Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:11 AM

48 posts, read 375,797 times

Advertisements

All it takes is to watch the local news. Any on-the-scene reports have notoriously refered to locations in which news takes place as a "side" of town. For instance: "Murder on the Northside", "Reporting from the Westside", etc.

My point is that San Antonio has become a large enough city that, refering to a "side" of the city generally means it could be anywhere. The Northside can pertain to an area anywhere from IH10 to the west Loop 410 to the south, IH 35 to the east and maybe 1604 on the north. That is a huge expanse of the city and to refer to a specific location should not be as general as such.

I would like to start to point out certain smaller areas of the city as districts so that locations can be made specific to a part of the city.

San Antonio is not a small town anymore and it seems more fitting to places like New Braunfels or San Marcos to be calling any location there a "side" of town.

I would like to map out S.A. so that we can be get a better idea of where we live within the city.

An example would be that if someone asks you where you live and you say the Northside (too general for a populated area of over 400,000), you can now say something more specific like perhaps the "North Star district" or "Encino" or "Colonies North" or "Shavano". Through time (years) we can become familiar with these districts as a whole and comprehend a specific area.

Other major cities have used these identities which add a certain uniqueness and sense of place in an area in which they live. Houston has: Midtown, Montrose, Rice, University, Museum district, just to name a few.

As a collective effort please help me to sort out areas in which you live in S.A. and we'll map out these places for future reference.

More later.

Thanks,

Maxus40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
That's why I always say Alamo Heights even though I'm a few streets east of N. New Braunfels and a street north of Terrell Hills. I'm still an '09er forever and always.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:00 AM

925 posts, read 1,228,076 times
I would think that the north side, south side westside, east side are districts themselves in the same manor as Chicago and how they have the South side and North side, etc.

However, if you\'d like to see the citys official lay out of neighborhoods/districts in San Antonio, here you go.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...d/0704GJ01.pdf

Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 AM

thats the idea smuboy. sometimes even "09 district" can apply.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I would think that the north side, south side westside, east side are districts themselves in the same manor as Chicago and how they have the South side and North side, etc.

However, if you\'d like to see the citys official lay out of neighborhoods/districts in San Antonio, here you go.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...d/0704GJ01.pdf
But Chicago has much more distinctive neighborhoods as anyone who has ever lived there can tell you. No one in Chicago refers to anything as "Northside" or "Southside" unless you're talking about the Cubs and Sox.

For example, on Chicago's north side, there is Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Uptown, Lakeview, Lakeview East, Rogers Park, Wicker Park, Wrigleyville, Gold Coast, etc., etc., etc. Each of those neighborhoods has its own distinctive flavor and vibe. Many of the neighborhoods developed around pockets of immigrants who all lived in one particular area. Many of those pockets still exist, but many are changing too.

The big difference between Chicago and San Antonio is that these neighborhoods have existed for decades and each neighborhood has it's own identity...certain income groups, certain ethnic groups, and so on. You can make generalizations about someone based on where they live. Most of the people who live in Lincoln Park are young, and have well paying jobs because Lincoln Park is one of the most trendy, expensive neighborhoods in the city. If you live in Wicker Park, you're probably more into the arts. Gold Coast, old money.

You could make some of those generalizations about the older areas of San Antonio, but as it continues to expand, it's harder to keep track....and according to that map, I don't live in a neighborhood at all because there's not a registered neighborhood association where I live.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I live in Bohemian Alamo Heights. Better known as Mehncke Park. It's 09 but I always say it s the poor end of Alamo Heights. It's in SA, but everyone thinks becaue your zip is 09, it's Alamo Heights. I always have to explain it's NOT Alamo Heights.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:29 PM

should we call mahncke park- south heights???

Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 AM

69 posts, read 301,618 times
I have no Idea where I live. I just refer to it "by Fiesta Texas" or "by UTSA, the main campus". Someone please enlighten me.... DeZavala & I10

Old 04-21-2007, 10:53 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr7025 View Post
I have no Idea where I live. I just refer to it "by Fiesta Texas" or "by UTSA, the main campus". Someone please enlighten me.... DeZavala & I10
that's wal-mart heights.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:00 AM

69 posts, read 301,618 times
LMAO... In that case, I think I'll stick to my own interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio