Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times

Advertisements

I've seen many people asking about where to find apartments in San Diego on this website, and the absolute best place to check is the San Diego Craigslist:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org

Anybody not already familiar with Craigslist, should definitely visit this website. It can literally change your life to where you spend part of every day searching used items for sale, housing ads, personal ads, group events, etc.

There is a huge Craiglist community, and Craigslist receives thousands of new ads every day.

Also, if apartments are too expensive in San Diego, consider finding people with houses to share in the "Rooms / Shared" section under Housing. There are lots of college students and young professionals looking to share apartments, houses, condos, townhomes, etc. This will also help you save on utility bills, since you will share things like cable TV and Internet connection.

Another good San Diego website for housing is Backpage.com

http://sandiego.backpage.com

It's very similar to Craigslist, but I find Craigslist gets more ads each day.

Last edited by RD5050; 11-21-2007 at 11:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,251 times
I'd pay the premium for a pay site like roommates.com.

I was contacted by someone who worked for CNN and lived out in rancho bernardo from an ad i posted on roommates.com. I never paid but I posted an ad on roommate. The reply I got was the most professional of all the calls I took from potential roommates. It was simply, she lived to far east. And then the fires came!

But point is, pay the premium for access to better potential roommates. It's not like the old days were you had to actually write a classified, envelope it, address it, stamp it and mail it Now days, any tweaker or idiot can click enter and post a classified. Trust me. Pay a couple extra dollars. It will be well worth the dollars as you'll waste less time dealing with scrubs.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 PM

Talking Craigslist !!!

Here is the link for San Diego Craigslist:

craigslist: san diego classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Here is the link for San Diego Backpage (similar to Craigslist):

san diego classifieds for apts, jobs, for sale - backpage.com

These are two EXCELLENT places to find apartments, houses, condos, rooms for rent, roommates, and lots of other classified ads (ex: stuff for sale, jobs, personal ads, group activities).

Many ads include pictures!

The majority of housing ads will show the name of the San Diego neigborhood where they are located.

If you are thinking about relocating to San Diego, definitely view Craigslist !!!

San Diego is one of the most active cities for Craigslist.

It gets hundreds of new classified ads every day !!!

These ads are free to post, and free to reply.

Last edited by RD5050; 12-05-2007 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,446 times
I think Craigslist is also a good resource. I've seen roommate ads in places I'd never thought I could afford. I will definitely use Craigslist when I move back.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM

bump!

Anyone not familiar with Craigslist San Diego .... definitely check it out!

craigslist: san diego classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

It's one of the best resource websites out there !!!

Find apartments, roommates, real estate, jobs, stuff for sale, stuff for free, personal ads, and the list goes on and on !!!

San Diego is one of the most popular Craigslist websites.

They get hundreds of new ads every day !!!

A friend told me about Craigslist a few years ago.

Now I view it every single day !!!

It is GREAT !!!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:57 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
I have been using Craigslist for many years, and yes it is a good resource. However there are a few caveats:

- The explosive growth and popularity of CL has also meant a big decrease in the quality of the listings. There is more junk, spam, and scams on CL today than there was even 3 years ago.

- CL die-hards tend to be very focused on getting things for free or nearly-free, so you tend to get a very low-quality mix of goods and services.

- when searching jobs, realize that many of the top employers will not use CL because of it's low-end image.

Personally I would be very careful about using CL to find a roommate. Your average CL user appears to be a bearded mid-40's single man with strange sexual and hygenic habits and a penchant for cheap 1970's furniture.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM

My experiences with using Craigslist have been mostly positive ones.

I agree that people who use it for buying stuff tend to want to get things as cheap as possible ... but that's the fun part !!! It's like playing the lottery. Sometimes people will sell very nice things for next to nothing just to get rid of it ... and if you are the lucky one to respond first ... you get to buy it. That's why it pays to check Craigslist several times a day. I've gotten some really nice things for free from CL.

One thing I've learned the hard way, is when you are lucky enough to respond first, arrange to get to the seller as soon as possible. Try to go as soon as you hang up the phone. If you arrange to go the next day ... the seller could still end up selling the item to someone else that night, if someone convinces the seller to let them come right over. The seller really doesn't care who he sells it to, as long as it is sold!

As far as finding roommates on CL, the roommates who place the ad tend to specify what gender(s) and age range they are looking for. They will also usually tell you what kind of lifestyle they have themselves, and specify what kind of roommate they are looking for.

Yes, there are single middle-aged bearded men using CL. But I've probably met close to a hundred San Diego CL users over the past few years, and I find they come in all ages, and backgrounds. Most are just normal, average working people and college students.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Default Save your CL Searches as a Favorite / Bookmark !!!

One other useful thing to know when using Craigslist ....

Bookmark (in Firefox) or save as a Favorite (in Internet Explorer) all of your Craigslist searches.

That way, you can quickly and easily click on the one link to see if anyone posted the item recently.

For example, if I am constantly searching Craigslist for roommate ads in Clairemont where the rent is under $650 a month, I would create the following search:

san diego craigslist > rooms & shares: search for "Clairemont"

I would then go to the above link, and save it under Favorite / Bookmarks.

Another example ... if I was searching for a used set of golf clubs priced between $100 - $200, I might create the following search:

san diego craigslist > sporting goods: search for "golf clubs"

I have several of these Craiglist search links saved as Favorites (Bookmarks) inside a "Craigslist Folder", and I check them every day !

Also, when you are searching to purchase something, don't always limit your search to a specific category (eg: Bicycles, Sporting Goods, etc). Sometimes the seller may put the item under "General" or "Garage Sale", so it pays to search the entire For Sale section. The "For Sale" link is found at the top of the sub-categories. It will search every sub-category.

Here is a sample search for a bike for $100 or less, where I check all of the For Sale section:

san diego craigslist > > for sale / wanted: search for "Bike"

Another useful search is to check the entire For Sale section for a given neighborhood. Here I am checking everything listed in Clairemont:

san diego craigslist > > for sale / wanted: search for "Clairemont"

This way, I have nothing specific in mind, but just wanted to see what people in the immediate area are offering for sale. Sometimes you don't know what you want to buy until someone puts it up for sale. Impulse shopping !!!

Last edited by RD5050; 01-25-2008 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
I do agree that more and more apartment listings are migrating to Craigslist. However, in my neighborhood I still see a fair number of signs posted on fences, lightpoles and yards, advertising rentals that I haven't seen posted on Craigslist. There are still a good number of older folks who own rental property who aren't very computer literate who try to let out their rentals the old-fashioned way, and I suspect because they don't generate as many interested callers are also low balling their rents by $25, $50, $100 per month. So, if you have a particular neighborhood in mind, it may still pay to buy a newspaper or just drive around the area and write down the phone numbers you see posted on signs. It's a world of transition out there and to cover all bases you need to check into all 3 options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego