Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:41 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,038,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcstuffin View Post
Yep, you said this:
But as I stated, J6pack can't wrap their head around the term "climate change" either. I've seen it on both sides confusing climate with weather. So, I agree with this statement from you:
except I would go farther and say it's very hard, not just kind of hard. Both "global warming" and "climate change" are correct and both terms are confusing to joe public. We'll just leave it there.
So because it's confusing, it should be changed. Regardless of the fact that it's accurate and correct.

You may not be a denier, but you are arguing your own version of what climate even means even after it's been explained by someone who actually knows what it means, and that's what I'm taking issue with. If you don't understand stuff, ask questions, don't insist that your limited understanding defines how it should actually be. It's incredibly frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:42 AM

358 posts, read 584,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
So because it's confusing, it should be changed. Regardless of the fact that it's accurate and correct.

Um, no.
So, you're saying global warming is not accurate and not correct? I think global warming is both accurate and correct. But Gentoo said it was confusing, which is why it was changed to climate change, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Because the average person doesn't understand Global Warming. Most people here that and think it will just get warmer as something they can feel and notice. Climate is much more complex than that.
Do you disagree with this statement?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,415,708 times
Quote:
I did. Concisely.

I also addressed your protestations about climate changing "all the time" in a post above. This is coming from a person who has actually studied meteorology and atmospheric dynamics and isn't just making things I read on Wikipedia mean what I want them to vs what they actually say. Because I actually know this stuff. So maybe, just maybe, you could concede that the person who knows what they are talking about might have a point, and that your idea of what climate means is erroneous, and therin lies the crux of why an observably changing climate is a big deal, and why climate change is actually a very accurate way to describe it.
Jenkay, he/she is not trying to discuss point by point but just trying to occupy you in an argument. Think about it, does it really take four long paragraphs to disagree with a person and state another opinion back up on facts? No. Just let this one go as food for park fed pigeons. They actually asked if I disagreed with my own statement LOL

Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcstuffin View Post
So, you're saying global warming is not accurate and not correct? I think global warming is both accurate and correct. But Gentoo said it was confusing, which is why it was changed to climate change, no?
Do you disagree with this statement?
They actually refer to two different things. Global warming being the overall average temperature rise of a couple of degrees, and climate change being the change in climatic conditions as a result of said overall average temperature shift.. Which means they are BOTH CORRECT. But climate change is more precise and directly addresses the phenomena that people are most concerned with.

The problem is not with the terminology. It's with the people using it. You claim "climate change" is confusing, but that is only because you have an erroneous idea of what the word climate means. If it was called anything besides climate change, it would be inaccurate. So changing the terminology to something that doesn't describe the phenomenon in as accurate a way would serve what purpose?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Jenkay, he/she is not trying to discuss point by point but just trying to occupy you in an argument. Think about it, does it really take four long paragraphs to disagree with a person and state another opinion back up on facts? No. Just let this one go as food for park fed pigeons. They actually asked if I disagreed with my own statement LOL
I just can't help but believe if you throw enough logic at someone they'll eventually get it. What can I say, I'm an optimist.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,415,708 times
Quote:
I just can't help but believe if you throw enough logic at someone they'll eventually get it. What can I say, I'm an optimist.
Yeah I know but when some have made up their minds, they will confuse it with their own bewilderment.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
They actually refer to two different things. Global warming being the overall average temperature rise of a couple of degrees, and climate change being the change in climatic conditions as a result of said overall average temperature shift.. Which means they are BOTH CORRECT. But climate change is more precise and directly addresses the phenomena that people are most concerned with.
I totally agree.

Quote:
The problem is not with the terminology. It's with the people using it. You claim "climate change" is confusing, but that is only because you have an erroneous idea of what the word climate means. If it was called anything besides climate change, it would be inaccurate. So changing the terminology to something that doesn't describe the phenomenon in as accurate a way would serve what purpose?
I claim "climate change" is confusing because I've seen average people use climate and weather interchangeably. But regardless, thanks for being patient and explaining your point.

I personally think something like "anthropogenic climate change" or something along that line would much clearer describe the actual problem we're faced with.

Last edited by docmcstuffin; 09-05-2014 at 02:37 AM..

Old 09-09-2014, 02:54 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,915,816 times
Quote:

This only works with intellectually honest.people. You will never meet an intellectually honest denier.because.they do not.exist. They are without exception fools and liars.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:40 PM

TIL... don't talk to zealots.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
This only works with intellectually honest.people. You will never meet an intellectually honest denier.because.they do not.exist. They are without exception fools and liars.
I was referring to the whole semantical argument, not whether or not a person believes in climate change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego