Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,710 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm considering a great job opportunity in Loma Linda. I currently live in a big city. Hubby and I are thinking of living in Pasadena as it's relatively busy and close enough to the craziness of the city. Hubby will be working in DTLA. Is commuting back and forth from Pasadena to Loma Linda sustainable?
I wouldn't want to get sick of being in a car, and I worry that it will eventually affect how I view my job. The job itself has me really excited.
And are there any tricks? Fast lanes to get to LL? anything that might help make it a less painful drive?
Any ideas/comments welcome! Thank you
K

Last edited by kiraleen; 04-03-2016 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 07:49 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
Long drive but going against the main traffic flow. Probably about an hour each way. People do that drive daily in the opposite direction which is worse.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,710 times
Thanks! Was worried there would be lots of traffic in both directions. Good to know!

Old 04-04-2016, 12:50 AM

371 posts, read 637,220 times
If you're taking the 210, traffic going in the opposite direction of the main commute can still back up badly. Not sure how the 10 would fare, but I've had more than my share of stop-and-go traffic on both sides of the 210 at different points in the day. I would not want to make that commute regularly.

You may want to look further east in the San Gabriel Valley along the Gold Line Extension route instead.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:25 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
I don't think traffic would be bad (by LA standards) reverse commuting but 60 miles each way would get old fast IMO.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiraleen View Post
Fast lanes to get to LL?
If you have a zero-emissions car or a motorcycle or can carpool, you could use the fast HOV lanes

Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Everything everyone has already said is 100% on point... however, keep in mind the trip from Pasadena to Loma Linda is about 60 miles one way. That's 120 miles of driving every day (approx 30,000 miles a year just to and from work). The lack of serious rush hour traffic should certainly mitigate the pain a bit, but it's still a lot of miles/wear and tear to consider.

You can live as far east as Azusa right now and still have good access to the gold line trains into Pasadena and DTLA. You could even go a little further east to Glendora and San Dimas and make the short drive to Azusa until the stations in those cities are operational.

I would also suggest looking into Claremont, which to me is somewhat like a mini-Pasadena. A really vibrant downtown with plenty of things to do and a Metrolink station that will take you to LA Union station in about an hour and a half.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:51 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
I personally couldn't do that commute. Too far of a drive for me at least five times a week. I'd arrive to work miserable every day. That's just me. Others do it and are fine with it.

-Cheers.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:06 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
Everything everyone has already said is 100% on point... however, keep in mind the trip from Pasadena to Loma Linda is about 60 miles one way. That's 120 miles of driving every day (approx 30,000 miles a year just to and from work). The lack of serious rush hour traffic should certainly mitigate the pain a bit, but it's still a lot of miles/wear and tear to consider.

You can live as far east as Azusa right now and still have good access to the gold line trains into Pasadena and DTLA. You could even go a little further east to Glendora and San Dimas and make the short drive to Azusa until the stations in those cities are operational.

I would also suggest looking into Claremont, which to me is somewhat like a mini-Pasadena. A really vibrant downtown with plenty of things to do and a Metrolink station that will take you to LA Union station in about an hour and a half.
Claremont to LA Union Station on Metrolink is about 50 minutes, not 1.5 hours. Good way to commute.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Claremont to LA Union Station on Metrolink is about 50 minutes, not 1.5 hours. Good way to commute.
True. I meant realistically from door-to-door. It's a great way to commute. Used to do it from City of Industry to DTLA when I worked there. It's nice being able to doze off for a bit on the way to or from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties