Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 AM

29 posts, read 22,441 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Northern California but would like to move to San Diego, Aliso Viejo, Newport Beach, Carlsbad, Laguna Beach, Dana Point or the like. I also hear that Long Beach may have some more affordable condos near the water, but I'm not sure it'd be my first pick. I would ideally like to live close to the ocean side, meaning having a residence with a view of it, not necessarily having to live right next to it. I'm looking at what i'd ideally like for the 2nd half of my life, remainder of my career and where I'd like to settle and enjoy my retirement years. So I'm looking primarily at a condo, because it is more affordable, lower maintenance, and I think it could be a bit more secure, depending on how it's laid out and what security features are offered. Aside from having views of the ocean from my residence, I'd like it to be somewhere safe/low crime, well-maintained, with plenty of grocery and shopping/retail options, and preferably a good hospital and public transportation system for when I get older. I'm looking at either 1bd/1ba + garage up to 2-3bd/2ba + garage condos. I'd like to keep it under $600K.

To be able to pursue this dream of mine, I'd have to find employment in the area. I currently work for the state in the IT field and just barely make 6-figures, with growth potential to earn more thru advancement down the road. So, ideally, I could transfer to a different state employer in SoCal, but so far it looks like there's not much I can find except maybe 30-40 minute commute from Long Beach. Other options would be federal jobs or county jobs.

I'd like to maintain the job security/stability I have now, least the same pay, and about the same hours and work-life balance (40hrs/wk, relatively little stress).

If residents of the aforementioned target areas have any recommendations or could share what my viable job options could be, that would be greatly appreciated.

If you live in a different but comparable area that I should also seriously consider, please let me know.

I envision being able to enjoy riding on bike paths along the ocean side like 4-5 days a week, perhaps. Maybe some walking or jogging. Whether I would take advantage of that over the long-run or end up taking it for granted over time and not doing it as much, I don't know. I'm hoping I would always take advantage of it and appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 11:55 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
I Work for the State and i can tell you that to get an IT Job here in San Diego at your current rate, Someone has to die first.
Most of the guys in and around the state jobs here in San Diego are in their 50,60,70's with plans on retiring. As soon someone does retire they eliminate their Position and spread the workload on everyone else. (but you already know that)

Sorry

Old 01-03-2019, 01:52 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
For Federal Job listings, the main job hunting site is USAJobs.gov. You can search it by location and keyword. There are probably more Federal jobs here in San Diego than state ones. So give USA Jobs a look and see what matches your experience and expertise. Just be aware that sometimes the Federal job hiring process can be lengthy. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-03-2019, 02:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
It's virtually impossible to get a Federal job these days unless you know someone. I have a friend who's been trying for two years (going on his third), and hasn't had any success yet.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It's virtually impossible to get a Federal job these days unless you know someone. I have a friend who's been trying for two years (going on his third), and hasn't had any success yet.
What move and Rosie said

Slim pickings
https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHRP...JobSearch.aspx

If you can get some sort of security clearance, the Government contractors pay well here in San Diego and are always looking for it people.
And 600K is going to go very far near the beach

but it can get you something really nice inland with a 10 min drive to the beach

Old 01-03-2019, 05:43 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,177,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAlbert View Post
...I currently work for the state in the IT field...
Have you considered getting into Cyber Security?
I work for the large Navy R&D Lab in San Diego, and I can tell you that we, and our Industry partners, are scrounging to find folks for these jobs, and they pay very well - particularly considering the education required; I know several former enlisted folks who are doing this work, and they are VERY well-compensated - even compared to degreed Engineers.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Have you considered getting into Cyber Security?
I work for the large Navy R&D Lab in San Diego, and I can tell you that we, and our Industry partners, are scrounging to find folks for these jobs, and they pay very well - particularly considering the education required; I know several former enlisted folks who are doing this work, and they are VERY well-compensated - even compared to degreed Engineers.
Thanks for the information. What would it entail to enable one to get into Cyber Security and be a viable candidate? Assuming one gets the academic credentials required, would it still be hard and perhaps take a long time to get into a federal job?

Old 01-03-2019, 09:57 PM

Thanks for all of those who have replied thus far. I really appreciate it. Could any of you provide feedback on which of the areas I noted in my original post above would be my best bets in terms of what I'm looking for and my employment needs?
Are there any other areas to consider that would also fit the bill?

Old 01-03-2019, 10:13 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Most Federal jobs are hiring recently separated service members. This way, the employer doesn't have to pay for having a clearance done on their new employee, they already have an active clearance, plus experience.

But if you know someone on the inside, that's a different story....

Old 01-03-2019, 11:00 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Most Federal jobs are hiring recently separated service members.
That isn't true. It really depends on what your area of expertise and experience is and the needs of the agency/department.

My husband is in charge of hiring for a large division at SpaWars (Navy Research Lab) and he hires plenty of professionals who don't have prior military experience but who have the necessary skills and education he needs (computer science, engineering, research and development, but other skills too).

Again, I'd suggest the original poster take a look at USA Jobs and see how his skills and experience align with current openings. While it isn't always easy to get into a Federal service position, and as I said the hiring process can take time, the only sure way NOT to be hired is to not apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego