Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 11,565 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Just stumbled across this forum today and love (LOVE) it.

Planning to move to SF at the end of the year with my girlfriend. We won't be living together but would love to find places that are pretty close to one another (say less than a couple of miles). Here's what we're looking for:

Me - Work/live loft would be the best. I've seen a bunch in the Mission/Potrero Hill/SOMA area and I'm digging those. I'd ideally like to keep rent under $2,000 or find a place where I can get a roommate to share costs.

Her - Probably a one bedroom. A safe area is very important for her (less so for me being a guy). Coffee shops, restaurants, shopping, etc. within walking distance would be a plus. Thinking Potrero Hill or Noe Valley perhaps?

Other things that are important to us are relatively good weather (I think the places above fit the bill right?), access to some healthy/organic restaurants (my fav restaurant is Cafe Gratitude in the Mission) and parking that isn't an incredibly huge pain in the ass (have some friends who live in Russian Hill and finding parking there is the bane of my existence when I visit them).

If there are some other neighborhoods that are worth considering I'd love to hear about them. Also, if anyone has good suggestions for finding a place let me know. CraigsList is the obvious one and I'll ask around a lot with friends up there but if there are any other "secret" places we should look feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 11:02 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,115,987 times
Based on the above criteria, I'd say Potrero Hill is your best bet... decent weather (less foggy than other parts of SF), good shopping, easy parking, "mid-range" rent, lofts, etc. I'll come back later to add more, but that's my first thought! Also consider Bernal Heights, the Mission, and maybe even where I live - which I'll tell you about in a private message if you're curious.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,565 times
Thanks Gizmo. Potrero is definitely high on the list. I may do the Mission but it seems like Potrero is probably safer. Bernal Heights seems cool too. Would love to hear about where you live. PM Me!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 10,101 times
i actually have a question about where to go to. possibly moving to San Fran and have a dog, a boxer. just lucking on craigslists, seems the apts are not that pet friendly. i do like the loft idea. any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland