Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 12:07 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,367 times

Advertisements

So, I just drove through downtown San Bernardino today, and it's not so insanely terrible as I thought. The intersection of Waterman Ave. and Base Line St. is reported, historically, the most-dangerous neighborhood in San Bernardino with all the public housing nearby. Lots of homeless people sleeping outside, but they mind their own business well without getting into trouble. The westside section from 215 freeway, where Mt. Vernon Ave. centers, is majority Hispanic and much safer than Waterman Ave. just slightly below Rialto's (surprisingly) low crime rate.

Now that the old public housings are already demolished, and new ones already built, pending, or going to be completed, what's next? Is downtown San Bernardino ready to be a tourist, art-life city in near future? This is a great time to jump into their insanely low housing prices (a little over $200,000) for easy potential to $500,000 after about 20 years.

New home builders, urgently, need to come in around south San Bernardino downtown area, and build some new townhomes there at affordable prices with lots of empty lots around, which is always the first step to revitalize downtown area. Similar to Compton's path... Why are they not here yet?

What do you think? Any future or hope in new tourist city of downtown San Bernardino? If you're a new mayor today who is highly-intelligent, what work must be done there to help the poverty people?

I would also love to hire DR Horton Express immediately there, and I actually found a perfect land for them to build on Waterman Ave. and 5th St. interchange next to a elementary school. I can imagine new townhomes build there starting at mid-$200,000s, a huge breathe of fresh air of new affordability and best investment return rate.

Last edited by waltchan; 12-01-2019 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 08:13 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
From another thread on San Bernardino:

https://graphics.latimes.com/san-bernardino-pride/

"San Bernardino — yes, even San Bernardino — has a lot to offer. And it’s worth publicizing that fact."

How California towns like San Bernardino got a bad reputation: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...131-story.html

Old 12-05-2019, 02:01 AM

242 posts, read 317,422 times
The SBX Green Line might be doing better for the northern part of the city, which is the wealthier part of the city.

The Park & Ride at Kendall Dr & Palm Ave is always full, unlike the one at E St & Marshall. Its probably commuters who are employees or students who work at CSUSB or Loma Linda University Medical Center/Loma Linda VA Hospital that use the park & ride, who live in Verdemont/Devore or do a half drive from Victorville. Adjacent to the Park & Ride are relocated Starbucks & Dairy Queen (which were next to Arco AM/PM & Burger King on the other side of the street), Pizza Hut, Waba Grill, Nails & Spa place, but the only thing still missing is a supermarket. A new Shell gas station is in the works next to Dennys, but that's on the other side of the freeway.

CSUSB got a Dickeys BBQ & few other businesses.

There might be also some new businesses or apartments being built next to Stater Bros/Rite Aid at Kendall & 40th. A 76 gas station was also proposed to be built there, but I guess the permits didn't pass for that one.

Downtown might still have a tough fight. Pepboys recently closed (don't know if temporary) & Sears might be seeing its final days. The 99 Cent Only Store at 4th St closed a few years ago (too close to the one at Inland Center, probably).

Old 12-08-2019, 06:04 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
San Bernardino has always been a wonder to me. Given the anti-density, anti-development Nimby's in the coastal areas and West L.A. and other parts, it would be a dream for this city to advertise: Build what you want here, and no height restrictions, no Nimby's to contend with, and we have a commuter line that will take you directly to downtown L.A.. And why hasn't this happened?

I do believe this city will eventually be gentrified, citified one day and become of Jewel of the Inland Empire.

I guess when I think of either San Bernardino or Riverside I think of, potentially, the worst air quality in the L.A. area, due to the blockage of the mountains.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:15 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I guess when I think of either San Bernardino or Riverside I think of, potentially, the worst air quality in the L.A. area, due to the blockage of the mountains.
It is more than just the blockage of the mountains.

Prior to The Clean Air Act of 1970, sunlight used to turn tailpipe emissions into photochemical smog in about 2 hours. During the 1970s, because of the CAA, there was substantial reformulation of retail gasoline sold in Southern California to reduce pollution - and one of the effects was to delay the amount of time it took for tailpipe emissions to turn into photochemical smog. By 1980, it took 8 hours. Just enough time for tailpipe emissions from LA to blow to San Bernardino whereupon they then turned into smog.

Good for LA air. Bad for San Bernardino air.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
There's often smog in the San Bernardino Valley. Once you cross the Claremont border into Upland and it doesn't relent until you get past Loma Linda to the hills around Redlands.

It seems to be drawn toward the Cajon Pass before filtering out over the chaparral below Hesperia.

You really notice it when the Catalina Eddy is moderately active, as it tends to push everything into the valleys.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:54 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
There's often smog in the San Bernardino Valley. Once you cross the Claremont border into Upland and it doesn't relent until you get past Loma Linda to the hills around Redlands.
Bad smog doesn't end until you leave city of Redlands, CA to Beaumont, CA next on 10 freeway.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I do believe this city will eventually be gentrified, citified one day and become of Jewel of the Inland Empire.
I do pray for San Bernardino, someday, will be the new economic power city like Riverside in Inland Empire.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:39 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,614,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_Corners View Post
I do pray for San Bernardino, someday, will be the new economic power city like Riverside in Inland Empire.
That's what San Bernardino was, decades ago. Berdoo was the "it" city of the IE, not Riverside, at least in the '70s and '80s. Things changed when Berdoo's economy tanked in the '90s and crime began ramping up at previously unseen levels, as it crept eastward past the Mt. Vernon meridian. The Inland Center Mall was routinely packed with people, as was the Carousel Mall. You could drive up and down E Street and find yourself caught up in just about anything. Hopefully the city will make a comeback.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's what San Bernardino was, decades ago. Berdoo was the "it" city of the IE, not Riverside, at least in the '70s and '80s. Things changed when Berdoo's economy tanked in the '90s and crime began ramping up at previously unseen levels, as it crept eastward past the Mt. Vernon meridian. The Inland Center Mall was routinely packed with people, as was the Carousel Mall. You could drive up and down E Street and find yourself caught up in just about anything. Hopefully the city will make a comeback.

Yes, I remember it that way. There were lots of orange groves, the city was clean and well-maintained, businesses were thriving, and there was an awesome (long gone) concert venue.

I feel saddened by what has happened to Berdoo (what locals called it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties