchester Mystery House, The Tech Museum, JapanTown, guadalupe river park and gardens, rose garden, alum rock park, almaden quicksilver county park, alviso, Raging Waters, the monopoly board, the children's discovery museum, the museum of art, the camera theaters...that's just off the top of my head.

Not to mention all the things which are technically not in San Jose, but are basically boroughs/suburbs thereof, such as the 49ers Stadium in Santa Clara, Great America in Santa Clara, the intel museum, airshows at Moffett Field/NASA, etc.

But there are more things in SF, and the landmarks in SF are even better. Over there you get Fisherman's Wharf, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Chinatown, the cable car, Pier 39, and a whole lot of other things. SJ's disappointing collection of small, non-famous museums and local parks have no match for the stuff in SF that actually sticks out and isn't so hidden.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:05 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,382,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post

I worked San Jose and lived in nearby Sunnyvale / Santa Clara for well over 10 years and I feel like it's a fine place to live assuming your paycheck(s) can absorb the housing gouge. But the list above is sort of laughable. We all know that there's only one real factor contributing to the exorbitant cost of living in SJ and the rest of SJ… Tech Jobs. A distant second is weather, but without the jobs it may still be pricy but not like we've been seeing over the past few decades. People move here for work, not mystery houses or monopoly boards.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 AM

197 posts, read 348,485 times
Growing up my mom would always remind me to look at the beautiful Santa Cruz Mountains that we are lucky enough to be surrounded by. I still make a point to take time to look at all of beauty around me. It seems like some people here need that same reminder.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:22 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,382,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
Growing up my mom would always remind me to look at the beautiful Santa Cruz Mountains that we are lucky enough to be surrounded by. I still make a point to take time to look at all of beauty around me. It seems like some people here need that same reminder.
Possibly, but reminders of how super-beautiful the SC Mtns are probably only hold water for people who have little else to compare it to.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:31 AM

197 posts, read 348,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Possibly, but reminders of how super-beautiful the SC Mtns are probably only hold water for people who have little else to compare it to.
I'm not sure what you mean by this but I assume it's an insult insinuating that I've never been out of the San Jose which is ridiculous. I'm 40 years old and have traveled enough to have a valid opinion. It's like trying to reason with my 9 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose