Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:57 PM

36,698 posts, read 67,730,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
It's where your average anti city troll enjoys living, when they are scared of melanin, think "diversity" is a sham and and hate Libs. They can go out in groups shopping while sipping on their 6 dollar soy latte's. While their husbands go around cheating at massage parlors behind their backs. They live in a pseudo utopia full of personal issues they hide on the outside.
100% true.

Those kinds of areas are all appearances-beneath the surface, you find intellectual depravation, a rampant sense of insecurity and an incredibly shallow mindset.

I have had more than my fair of experiences in places like Mission Viejo and while most suburanites are generally nice, there is a huge number of people in those kinds of places that are just so ridiculous that one just has to laugh(and shriek).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:00 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,262,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Oakland is way too sophisticated for the likes of Mission Viejo.
Yeah you're right, Oakland is diverse. I mean, you'd never see something this awesome in Mission Viejo. Go Oakland!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Yeah you're right, Oakland is diverse. I mean, you'd never see something this awesome in Mission Viejo. Go Oakland!!!
Botox and leopard print...how typically OC.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM

At least she's not going to fire an AK-47 into the air on the 4th of July. I'll take my chances.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:11 PM

527 posts, read 1,579,658 times
Quote:
I don't know.

I just saw a thread where Oakland denizens were masturbating over pictures of $1,000,000+ homes in the Oakland hills.

"Bettering Oakland" doesn't seem very high on the priority list, at least here on City-Data. That's usually what happens when wealth isn't diffuse, one side tends to forget the other side exist.
Oakland residents are used to the city being derided in a generalized fashion. That makes people defensive, and search for things of pride to counter the argument. The generalizations actually distract from the purpose of what we can do to help areas that need help. One step in the process is to acknowledge what Oakland has done well, and recognize the things about it we definitely do not want to change (for example, we are proud of our diversity, and would hate for Oakland to become another gentrified town with only well-off residents). Another step is to acknowledge what has gone wrong, and identify what does need to change.

It's a much more subtle, and difficult, problem to tackle, but like every problem, can be dealt with one step at a time.

I think getting to know your neighbors is a great first step - and, if Oakland residents are interested, there is a block party happening next to Woody's on Park on Saturday, June 5. A lot of times community outreach representatives show up that have a lot more insight into the issue than the average citizen, and can help mobilize the neighborhood in a productive fashion.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
At least she's not going to fire an AK-47 into the air on the 4th of July. I'll take my chances.
LOL

Yes, take your chances in Mesa or Henderson, those are the places that are worthy of comparing to Mission Viejo.

Bland, Boring and Blah.

I'm glad we're able to agree.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL

Yes, take your chances in Mesa or Henderson, those are the places that are worthy of comparing to Mission Viejo.

Bland, Boring and Blah.

I'm glad we're able to agree.
It's amazing to see you degenerate into this.

Are you really that insecure about where you live?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Oakland residents are used to the city being derided in a generalized fashion. That makes people defensive, and search for things of pride to counter the argument. The generalizations actually distract from the purpose of what we can do to help areas that need help. One step in the process is to acknowledge what Oakland has done well, and recognize the things about it we definitely do not want to change (for example, we are proud of our diversity, and would hate for Oakland to become another gentrified town with only well-off residents). Another step is to acknowledge what has gone wrong, and identify what does need to change.

It's a much more subtle, and difficult, problem to tackle, but like every problem, can be dealt with one step at a time.

I think getting to know your neighbors is a great first step - and, if Oakland residents are interested, there is a block party happening next to Woody's on Park on Saturday, June 5. A lot of times community outreach representatives show up that have a lot more insight into the issue than the average citizen, and can help mobilize the neighborhood in a productive fashion.
Well, at least you have hope, and that's to be respected, no matter how far fetched.

There used to be this place called Phat Matt's BBQ in Oakland that I used to go to about once a month when I was a grad student. You should go visit that place if you get the chance and have a hunger for well cooked meat.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
It's amazing to see you degenerate into this.

Are you really that insecure about where you live?
What do you think drives that reaction? Seriously. What prompts people to resort to childish insults? Perhaps it's in reaction to something equally immature? Come now. You profess to want to help Oakland, I'm telling you that flaming and baiting will not do it. You need to engage people in open dialogue. Use your wit, not simplistic insults that any child could come up with. Make people think. Challenge their paradigm. When has mud-flinging ever accomplished anything productive?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Well, at least you have hope, and that's to be respected, no matter how far fetched.

There used to be this place called Phat Matt's BBQ in Oakland that I used to go to about once a month when I was a grad student. You should go visit that place if you get the chance and have a hunger for well cooked meat.
Maybe you're correct, maybe it is far-fetched. But what is it they say? Nothing worth having is easy.

I'll check out that place though, I love good BBQ. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland