Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 10:58 AM

47 posts, read 99,684 times

Advertisements

Some this country-bumpkin from out of state (oregon) pulled off Hwy 101 southbound after driving 500 miles, onto the Millbrae Ave exit. This was a Friday night and I was a little stressed out by the amount of traffic on the Bay Bridge (forgot about the how many people go into the city to do whatever). I totally didn't expect the yellow light to be half as long as they are around here, thought I had plenty of time to make the turn onto Millbrae Ave. Light turned red a split second before I made my turn...I was already committed, and disco light show ensued...red light cameras went bananas.

so...I am NOT arguing my guilt or innocence here in this forum. (Red is red. and yellow means stop, not slow by some standards)

I know these things are reviewed supposedly by a human being (cough...cough, yeah right) and they may or may not send me a ticket if it's a judgment call.

I have not had a traffic ticket in about 30 years. I have no idea how much these things are. I got a speeding ticket in Boone County, Illinois for going like 95 mph in a 65 mph zone (I was really young) and it was only $25. I have a feeling times have changed and the Bay Area isn't Boone County, Illinois.

how much am I going to get fined if they send me a ticket? I want to be mentally prepared when and if a ticket shows up in the mail. should I file for bankrupcty now? and will my insurance double? Is my life ruined?

half hoping that they'll take pity on someone from out of state or it's too much trouble to chase down people from out of state.

(OR more than likely, it's easy money for them since someone from out of state isn't going to drive all the way back to challenge the ticket in court)

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 11:03 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,505 times
I am not privy to what the fine may or may not be.

1. However, you noticed the short yellow. That's a very common tactic used to justify both their installation and use. It's the oldest trick in the book. Countless municipalities have been busted for that. Whether or not this one is on the up and up, I can't say. I would defer you to here for further reading on the subject.

2. Sorry to say, but being from out of town makes you MORE likely to be cited. The reason is brutally honest. You are, statistically, less likely to contest it just on the basis of the hassle and inconvenience factor of making a second trip just to go to court to challenge it. Even though odds are likely stacked very high against you.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:17 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,521 times
Cites in that area are rather known for those red light cameras. I have always been extra careful when driving in cities such as South San Francisco or Milbrea .....I drive rather conservative to begin with.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:49 PM

45 posts, read 87,990 times
Hate to tell you, but it’s going to cost you about $500! You can Google it. Sorry……

Old 11-23-2021, 02:56 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,843 times
About 5 years ago I got dinged at that intersection twice in short order.

My recollection was that I got a court summons, pleaded guilty, got a reduced by still multi-hundred dollar fine and traffic school in exchange for no points.
The second time was 2 points and $700 IIRC.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:17 PM

215 posts, read 144,311 times
the best way to avoid red light tickets is get ready to stop when you see yellow, never run through yellow lights

when I see yellow, I start slowing down

Old 11-28-2021, 09:36 PM

423 posts, read 609,725 times
I got a ticket from red light camera in Fremont. This was around 7 years ago. Fine was $500. And then another $100 for traffic school.

At that time, what I read is that the rate of traffic ticket from cameras were actually quite low. They need to have picture that car was still behind the cross walk when light turned red. And they need to have clear identifiable image of driver's face.

Not sure about today.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:14 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,521 times
Making a right hand turn on a red light, just make sure you come to a complete stop first. The person who regularly cuts my hair, told me one time one of her clients got 3 red light camera tickets in the same day in the city of South San Francisco.....likely all from making a turn on red.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:55 AM

317 posts, read 307,675 times
That intersection and the next one by the BART station are horrible with those cameras - they are always going off. Even though you can turn right on red after a complete stop, I sometimes see them going off then also so I don't even bother. If it's red, I just patiently wait until it's not red anymore. I rather do that than have to spend time protesting a malfunctioning traffic cam or worse.
One of many perfect reasons to stay in Oregon and not come back to this state to the south. I'm not saying that in a messed up way. As a Bay Area native, I want to get out of this state and make the move to Oregon myself - just waiting for the right time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland