Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 86,022 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to SF from NYC. I am single, mid twenties. I visited SF last weekend and I found there to be no nightlife. I went to different areas around the city and Pacific Heights, as well. Do smart single men go out? Or does everyone go to bed early and wake up early to climb a mountain? How do people meet other singles if they don't go out on Friday or Saturday night? I thought there is suppose to be more single men than single women in SF. I'm not the athletic, mountain climbing type. Will I fit in to the SF scene? Please give me your opinions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,244,462 times
uhhh......where did you go to look for night life? There are plenty of places. And for future reference, Pacific Heights is NOT one of them.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,359,698 times
No nightlife?? Ugh, you're going to have NYC syndrome anywhere you go. Nothing else is a smothering metropolis. You'll have to seek things out. There's plenty to do, but you won't be beaten over the head with it.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:33 AM

13 posts, read 109,911 times
Exclamation highly recommended

Hi, there,
Single or Not , please check this out.
Legal Drinking Age Check
Should be a good starter point ! Good luck and let me know how that goes for you.
Oh, btw, welcome to SF!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:23 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wen5155 View Post
I am considering moving to SF from NYC. I am single, mid twenties. I visited SF last weekend and I found there to be no nightlife. I went to different areas around the city and Pacific Heights, as well. Do smart single men go out? Or does everyone go to bed early and wake up early to climb a mountain? How do people meet other singles if they don't go out on Friday or Saturday night? I thought there is suppose to be more single men than single women in SF. I'm not the athletic, mountain climbing type. Will I fit in to the SF scene? Please give me your opinions. Thanks
Like the others said, it's certainly not going to "match" NYC in terms of night-life, and Pacific Heights was the wrong place to look... but SF is still a big city, with plenty of activity! There are tons of clubs along Mission St., Market, Broadway, 24th St. (Potrero Hill), Columbus in North Beach, and so on. One of the hottest spots is Castro, but that's probably not where you'll meet ladies, LOL... of course you never know, since I was partying there recently - and as one of the only straight people (and women) in the bar, I would've been happy to meet you! Anyway, you shouldn't have any problems finding a social scene, as long as you don't expect it to be NYC.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:40 AM

2 posts, read 15,386 times
When I lived in sf I absolutely LOVED cafe on the corner of castro and market. They have great music (dj on the weekends), fair prices on drinks, Dance floor, pool tables, out door areas. I found it to be a very mixed crowd so whatever you are looking for there, whether a girlfriend/ boyfriend or something in between you will find it there. Wish you luck and have fun partying xoxo shelly

Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 PM

Default single girl/alone in SF

Thanks for your advice. I am still nervous about moving from NYC, leaving all my friends and family to try a new job and a new life. I don't know anyone but I know I haven't been happy in NYC. The dating scene is difficult, it's random and harsh. I'm a good looking 20 something girl, hoping that SF will give me more luck with men. I was wondering if anyone has had this experience.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Oh whoops... I thought you were a guy for some reason! So I guess some of my advice doesn't apply, but the overall points still do.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 AM

989 posts, read 2,443,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wen5155 View Post
Thanks for your advice. I am still nervous about moving from NYC, leaving all my friends and family to try a new job and a new life. I don't know anyone but I know I haven't been happy in NYC. The dating scene is difficult, it's random and harsh. I'm a good looking 20 something girl, hoping that SF will give me more luck with men. I was wondering if anyone has had this experience.

If you are a good looking 20 something girl, there's no reason why you should have any problems in any dating scene. Either you are shooting for the moon in expectations, or you aren't as good looking as you think. Attractive women should never have problems dating unless they are just too picky. In which case they deserve what they get.

I'm curious though, why is the NYC dating scene random and harsh?

Old 08-24-2007, 06:29 PM

Default dating in NYC

Ok, dating in NYC is harsh. This is not my thoughts, this is what it is if you ask anyone, male or female. The reason is because it is so random. You meet so many people on a given night and everyone is a little tipsy. Yes, everyone is shooting for the moon. If you walk anywhere in NYC you will see the average guy with the most beautiful girls. You see 30 year old beautiful girls going after the 25 year old investment bankers. I am good looking and my friends are, as well. Yes, I do have high expectations, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want a smart guy (I graduated ivy league so I don't want a dummy), and someone a little above average looking with a nice personality. If that is shooting too high, then what can I say. The girls here in NYC are mostly beautiful, smart and successful. The competition is fierce and the guys are brutal. Last night, for instance, I was on a date and the guy told me he makes a lot of money and he can get any girl he wants. This is the NY attitude...I kid you not. When I was visiting SF this guy told me that the girls in SF are not 9's or 10's like NY but more like 6's and 7's. I think this is probably true since NY and LA attact beautiful women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland